ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The New C8 Corvette is Revealed

gTHIYXJ.gif

Interesting - the C8 actually has 3" more space in front of the rear firewall than the C7, allowing for an additional 13 degrees of seat recline and another inch of seat travel. So it might actually fit your freakishly elongated frame. :)
Seat recline helps for headroom! In the C4, my car had the glass top, so it was thinner than the normal top and it gave me that extra smidgen of space for my melon.

FYI - I'm scheduled to buy my mid-life crisis car in a few years. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: rutgersal
Seat recline helps for headroom! In the C4, my car had the glass top, so it was thinner than the normal top and it gave me that extra smidgen of space for my melon.

FYI - I'm schedule to buy my mid-life crisis car in a few years. :)

I'm thinking of picking up a end of lease C7 next spring or the spring after for the last six months of the lease. I can't justify owning one but I'll pay up for six non-snow months to drive one for the spring, summer, fall. That should be enough to get it out of my system. I'm already driving a Raptor so I don't have full blown mid-life-car-crisis.

I think the main concern is that it's primary competition is the 718 Boxter.

The Boxter sets a pretty high bar in this category.

I think the main concern is that it's primary competition is the 718 Boxter.

The Boxter sets a pretty high bar in this category.

Nah. Boxster has a Turbo 4. This is an obtainable for more people, Ferrari. It’s GMs halo car.

Nah. Boxster has a Turbo 4. This is an obtainable for more people, Ferrari. It’s GMs halo car.
I understand your engine argument, but they are comparable because they are in the same price segment, IMO.

For instance, it is generally believed that the NSX sells poorly because it borders entry level McLaren territory. Their engine profiles are very different.

I understand your engine argument, but they are comparable because they are in the same price segment, IMO.

For instance, it is generally believed that the NSX sells poorly because it borders entry level McLaren territory. Their engine profiles are very different.

Plus if you're gonna fork over that much cash why get a Acura.

With the buttons down the spine? WTF? They could have put all that button functionality on the touchscreen. Heck it probably is. Those buttons are like I don't even know.

The driver basically has to look at the passenger's knee to find the, what, seat warmer button or defroster or heat while driving. That's distracting.

I see a lot of rich Vette fans going straight to Foose or Kindig to fix that interior.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say those are duplicate buttons. For folks who need a physical button for controls, rather than using the infotainment system. GM's invested a ton of money in their infotainment systems and dare I say it works pretty darn well.

I fear that some will say the same thing about Chevy.

This was my main argument and why I brought up the Boxter.

The Vette starts at $60K - Figure <$70 out the door. Can't say that for the NSX.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say those are duplicate buttons. For folks who need a physical button for controls, rather than using the infotainment system. GM's invested a ton of money in their infotainment systems and dare I say it works pretty darn well.

No I agree. It's just a terrible look from the pics. Maybe it's better in person.

I'll bet the number of phys buttons gets reduced and then moved elsewhere in later years.

The WOB is just WEIRD

I said the Vette will be hard pressed to compete with the Boxter in terms of price.

Rutgersal disagreed with the comparison given that they have different engines.

I said it’s a valid comparison because NSX sales suffer because it’s in McLaren territory. Folks will just buy the McLaren at that price.

Circling back, I think folks will just buy the Boxter at 70K, regardless of what’s under the hood.

I think the Boxster and Vette have fundamentally different missions with crossover characteristics. The Boxster (and Cayman) are canyon carvers. The Vette is, to me, a true GT car. It may not be able to easily keep up with the Porsche on the Tail of the Dragon, but it will flat outrun it on the highway.

I think the Boxster and Vette have fundamentally different missions with crossover characteristics. The Boxster (and Cayman) are canyon carvers. The Vette is, to me, a true GT car. It may not be able to easily keep up with the Porsche on the Tail of the Dragon, but it will flat outrun it on the highway.
I agree with what you're saying here.

However, there are only so many people in the 70K sportscar market.

Not a “bad” looking car, but there are a lot of poor transitions visually in terms of its lines. So many “lines to nowhere”.

I fear it’ll look dated quickly.

Actually, with all the teasers over the years, it kinda already does look dated.
It looks like what 10-year-olds draw when they are drawing their ultimate sports car, but what only about 5 percent of them would still want it to look like by the time they are adults (aside from the Accord, their actual first choice).

My friend and I used to come up with variations on this all the time when we were kids like that.

Reactions: miketd1
Corvette has completely gotten away from muscle car and has fully embraced the super car model essentially eliminating the middle class from becoming a prospective buyer.

The average car costs more than $30,000 now, so many middle-class families have long been eliminated from buying true high-performance cars for quite a while. In any case, I see quite a few working stiffs, including my brother-in-law, driving loaded crew-cab pickup trucks that are every bit as expensive as base Corvette.

With the buttons down the spine? WTF? They could have put all that button functionality on the touchscreen. Heck it probably is. Those buttons are like I don't even know.

The driver basically has to look at the passenger's knee to find the, what, seat warmer button or defroster or heat while driving. That's distracting.

I see a lot of rich Vette fans going straight to Foose or Kindig to fix that interior.

Many manufacturers eschew the notion of full touchscreens because they are difficult to operate during focused driving. The best infotainment systems use a combination of touch and controller, such as Audi's MMI and BMW's iDrive. Even Ford has added hard controls to its shifty Sync system.

What's this world coming to? No manual transmission!!!

The center tunnel is a single aluminium casting which serves as a rigid structural component. They didn't want to compromise it by cutting holes in it. DSG transmissions are lighter, faster and more reliable.

60 years in the making. No fewer than half a dozen formal prototype efforts during that time. At least four generations of "will they do it this time?" teasing. Finally, the new 2020 Corvette is a mid-engine car, just like a McClaren 720 or Ferrari F8.

It's radically different. The design language has been revised to accommodate moving the engine behind the seats, while still retaining key 'Vette styling cues. The leaf spring suspension is gone, for the first time in the car's 64 year production run. There is no manual transmission, not even as an option - power is directed to the wheels via a Tremec 8-speed dual-clutch gearbox that is fully electronically controlled - there is no shift linkage.

The chassis of the C8 is entirely aluminum and carbon fiber, so the structure is stiffer than any previous version. Curb weight is quoted at 3366 lbs. which, combined with the 495 hp from the 6.2 liter V-8 (designated LT2) will allow 0 - 60 times of 3.0 seconds. All this can be had for a base price of $59,995.

The styling of the new mid-engine car may be polarizing, but I personally think it's pure hotness.
2020-chevrolet-c8-corvette-005.jpg
'Vettes have always been a lot of car/power for relatively little money, and this just took that to a new (and better) level. What's its top end?

Undisclosed, but my guess would be 174.

I would hope it would be more than that. I drive a 2004 C5 and that generation tested out at about 170 mph when it came out. The standard C7 reached 193 in a speed test, and the current souped-up ZR1 is rated at 212.

I would hope it would be more than that. I drive a 2004 C5 and that generation tested out at about 170 mph when it came out. The standard C7 reached 193 in a speed test, and the current souped-up ZR1 is rated at 212.

My guess is that they'll tag top speed to the tire and suspension options, so that would be 174 on the base Stingray. Future trim levels will probably flirt with 200.

Many manufacturers eschew the notion of full touchscreens because they are difficult to operate during focused driving. The best infotainment systems use a combination of touch and controller, such as Audi's MMI and BMW's iDrive. Even Ford has added hard controls to its shifty Sync system.

Yeah I get that but the wall of buttons is a terrible solution to that.

I think the manufacturers are getting away from unlimited speed as a liability issue.

Last edited:
Yeah I get that but the wall of buttons is a terrible solution to that.

I'm thinking the wall of buttons isn't purely infotainment. A closeup of the array would be nice, but I haven't seen one yet.

Chevy isn't unique, here. Witness the similar (albeit better executed) Porsche Macan:

2018prs030004_640_12.jpg

Reactions: RUScrew85
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT