ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The New Ivies According To Forbes

It’s actually not an awful list….but BC? Really??? That’s just despicable.

I’d swap out BC & USC for Stanford & Duke.
Agreed 100%. BC is literally ONE spot ahead of us in USNews and we may pass them in this iteration and USC has far too many students to be a 2nd Tier Ivy. Switch BC/USC for Duke/Stanford.

Yeah we already are in agreement that BC and USC should be out and Duke and Stanford should be in if this was a true 2nd Tier Ivy League.
The article this list came from threw Duke and Stanford in as ivy-like and purposefully left them off the list.

“Aside from the eight Ivy League schools and four Ivy-plus schools — Massachusetts Institute of Technology, University of Chicago, Stanford University and Duke University — Forbes selected colleges based on exclusivity and a survey of hiring managers it conducted to establish what it is calling "New Ivies."

The article this list came from threw Duke and Stanford in as ivy-like and purposefully left them off the list.

“Aside from the eight Ivy League schools and four Ivy-plus schools — Massachusetts Institute of Technology, University of Chicago, Stanford University and Duke University — Forbes selected colleges based on exclusivity and a survey of hiring managers it conducted to establish what it is calling "New Ivies."
Yeah we eviscerated their "Public Ivies" list when they put SUNY Binghamton over RU-NB who is the #1 academic public in the Northeast as per USNews Rankings.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
I wonder if Duke and Stanford made an earlier list, so they aren't new any more. BC (this is repetitive) should not be there. Rice might surprise some in the East Coast but they belong. It might be a stretch for ND.

BC’s admissions became much more competitive in the last four years. The latest class has a 15% acceptance rate. Their very high selectivity is a recent phenomenon. I’m not sure why or how they pulled this off, but the numbers don’t lie. Here is the link;

BC admissions data

BC’s admissions became much more competitive in the last four years. The latest class has a 15% acceptance rate. Their very high selectivity is a recent phenomenon. I’m not sure why or how they pulled this off, but the numbers don’t lie. Here is the link;

BC admissions data
It seems that all halfway decent universities have become much more competitive in the last four years. Rutgers recently touted their admissions stats, and Rutgers is closer to 10% acceptance rate. Not sure of the value in the ranking of education quality. If it is of value, We R B1Gger and Better than BC

It seems that all halfway decent universities have become much more competitive in the last four years. Rutgers recently touted their admissions stats, and Rutgers is closer to 10% acceptance rate. Not sure of the value in the ranking of education quality. If it is of value, We R B1Gger and Better than BC

I said it before and will say it again
I would be more qualified to work janitorial services at RU now, than be a student

I said it before and will say it again
I would be more qualified to work janitorial services at RU now, than be a student
We do fire safety inspections of different types of buildings throughout the year. Years ago when still working in the City some of those buildings I inspected were owned by NYU. Met a guy who had all his kids get in because that’s what he did at NYU. The longer his tenure, the more of his kids qualified to get in this way.

There is also a famous story of a guy doing the same for his kids, think he had five, at BCU.

Reactions: wheezer

Why does USNWR have a 66% acceptance rate and this guy says it’s 10%?

Reactions: bigmatt718
I would like to see the stats for honors college. I think it’s a crazy high GPA and SAT/ACT.

Lot of hate here. BC is a great school w/ a 16% acceptance rate. My daughter didnt get into BC early admission, but got into Rutgers NB.

USNews is garbage, it values Pell Grants, debt and 1st generation students more than standardized tests. 3 things that have nothing to do with education and are more about diversity.

Lot of hate here. BC is a great school w/ a 16% acceptance rate. My daughter didnt get into BC early admission, but got into Rutgers NB.

USNews is garbage, it values Pell Grants, debt and 1st generation students more than standardized tests. 3 things that have nothing to do with education and are more about diversity.
BC is a good school. Don’t understand your comments about your daughter or US News.

Rutgers acceptance rate is not 10% unless that value is possibly for a particular program. It is probably somewhere between 45-55% for 2024 (down from 66% in 2023) to guarantee a particular number os desired enrollees. With the switch to the common app that increased the number of applicants Rutgers can become even more selective. They can also accept more out of state applicants and take the added tuition revenue as well. Rutgers reputation has grown very positively over the past few years.

Rutgers acceptance rate is not 10% unless that value is possibly for a particular program. It is probably somewhere between 45-55% for 2024 (down from 66% in 2023) to guarantee a particular number os desired enrollees. With the switch to the common app that increased the number of applicants Rutgers can become even more selective. They can also accept more out of state applicants and take the added tuition revenue as well. Rutgers reputation has grown very positively over the past few years.
You think RU would accept 34,200 kids and hope they only yield 25%? What if more kids accept? There’s only so many spaces available.

Every one of the schools on the list is private. That tells you all you need to know. Perception is the driving factor in this case.

Every one of the schools on the list is private. That tells you all you need to know. Perception is the driving factor in this case.
There’s a public list and a private list. The tweet posted only shows the private.
  • Binghamton University - New York
  • Georgie Institute of Technology - Georgia
  • University of Florida - Florida
  • University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign- Illinois
  • University of Maryland - College Park
  • University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
  • University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill
  • University of Texas - Austin
  • University of Virginia - Virginia
  • University of Wisconsin - Madison

There’s a public list and a private list. The tweet posted only shows the private.
  • Binghamton University - New York
  • Georgie Institute of Technology - Georgia
  • University of Florida - Florida
  • University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign- Illinois
  • University of Maryland - College Park
  • University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
  • University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill
  • University of Texas - Austin
  • University of Virginia - Virginia
  • University of Wisconsin - Madison

Binghamton has no business being on that list. Non bias aside, RU-NB should be in Binghamton's place.

Q

Well with Hopkins, Northwestern, Georgetown and Rice at a minimum the perception is accurate

Lot of BC hate but guessing it's football driven. I've been blown away by how impressive the kids we recruit from BC are.

Wasn’t it the most selective school in the country this past few years?

Seemed to have read that somewhere, maybe here.🤷‍♂️
Think it’s the most applied to school with 130k applicants. Not the most selective because it is a public school with a big class.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT