ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The New C8 Corvette is Revealed

I think the back is a little busy and maybe not the best view of the car but I think it is ok. Do any of the ass ends of the other cars hold two set of clubs in the trunk? This requirement limits what you can do with the rear but I think it is a good tradeoff to make the car more practical. As mentioned a little above, I read you can program in GPS locations where the car's nose will raise 40 MM if you know you may bottom out, like if you have a steep driveway or speed bumps. Nice.

I read you can program in GPS locations where the car's nose will raise 40 MM if you know you may bottom out, like if you have a steep driveway or speed bumps. Nice.
I have a front-axle lift in one of my cars which would otherwise not get into and out of my driveway without scraping pretty badly. I would love a GPS based trigger on it, although in my experience, non-military GPS can be pretty vague at times so I could see where it might not be as great as advertised.

OTOH, tying the axle-lift to a combination of GPS, and wifi presence would be less error-prone, at least for getting it to work at home.

Would be nice if we could add solar-powered transmitters to utility poles at the ends of streets so we could use those to trigger various devices (like front-axle lifts, mobile device apps, etc.) more precisely.

The Ford GT is way nicer looking. And yeah, from that one angle, it looks okay. But the true test of a great car design is that it looks good from all angles. And this one doesn't meet that standard.

Also, that image seems to have been tampered with, or the car itself isn't stock. Look at the lack of wheel gap, particularly in the rear. That's not what the car actually looks like.

Also, the larger rear wing isn't what's shown in any of the reviewer or press photos I've seen. And the wheels are different.

Ok ok. I guess I should have been more specific. I love the Ford GT, also love the Viper. But they're not in the same class. Not really fair to compare... of course it's not a Ferrari. This car, in my opinion, is the best looking production american sports car that could reasonably be in my (and a lot of yours) garage in the next few years. That's exciting to me.

Ok ok. I guess I should have been more specific. I love the Ford GT, also love the Viper. But they're not in the same class. Not really fair to compare... of course it's not a Ferrari. This car, in my opinion, is the best looking production american sports car that could reasonably be in my (and a lot of yours) garage in the next few years. That's exciting to me.
Fair enough.

So after reading this, I had to go find a picture of the rear end. Dear god!

my20-corvette_torchred_0132.jpg

Cluttered is the best word I can come up with to describe it.
Yikes!

beautiful. I would buy this if I didn't have a family that I need to fit into a backseat lol

60 years in the making. No fewer than half a dozen formal prototype efforts during that time. At least four generations of "will they do it this time?" teasing. Finally, the new 2020 Corvette is a mid-engine car, just like a McClaren 720 or Ferrari F8.

It's radically different. The design language has been revised to accommodate moving the engine behind the seats, while still retaining key 'Vette styling cues. The leaf spring suspension is gone, for the first time in the car's 64 year production run. There is no manual transmission, not even as an option - power is directed to the wheels via a Tremec 8-speed dual-clutch gearbox that is fully electronically controlled - there is no shift linkage.

The chassis of the C8 is entirely aluminum and carbon fiber, so the structure is stiffer than any previous version. Curb weight is quoted at 3366 lbs. which, combined with the 495 hp from the 6.2 liter V-8 (designated LT2) will allow 0 - 60 times of 3.0 seconds. All this can be had for a base price of $59,995.

The styling of the new mid-engine car may be polarizing, but I personally think it's pure hotness.
2020-chevrolet-c8-corvette-005.jpg

I'm sure many old school Vette fans won't like the styling, but I'm 100% with you on your take - pure hotness.

WTH? Did they add forced induction or something? Cause 301hp and 267ft-lbs ain't gonna move that thing that much.

It is, in fact, supercharged in the S and 400 models. Still, the Evora isn't noted for its breakaway speed. 0-60 for the Evora 400 is 4.1 seconds, which is more than a second slower than the C8 Corvette.

It seems like there are very large areas devoted to air intake including the large area at the front and two large intakes along the back sides. Can someone explain why this design requires so much air intake surface area?

It seems like there are very large areas devoted to air intake including the large area at the front and two large intakes along the back sides. Can someone explain why this design requires so much air intake surface area?

The heat exchanges ("radiators", to most non-car folks) are still located in the front.

Update: All Those Buttons, Explained

I found this pretty specific write-up on SlashGear:

First up you have a rocker to control the driver-side temperature: there’s a little arrow just above to show which side of the car it’s focusing on. Below that are the buttons to control the headed and ventilated seats, each of which have three levels of operation.

2020-Chevrolet-Corvette-Stingray-dash-1.jpeg

The “Sync” button to link temperature control of the two-zone HVAC is below that, and then the “Auto” button to leave the fans and vents to the Corvette’s own devices. Under that are three buttons to manually control airflow, and then a rocker switch below that for fan control.

2020-Chevrolet-Corvette-Stingray-dash-2.jpeg

Next comes the HVAC power button, to turn the whole system off, along with the A/C button for shutting off the compressor, and then the recirculated air button. The front windshield demist and heated rear window keys come after that. Finally, we’re back in a repeat of the initial controls only for the passenger side: heated and ventilated seats first, then the temperature control rocker.

Update: All Those Buttons, Explained

I found this pretty specific write-up on SlashGear:

First up you have a rocker to control the driver-side temperature: there’s a little arrow just above to show which side of the car it’s focusing on. Below that are the buttons to control the headed and ventilated seats, each of which have three levels of operation.

2020-Chevrolet-Corvette-Stingray-dash-1.jpeg

The “Sync” button to link temperature control of the two-zone HVAC is below that, and then the “Auto” button to leave the fans and vents to the Corvette’s own devices. Under that are three buttons to manually control airflow, and then a rocker switch below that for fan control.

2020-Chevrolet-Corvette-Stingray-dash-2.jpeg

Next comes the HVAC power button, to turn the whole system off, along with the A/C button for shutting off the compressor, and then the recirculated air button. The front windshield demist and heated rear window keys come after that. Finally, we’re back in a repeat of the initial controls only for the passenger side: heated and ventilated seats first, then the temperature control rocker.
Is that the "hockey stick" icon in case you get road rage and want to beat the shit out of another driver? I hate most icons these days - I get that it saves them money printing in different languages and the regular driver will learn the icons, but just print the damn word or two that describes its functionality. Get off my lawn rant over.

Is that the "hockey stick" icon in case you get road rage and want to beat the shit out of another driver? I hate most icons these days - I get that it saves them money printing in different languages and the regular driver will learn the icons, but just print the damn word or two that describes its functionality. Get off my lawn rant over.

I like the arrangement and could see myself easily getting used to it. You don't use those buttons a lot, so taking them off the dash seems to make some amount of sense. IMO, getting them off the damn touch screen makes tons of sense. There's little more aggravating than having to dig through menus to change the temperature. Car manufacturers are starting to realize that pure touch is a stupid idea (because the customer and editorial feedback has been scathing) and you're starting to see some of them add back some manual controls.

I like the arrangement and could see myself easily getting used to it. You don't use those buttons a lot, so taking them off the dash seems to make some amount of sense. IMO, getting them off the damn touch screen makes tons of sense. There's little more aggravating than having to dig through menus to change the temperature. Car manufacturers are starting to realize that pure touch is a stupid idea (because the customer and editorial feedback has been scathing) and you're starting to see some of them add back some manual controls.

i think i heard someone say that up and down control buttons design is from one of the old vetts.
agree that some auto manufacturers are recently going back to simple temp control design based on customer feedback.

I know you're a car buff. Check out the History Channel if you haven't already. They have a 3 part series called, "Cars that Made America". Pretty good.

60 years in the making. No fewer than half a dozen formal prototype efforts during that time. At least four generations of "will they do it this time?" teasing. Finally, the new 2020 Corvette is a mid-engine car, just like a McClaren 720 or Ferrari F8.

It's radically different. The design language has been revised to accommodate moving the engine behind the seats, while still retaining key 'Vette styling cues. The leaf spring suspension is gone, for the first time in the car's 64 year production run. There is no manual transmission, not even as an option - power is directed to the wheels via a Tremec 8-speed dual-clutch gearbox that is fully electronically controlled - there is no shift linkage.

The chassis of the C8 is entirely aluminum and carbon fiber, so the structure is stiffer than any previous version. Curb weight is quoted at 3366 lbs. which, combined with the 495 hp from the 6.2 liter V-8 (designated LT2) will allow 0 - 60 times of 3.0 seconds. All this can be had for a base price of $59,995.

The styling of the new mid-engine car may be polarizing, but I personally think it's pure hotness.
2020-chevrolet-c8-corvette-005.jpg
And here's what it looks like after a wreck on a winding mountain road in the Sierra foothills!

https://www.uniondemocrat.com/local...orvette-stingray-crashes-into-two-vehicles-on
My apologies if this is a password protected site.

Just my guess, but this first intro model is a normally-aspirated engine. But the design will allow for a supercharged or twin-turbo version down the road. Need to scoop lots of air.

Chevrolet has released the pricing guides for the C8, now available on the web site.

Also, they have published that the top speed of the base Stringray is 194 mph.

I saw one in person.. it looked pretty good. You can't really expect a 190K sports car for 60-70... but you can expect that this will be another solid performing poor mans super car.

its not 1990 anymore... You have 35K accords, 50K, 3&4 Series, and 60K pick up trucks
The difference is the Vette only seats 2. The utility is far less and the the value proposition is significantly different.

Even the 911 has a back seat for babies/toddlers.

The difference is the Vette only seats 2. The utility is far less and the the value proposition is significantly different.

Even the 911 has a back seat for babies/toddlers.

Cite for us the percentage of 911 owners who transport "babies / toddlers" in the back seat.

Generations of car magazine editors and Porsche owners have declared the back seat of a Carrera "pointless". Also, a well-equipped 911 is 50 large more than the 'Vette. Both are personal sports cars, period. The C8 is an outstanding value prop.

Reactions: theRU and jtung230
Cite for us the percentage of 911 owners who transport "babies / toddlers" in the back seat.

Generations of car magazine editors and Porsche owners have declared the back seat of a Carrera "pointless". Also, a well-equipped 911 is 50 large more than the 'Vette. Both are personal sports cars, period. The C8 is an outstanding value prop.
I was responding to theRU who is/was suggesting there are more people shopping for 70K vehicles than I think.

I was saying sure, but the Vette only has 2 seats.

That has to factor in with regards to that subset of buyers.

I was responding to theRU who is/was suggesting there are more people shopping for 70K vehicles than I think.

I don't think it does.

Reactions: theRU

Totally agree about the C8. Assuming it handles as well as expected, and doesn't have any persistent glitches, it's pretty difficult to argue that the C8 Corvette is a truly amazing value proposition regardless of not having a backseat. That kind of performance for 60K is just crazy.

I'd probably argue that the gap between what's likely to be a typical C8 (60K + 20K options) and a typical base model 992 911 Carrera (100K + 50K options) is larger than 50K, probably closer to 70K.

Reason being is that the definition of well-equipped in the modern 911 world, while hard to pin down, probably runs more than most people realize. There are a ton of options and some are very expensive. 30K would be considered on the low-optioned side, and 90K would be on the high-optioned side. It's easy to spend well over 100K in options when doing choosing to do some of the custom interior and exterior stuff, which is highly prized by 911 owners. So 50K is fairly typical.

Believe it or not, I see a bunch of 911 owners who take their young kids along in the back seat. I have also seen guys sell their Ferrari or McClaren for a 911 in order to have the back seat to transport young kids.

And it's not restricted to just babies and toddlers. The general consensus among 911 owners seems to be that a nimble and lean person under 5'3" can use the back seat without crouching in their seat. But... yeah, it's still really not worth much as a backseat, IMO.

So yeah, typical buyers of a 911 aren't primarily seeking it out for family transport. They have all manner of other vehicles for that. But a surprising (to me at least) number of people do buy them for their ability to both transport kids and drive a very high performance car.

The amount of seats is still a moot point. You speak of 70k as if its a lot of money these days and i'm just of the opinion that its not what it used to be.

If you are some young guy( and they are targeting young guys) considering an M3/ M4/ S4, you will likely consider the vette for several reasons. You are buying an M3/M4/S4 because you want something cool and fast and money doesn't really matter to you. You'd buy a 911 or some other super car if you had enough cash flow to afford it, but you don't so you are going to spend every last cent of your disposable income to get this next car.... So why not consider a Vette for the same price, and have the novelty of a mid engine car that is pure performance at a great price.

Thats who they are after, and they will get them.

The amount of seats is still a moot point. You speak of 70k as if its a lot of money these days and i'm just of the opinion that its not what it used to be.

If you are some young guy( and they are targeting young guys) considering an M3/ M4/ S4, you will likely consider the vette for several reasons. You are buying an M3/M4/S4 because you want something cool and fast and money doesn't really matter to you. You'd buy a 911 or some other super car if you had enough cash flow to afford it, but you don't so you are going to spend every last cent of your disposable income to get this next car.... So why not consider a Vette for the same price, and have the novelty of a mid engine car that is pure performance at a great price.

Thats who they are after, and they will get them.
You make a fair point.

I'm just thinking that younger buyers just don't value cars the way previous generations did.

From what I've read, millennials tend to view cars more as appliances, and so they place a premium more on utility and value.

And so pricing and two extra seats would be more of a factor than ever before.

Edit: That would also explain why traditional super/hypercar automakers have added SUVs to their lineups.

Last couple of posts has me intrigued. Though I agree with @theRU that this price point really won’t scare off too many potential buyers and Chevy would really like to target younger buyers, the real buyers are going to be 40+ gen X-ers with disposable income, not Millenials.

Anyhow, a bit of a rant: I’m back home visiting and I decided to rent something fun. My fault for not checking, but I got a Porsche Panamera from Hertz’s Prestige Collection and it only seats four (transmission tunnel is built up into a console which bisects the rear seat). Do rich people not drive other people around? As you can gather, I don’t generally run in the same circles as the well-heeled. I was going to pick up two cousins and their ladies for a night out, but that obviously wasn’t going to happen. The 911’s rear +2 are’t seats as someone pointed out earlier. It’s there for show and though I’ve never tried, I’m fairly certain you cannot fit a baby seat back there under the sloping greenhouse. I’m not saying this Panamera is supposed to replace a minivan, but what the heck’s wrong with a rear bench? As I’ve found out, apparently a 7-series or A8 appears to be the same. Is a sedan that seats 5 out of vogue?

I honestly wouldn't mind being wrong about anything I've written.

I think GM did a fantastic job here and hope the Corvette succeeds.

My son has a C6 Corvette bed for crying out loud..

You make a fair point.

I'm just thinking that younger buyers just don't value cars the way previous generations did.

From what I've read, millennials tend to view cars more as appliances, and so they place a premium more on utility and value.

And so pricing and two extra seats would be more of a factor than ever before.

Edit: That would also explain why traditional super/hypercar automakers have added SUVs to their lineups.
I draw a distinction between Rich Millenials, and Millenials. There are enough living off mommy and daddy and there is nothing practical about them. Its all about being cool, relevant and instagrammable.

I completely agree the car is not practical. But neither is an M3 or M4. Maybe its where i live, but clearly these kids don't care that gas is near 4 bucks a gallon and that their fast car is just as fast as any other while stuck in bumper to bumper traffic on the PCH or the 5 Freeway. LOL

Last couple of posts has me intrigued. Though I agree with @theRU that this price point really won’t scare off too many potential buyers and Chevy would really like to target younger buyers, the real buyers are going to be 40+ gen X-ers with disposable income, not Millenials.

Anyhow, a bit of a rant: I’m back home visiting and I decided to rent something fun. My fault for not checking, but I got a Porsche Panamera from Hertz’s Prestige Collection and it only seats four (transmission tunnel is built up into a console which bisects the rear seat). Do rich people not drive other people around? As you can gather, I don’t generally run in the same circles as the well-heeled. I was going to pick up two cousins and their ladies for a night out, but that obviously wasn’t going to happen. The 911’s rear +2 are’t seats as someone pointed out earlier. It’s there for show and though I’ve never tried, I’m fairly certain you cannot fit a baby seat back there under the sloping greenhouse. I’m not saying this Panamera is supposed to replace a minivan, but what the heck’s wrong with a rear bench? As I’ve found out, apparently a 7-series or A8 appears to be the same. Is a sedan that seats 5 out of vogue?

Nobody should sit 3 across in any back seat. It isn't safe. All sedans are effectively 2+2.

Reactions: theRU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT