ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The New Ivies

clutch-move-in-before-the-lock.gif

Being able to put yourself in someone else’s shoes is really important,” says Laura Bier, a San Diego-based management consultant specializing in healthcare and defense. “Kids who've been to a public school have had a broader diversity of friends from different backgrounds, teachers from different backgrounds and are better able to be nimble in those situations.”

It comes down to preparedness. Some 37% of those with hiring authority in our survey said state universities were doing better than five years ago in preparing job candidates and 31% thought non-Ivy League private colleges had improved. Just 14% had similar praise for the Ivy League, while 20% said they’re doing worse, making this the only segment in which negative appraisals of the trend in job readiness exceeded positive ones

-----------------

Well, at least Penn State did not make the list. Neither did Rutgers. Chapel Hill?

Bowing Down Waynes World GIF

Unfortunately, the police can’t do anything because every single move is scrutinized and he’s lunatics will be back out on the street within a couple of hours anyway

Elections have consequences, and when rules aren’t enforced, people will act out

Truly, a sad state of affairs in our society today

I got accepted to Binghamton for PhD but after a visit I ran away.
Its a weird town - no surprise Rod Serling was from there.
New SUNY chancellor is a radical
The New Ivies are right behind the Old Ivies
We kind of liked that area. We lived near the Finger Lakes Corning/Elmira for a couple of years, and we passed through Binghamton quite a bit. Maybe we did not stay long enough to experience the weirdness. Kind of surprised SUNY Binghamton made the list, but Rutgers or Penn State did not. IMO, SUNY Buffalo has a lot more going for it than Binghamton.

Reactions: Leonard23
We kind of liked that area. We lived near the Finger Lakes Corning/Elmira for a couple of years, and we passed through Binghamton quite a bit. Maybe we did not stay long enough to experience the weirdness.
The area is nice - I love the Rt 17 ride and the Southern Tier.
I really like spiedies
Its the peeps that are kind of off
I like downstate NY and upstate NY but midstate is kind of a novelty.
You can see cars with different size tires on the wheels.
Troopers can give tickets for doing a couple miles over the limit.
I got one that way and paid the fine.
A few months later I got a call from troopers who were investigating death threats against them.
There are suburbs, exurbs and booburbs that are spooky

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the police can’t do anything because every single move is scrutinized and he’s lunatics will be back out on the street within a couple of hours anyway

Elections have consequences, and when rules aren’t enforced, people will act out

Elections certainly do have consequences and when those in positions of power and authority don’t follow laws / rules it impacts society as well. Young people haven’t created the societal problems referred to. Additionally, I would say that both the protesters and the police in this scenario have been restrained thus far. Very tame actions compared to the Vietnam era anti war conflicts of the late 1960s and early 1970s. In general, people seem to be nicer these days.

Elections certainly do have consequences and when those in positions of power and authority don’t follow laws / rules it impacts society as well. Young people haven’t created the societal problems referred to. Additionally, I would say that both the protesters and the police in this scenario have been restrained thus far. Very tame actions compared to the Vietnam era anti war conflicts of the late 1960s and early 1970s. In general, people seem to be nicer these days.

maybe not so much.. This behavior will be heading east this week i'm sure

Being able to put yourself in someone else’s shoes is really important,” says Laura Bier, a San Diego-based management consultant specializing in healthcare and defense. “Kids who've been to a public school have had a broader diversity of friends from different backgrounds, teachers from different backgrounds and are better able to be nimble in those situations.”

It comes down to preparedness. Some 37% of those with hiring authority in our survey said state universities were doing better than five years ago in preparing job candidates and 31% thought non-Ivy League private colleges had improved. Just 14% had similar praise for the Ivy League, while 20% said they’re doing worse, making this the only segment in which negative appraisals of the trend in job readiness exceeded positive ones

-----------------

Well, at least Penn State did not make the list. Neither did Rutgers. Chapel Hill?

Bowing Down Waynes World GIF

We kind of liked that area. We lived near the Finger Lakes Corning/Elmira for a couple of years, and we passed through Binghamton quite a bit. Maybe we did not stay long enough to experience the weirdness. Kind of surprised SUNY Binghamton made the list, but Rutgers or Penn State did not. IMO, SUNY Buffalo has a lot more going for it than Binghamton.
Odd that Binghamton is on there over Rutgers and PSU, as well as tOSU, Purdue, UW and a bunch of the Cali schools and others. Why do you think Buffalo has a lot more going for it?

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Odd that Binghamton is on there over Rutgers and PSU, as well as tOSU, Purdue, UW and a bunch of the Cali schools and others. Why do you think Buffalo has a lot more going for it?
Maybe I am mistaken about Binghamton, but SUNY Buffalo has a law school, and a med school, while Binghamton does not. US News has them ranked similarly, with Binghamton at 73 and Buffalo at 76. I don't like the US News ranking system, as it is subject to gaming, but that argument could be made for other ranking systems. I would be curious as to which school has more federal research money.

I'd put Rutgers-NB, Purdue, OSU, UCLA, UC-Berkeley, a few of the CA schools like UC-Irvine/Santa Barbara, Washington, and maybe Minnesota ahead of SUNY Binghamton. The rest of the list makes sense. SUNY Binghamton does not.

Last edited:
Maybe I am mistaken about Binghamton, but SUNY Buffalo has a law school, and a med school, while Binghamton does not. US News has them ranked similarly, with Binghamton at 73 and Buffalo at 76. I don't like the US News ranking system, as it is subject to gaming, but that argument could be made for other ranking systems. I would be curious as to which school has more federal research money.

Bing has a business school with all the different aspects.
SUNY is also a pretty good deal - nobody graduating with 250K debt

Reactions: Knight Shift
The area is nice - I love the Rt 17 ride and the Southern Tier.
I really like spiedies
Its the peeps that are kind of off
I like downstate NY and upstate NY but midstate is kind of a novelty.
You can see cars with different size tires on the wheels.
Troopers can give tickets for doing a couple miles over the limit.
I got one that way and paid the fine.
A few months later I got a call from troopers who were investigating death threats against them.
There are suburbs, exurbs and booburbs that are spooky
Finger Lakes are stunningly beautiful

I can't imagine working w/ some of these idiots.

true some of them need not apply.
Others might be compared to Vietnam era protesters that weren't radical but were against the war.
Many of today's protesters are not pro Hamas , but are lumped in with the terrorist loving ones because that are for a 2 state solution and feel (right or wrong) the collateral damage in Israel's fight against the Hamas terrorist organization is far to high to accept.

true some of them need not apply.
Others might be compared to Vietnam era protesters that weren't radical but were against the war.
Many of today's protesters are not pro Hamas , but are lumped in with the terrorist loving ones because that are for a 2 state solution and feel (right or wrong) the collateral damage in Israel's fight against the Hamas terrorist organization is far to high to accept.
Dude, many of today's protestors aren't pro-Hamas? Wherever you been?

I graduated from Rutgers decades ago, and I’ve seen dozens of “new Ivies” and “public Ivies” articles over the years. The bottom line is that you would rather want your kid to have an Ivy League degree than not have one, and these “alternate Ivy” lists are just reflections of what the author wants. There are a pool of very good colleges and not so prestigious colleges, but college rankings systems are a like a silly exercise.

None of these schools and the people that attend are much different than those of the Ivies.
Hmmm I don't know. I think there is a notable difference in the "average" student at Harvard or Princeton v. the "average student at Maryland and Illinois.

From an employer standpoint, I think the Ivies (and Ivy+ of Stanford, MIT, Duke, Chicago) provided a rubber stamp of pre-qualification for a job offer. You know these kids were well-vetted to get into their school and they spent 4 years in an academically-pressured environment. They would likely be up to the task for an entry level banking, consulting, engineering, etc job. The active alumni network would make them valuable employees from a business dev standpoint as well.

My son is currently a junior at Delbarton with a 36 out of 36 on his ACT and will be taking 6 AP classes between his Jr and Sr years. He plays football and was elected class president (yes I'm bragging). His counselor told him he need to look at some of these secondary schools because the competitiveness at the Ivies is at an all-time high.
I'd be extremely happy if he ended up at a UVA, Northwestern, Duke.

Last edited:
Hmmm I don't know. I think there is a notable difference in the "average" student at Harvard or Princeton v. the "average student at Maryland and Illinois.

My son is currently a junior at Delbarton with a 36 out of 36 on his ACT and will be taking 6 AP classes between his Jr and Sr years. He plays football and was elected class president (yes I'm bragging). His counselor told him he need to look at some of these secondary schools because the competitiveness at the Ivies is at an all-time high.

Incidentally, the article is missing a few "New Ivies": MIT, Stanford, Duke, University of Chicago, UC Berkeley, Cal Tech.
I thought the same thing about the top UC schools not being listed but they did purposely eliminate some do the schools you mention…
“Our methodology was as follows. After disqualifying the Ivies (and we used the Ivy-plus yardstick, which includes Stanford, MIT, Duke and the University of Chicago”

Get a solid education based on independent critical thinking. Learn how to learn for a lifetime. Be curious. Work hard. Seek out a mentor. And you'll do fine regardless of the name of your school or its standing on the prestige scale.
100%..

But what will your parents discuss with their pretentious friends at cocktail parties??😂

I thought the same thing about the top UC schools not being listed but they did purposely eliminate some do the schools you mention…
“Our methodology was as follows. After disqualifying the Ivies (and we used the Ivy-plus yardstick, which includes Stanford, MIT, Duke and the University of Chicago”
yeah I reread the article and saw that so I edited my post.

Reactions: Rutgers Chris
Get a solid education based on independent critical thinking. Learn how to learn for a lifetime. Be curious. Work hard. Seek out a mentor. And you'll do fine regardless of the name of your school or its standing on the prestige scale.
Bravo.

Academic rankings have meaning in some contexts. But they are also very silly sometimes. Most people could spend a lifetime at a "low-ranked" school and never run out of stuff to learn.

And as we all learn when we get out into the world, with a few exceptions nobody really cares (or even asks) what schools we've attended. At that point it's sink or swim based on demonstrated knowledge and capability...

From an employer standpoint, I think the Ivies (and Ivy+ of Stanford, MIT, Duke, Chicago) provided a rubber stamp of pre-qualification for a job offer. You know these kids were well-vetted to get into their school and they spent 4 years in an academically-pressured environment. They would likely be up to the task for an entry level banking, consulting, engineering, etc job. The active alumni network would make them valuable employees from a business dev standpoint as well.

You should brag. Damn impressive and you and wife (or domestic partner) should be proud as hell.

Damn,
You should brag. Damn impressive and you and wife (or domestic partner) should be proud as hell.
Yeah, I was about to post the same thing. Extremely impressive...

Well that is true. We had an election the year before where the "winners" caused the horrific antisemitic violence at UVA. Then when those same people lost the last one, they viciously assaulted our beloved boys in blue.

Reactions: ElmiraExpress
There are parallels to the Vietnam War on-college protests. That was a war that didn't age well against the test of time. I fear that the Israeli government destruction of Gaza will be similarly viewed. The messed up thing is that the student protest against financial support of the Israeli military is being co-opted by white supremacists and anti semites; just like the Vietnam protests were co-opted by radicals and communists.

These last 4 years have been one of social unrest; just like the mid-late 60's were. It's sad. I hope that we can get through this but there are so many forces at work with the intention of dividing this great nation.

Well that is true. We had an election the year before where the "winners" caused the horrific antisemitic violence at UVA. Then when those same people lost the last one, they viciously assaulted our beloved boys in blue.
Im not going to remotely entertain your drivel, as I’ve already acknowledged what happened in Charlottesville and the capital was horrific, but please don’t even try compare your side to the other.

It’s insulting to anyone with half a ****ing brain

There are parallels to the Vietnam War on-college protests. That was a war that didn't age well against the test of time. I fear that the Israeli government destruction of Gaza will be similarly viewed. The messed up thing is that the student protest against financial support of the Israeli military is being co-opted by white supremacists and anti semites; just like the Vietnam protests were co-opted by radicals and communists.

These last 4 years have been one of social unrest; just like the mid-late 60's were. It's sad. I hope that we can get through this but there are so many forces at work with the intention of dividing this great nation.
I feel the college protesters will be viewed favorably and on the right side of things as time goes on. Most of the students are very courageous. Obviously there may be a few bad apples.

People are making us out to be way more complicated than it is

Whether we agree with them or not, As in any situation, there are some people who were protesting peacefully

And then There are idiots that muddy water for everybody

Not Coincidentally, the states were that type of action and bullshit is not tolerated are not seeing prolonged protests

The protest initially did happen on campus is there, and miraculously have since ceased

Tear gas and rubber bullets were used effectively as that type of protesting is violating campus policy and breaking laws

When you don’t enforce laws, naturally people will continue to break them

I will forever have Jersey in my blood, but it’s bullshit like this (and various other bullshit continuing to perpetuate society here in the northeast) that has me counting down the days until Team Smooth moves down to the sunshine state

People are making us out to be way more complicated than it is

Whether we agree with them or not, As in any situation, there are some people who were protesting peacefully

And then There are idiots that muddy water for everybody

Not Coincidentally, the states were that type of action and bullshit is not tolerated are not seeing prolonged protests

The protest initially did happen on campus is there, and miraculously have since ceased

Tear gas and rubber bullets were used effectively as that type of protesting is violating campus policy and breaking laws

When you don’t enforce laws, naturally people will continue to break them

I will forever have Jersey in my blood, but it’s bullshit like this (and various other bullshit continuing to perpetuate society here in the northeast) that has me counting down the days until Team Smooth moves down to the sunshine state

Reactions: NotInRHouse
We will see how long this one lasts

The one at UT Austin was short-lived

Likewise, there was one in the great city of Tallahassee that did not last long either

I bet you a dollar to a doughnut (I’m getting old, my mom used to say that corny ass term back in the 80s ) they do not last anywhere near as long as the ones in New York and California

Reactions: rubigtimenow

If your son is white, make sure you have lower-rated safety schools. We went through with our oldest. Stellar academics, 1570 SAT, two sports, school play, volunteer firefighter, docent at a local tech museum, and more. Whiffed on the Ivies, MIT, Carnegie Mellon, Cal Berkeley. We were actively told at Cornell and Princeton that if you are a white or Asian male, don't count on getting in. Admitted to Rutgers HC and UCLA and that was it. Went to Rutgers, loved it, graduated with a fantastic job at a top software company, just got first annual review, and is crushing it. We instilled in our kids the values of hard work, being a good person, being reliable at work and giving back to the community. Not sure they teach those things at college.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT