ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The New Ivies According To Forbes

Forbes has no clue.

CWUR is the gold standard using actual data for academic rankings. The rest like Forbes is just someone's opinion.

I'd be interested in what statistics they use to put UMass over Rice and Notre Dame. "Gold standard" is your opinion.

Wasn’t it the most selective school in the country this past few years?

Seemed to have read that somewhere, maybe here.🤷‍♂️

I believe they get the most applications of any school in the world which helps

It probably doesn't hurt that they have an easy to spell name no matter your first language lol

Also Westwood is a much nicer location than USC's, it'd be like being located on UWS or UES

BC is the type of school that spoiled / entitled nerds go to who aren’t good enough for Ivies and live too sheltered of a life to attend a big public school.
Isn’t that all private colleges that are not Ivies or require good grades?

Isn’t that all private colleges that are not Ivies or require good grades?

A little harsh there. BC requires good grades, just not Ivy level. Schools like Colgate and Lehigh are excellent. And if you want to talk about true colleges/undergrad, not universities, Amherst, Willams, Bowdoin and Middlebury are world class.

Reactions: bigmatt718
I fail to understand the reason behind paying double in tuition for a private not in the Ivies or in the 2nd tier of privates like Stanford, Duke, NW, Vandy, Hopkins, etc. Like why in all that is holy are you paying $60K a year to attend SHU or almost $90K to attend Cuse?
Why drive BMW when you can drive a Honda Accord 😀

Reactions: bigmatt718
Wasn’t it the most selective school in the country this past few years?

Seemed to have read that somewhere, maybe here.🤷‍♂️
Yes, you're right. UCLA was is so difficult now; a high school student needs a 4.5+ GPA and at least 1480 to 1600 to get in. It even surpassed Berkeley for two years, although the two schools are tied as the best public universities in the country.

It seems that all halfway decent universities have become much more competitive in the last four years. Rutgers recently touted their admissions stats, and Rutgers is closer to 10% acceptance rate. Not sure of the value in the ranking of education quality. If it is of value, We R B1Gger and Better than BC

10% acceptance rate? Hardly. It is more like 50%. The 8000 admittees are those who chose Rutgers. The number admitted is much much higher. Many who are admitted choose to go elsewhere.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I fail to understand the reason behind paying double in tuition for a private not in the Ivies or in the 2nd tier of privates like Stanford, Duke, NW, Vandy, Hopkins, etc. Like why in all that is holy are you paying $60K a year to attend SHU or almost $90K to attend Cuse?

Stanford 2nd tier? Same for most of the others you cite . Now SHU and Cuse will offer packages to students who differ from the aplicat stereotype,like living in the tri-state area. One of the schools my niece from Massachusetts applied to 15 years ago was St.Johns. Didn't go, but was offered a 10k grant against tuition. They don't get many applicants from Mass. If she had livedin Nassau County of Bergen County she'd have been offered nothing.

Stanford 2nd tier? Same for most of the others you cite . Now SHU and Cuse will offer packages to students who differ from the aplicat stereotype,like living in the tri-state area. One of the schools my niece from Massachusetts applied to 15 years ago was St.Johns. Didn't go, but was offered a 10k grant against tuition. They don't get many applicants from Mass. If she had livedin Nassau County of Bergen County she'd have been offered nothing.
I worded that incorrectly. By 2nd tier I mean 2nd tier in comparison to the Ivies, and in Stanford's case on par or better than most Ivies, still elite schools mind you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT