ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The rarest play in baseball, the quadruple play!

Doctor Worm

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 8, 2002
That's right, four outs recorded on a single play. It has never happened in the majors, and probably never will, because it would require some bizarre baserunning. But it could. Here goes:

Bases loaded, nobody out. For some unknown reason, the runners (including the one on third) are running on the pitch. Batter hits a line drive to short, which is caught for the first out. He throws to second to double up that runner, who throws to first to triple up that runner. Three outs, inning over.
But...

What about the runner on third, who has crossed the plate before the third out was recorded? Does his run count?

The answer is yes, UNLESS the defensive team, before leaving the field, throws to third to put that runner out, since he did not tag up after the catch. This fourth out would be necessary to negate the run.

Supposedly this play has actually happened in the minors, back in the 80's.

That's right, four outs recorded on a single play. It has never happened in the majors, and probably never will, because it would require some bizarre baserunning. But it could. Here goes:

Bases loaded, nobody out. For some unknown reason, the runners (including the one on third) are running on the pitch. Batter hits a line drive to short, which is caught for the first out. He throws to second to double up that runner, who throws to first to triple up that runner. Three outs, inning over.
But...

What about the runner on third, who has crossed the plate before the third out was recorded? Does his run count?

The answer is yes, UNLESS the defensive team, before leaving the field, throws to third to put that runner out, since he did not tag up after the catch. This fourth out would be necessary to negate the run.

This is definitely not true. The runner from third can't advance on a caught line drive or fly ball unless he goes back to tag. This sounds like something someone forwarded around Facebook without fact checking. Makes no sense.

Reactions: rubaseball78

But...

Hmm, not sure about this. However, I do know that a pitcher can record more than 3 strikeouts in an inning! :)

Reactions: rubaseball78
What might be true I suppose is that the runner on third could tag up and run home and score before the three outs are recorded, then the defense could appeal to third base saying he left too early and he would be called out. Maybe that's what you're thinking.

Reactions: Eagleton96
This is definitely not true. The runner from third can't advance on a caught line drive or fly ball unless he goes back to tag. This sounds like something someone forwarded around Facebook without fact checking. Makes no sense.
Well, you left out a word. The runner from third can't legally advance. If the defensive team doesn't stop him, he can and should score on that play.

Fascinating...the poor play by play caller would be confused as hell...

Well, you left out a word. The runner from third can't legally advance. If the defensive team doesn't stop him, he can and should score on that play.
Exactly. It's the same as a runner from third leaving early on a sacrifice fly. If the defensive team doesn't appeal the play, the run counts.

And now for my all time favorite hypothetical:

Bottom of the ninth, tie score, runner on third, one out. The batter hits a fly ball which is caught for the second out. The runner breaks for home. In applying the tag, the catcher clearly drops the ball and it rolls a few feet away. The offensive team comes out to celebrate, the defensive team starts to walk off.

HOWEVER, the runner has missed the plate! His momentum has carried him beyond the plate. The umpire sees this and correctly makes no call. Quickly the runner and catcher both realize what is happening. The catcher tries to tag him while protecting the plate. The runner evades the tag. Seeing that he has no chance to touch the plate, he runs back to the unprotected third base, where he arrives without being tagged.

What is the call?

What might be true I suppose is that the runner on third could tag up and run home and score before the three outs are recorded, then the defense could appeal to third base saying he left too early and he would be called out. Maybe that's what you're thinking.
There is no difference between tagging up and leaving early, and not tagging up at all.

Bottom of the ninth, tie score, runner on third, one out. The batter hits a fly ball which is caught for the second out. The runner breaks for home. In applying the tag, the catcher clearly drops the ball and it rolls a few feet away. The offensive team comes out to celebrate, the defensive team starts to walk off.

HOWEVER, the runner has missed the plate! His momentum has carried him beyond the plate. The umpire sees this and correctly makes no call. Quickly the runner and catcher both realize what is happening. The catcher tries to tag him while protecting the plate. The runner evades the tag. Seeing that he has no chance to touch the plate, he runs back to the unprotected third base, where he arrives without being tagged.

What is the call?

so two outs man on third...game still tied, batter up?

What is the call?
Baseball Digest covered the fourth out scenario sometime in the middle 60's.
In the last example,since the umpire did not call the runner out for leaving the basepath,he'd be safe because no other runner could lay claim to that base.However,there is a prohibition about running the bases backwards.Germany Schaefer used to steal first from second,likely trying to get the pitcher to throw away the ball or balk.I'm not sure.

But...

Very cool.

What is the call?
I would say that if the runner goes more than an arms length away from the catcher, he is out for running out of the baselines.If he goes directly there and the catcher doesn't notice, and therefore doesn't attempt a tag, he is safe at 3rd.

My little league team remains the only little league team in history to turn the quadruple play !
That’s my story and I am sticking to it !

What is the call?
Help?

That makes no sense at all. If bases are loaded with one out and guy hits into a double play the runner on third doesn't score if he crosses the plate before the batter is called out at first.
I'm calling complete BS on this one.

The player at home is out for crossing the plate without tagging up.

the out at first isn’t necessary and doesn’t count.
6-4-2 triple play. Still interesting.

What is the call?
Here's my analysis. We'll start by assuming that the runner was NOT called out for running out of the baseline.

The applicable rule here is that if a runner passes a base (including home plate, I think!) without touching it, he is deemed to have touched the base, unless the defense appeals the play. If the play is not appealed, the run counts and the game is over.

So how would an appeal work? The umpire would allow the next batter to step into the box. The pitcher should then step off, ask for time, and appeal the play. He would do this by throwing to the catcher, who would step on the plate. The umpire would call the runner out for the third out, and we move on to the top of the tenth.

If the pitcher does not appeal, and proceeds to throw a pitch to the plate, the umpire should immediately signal no pitch, the prior run counts, and the game is over. Wouldn't that be controversial!

At least that is how I understand it.

I believe the run counts if not appealed. The third outs is not technically a force out, so it is a timing play

Last edited:
Reactions: T2Kplus10
That makes no sense at all. If bases are loaded with one out and guy hits into a double play the runner on third doesn't score if he crosses the plate before the batter is called out at first.
I'm calling complete BS on this one.
I think the situation would have to be based loaded nobody out... Either way I'm confused just thinking about it lol.

Reactions: WhiteBus
white bus...the difference is in force outs v time plays. in your example, the third out is a force out so the run does not count.

in the example, the out at first is not a force out so the runner crossing the plate scores if not properly appealed.

However, that appeal is then considered the 3rd out and the runner heading back to first isn't counted as the 3rd out in the scoring.

So there is no 4th out. There are 4 plays made, but only three outs for official scoring.

Isn't it possible for a pitcher to have an infinite # of K's in an inning as long as the catcher (and 1st base) is unable to complete catch the 3rd strike or throw it to first base to record the out...

MO

Last edited:
Okay, here's mine and I don't have the answer to it.

Runner on third and one out. Bloop fly ball to centerfield and the runner breaks for home and touches home plate. But then he realizes the outfielder might catch it so he begins a return to third without re-touching the plate. Halfway to third the ball dunks in and the runner starts toward home again but gets thrown out.

Was he out or did he already score a run on the play?

Isn't it possible for a pitcher to have an infinite # of K's in an inning as long as the catcher (and 1st base) is unable to complete catch the 3rd strike or throw it to first base to record the out...

MO
That is correct, but in those instances no out is recorded. The example I gave in OP is the only one where the umpire actually makes the out signal four times in an inning.

Okay, here's mine and I don't have the answer to it.

Runner on third and one out. Bloop fly ball to centerfield and the runner breaks for home and touches home plate. But then he realizes the outfielder might catch it so he begins a return to third without re-touching the plate. Halfway to third the ball dunks in and the runner starts toward home again but gets thrown out.

Was he out or did he already score a run on the play?

Very interesting. My guess is that once he touches home plate and the ball drops, the run has scored. Any additional baserunning misadventures are of no consequence.

HOWEVER, let's say there is also a runner on second who correctly read that the ball would drop, and now is breaking for home. The runner on third, having already touched home plate (i.e., having scored) no longer has any right to be on the basepaths. If the umpire deems that he is interfering with the play happening behind him, he can call the other runner out due to his interference.

Source...you can't unscore a run. Run counts. If there was another runner following him, he could be called for interference for hindering the defense's attempt to tag that player. That second player would be called out.

Not infinite. You can't take first base if it's occupied. So I guess the max would be 5.

No...I'm envisioning a catcher who is totally inept/ incompetent. The third strike occurs, the ball is dropped (unfortunately, think Billy Buckner at first base with the balling rolling between his legs...ENDLESSLY).

So the runners ALL advance. The runs keep scoring, the pitcher(s) keep recording K's, but the team is not able to leave the field because they aren't able to seal the deal.

MO

Not infinite. You can't take first base if it's occupied. So I guess the max would be 5.
I think it is infinite:

Batter 1 - Reaches first base on K, then steals second.
Batter 2 - Reaches first base on K (with batter 1 advancing to third), then steals second.
Batter 3 - Reaches first base on K (batter 1 scores, batter 2 to third), then steals second.
Batter 4 - Reaches first base on K (batter 2 scores, batter 3 to third), then steals second.

And the loop continues infinitely.

Reactions: RutgersMO
I think it is infinite:

Batter 1 - Reaches first base on K, then steals second.
Batter 2 - Reaches first base on K (with batter 1 advancing to third), then steals second.
Batter 3 - Reaches first base on K (batter 1 scores, batter 2 to third), then steals second.
Batter 4 - Reaches first base on K (batter 2 scores, batter 3 to third), then steals second.

And the loop continues infinitely.

@Doctor Worm
I already predicted infinite...the legality (details) I'll leave to you to clean up!~:Wink:

MO

Source...you can't unscore a run. Run counts. If there was another runner following him, he could be called for interference for hindering the defense's attempt to tag that player. That second player would be called out.

What if it's the same scenario but upon crossing home plate he DOES re-touch home plate in an attempt to return to third base. Ball drops and he gets tossed out at home...

...OR ball drops and he makes it back to third?

I was at this game. It was my birthday. Most everyone in the stadium was thrilled to see a Triple Play. Not me. I have seen them live before but I never saw an unassisted Triple Play. Randy Ready who caught the ball, stepped on second and throws around Tony Fernandez instead of tagging him as he was standing right next to him!! Manager Jim Fergosi was upset too, greeting him with the same WTF did you do that for???, as I did. It still bothers me 29 years later.

You can take first base if there is no runner occupying first base OR there are two out.

Ok try this.

Bases loaded right? And the runners keep stealing on the inept catcher who can't tag the man stealing home out, nor throw out the runners on 1st or 2nd who keep stealing a base. Now the pitcher throws a 3rd strike, that the catcher bobbles again endlessly or finally throws to first too late or is dropped by his twin brother who plays first.

Repeat, wash, rinse: result, the inning NEVER ends! It's infinite ∞!

MO

You're all right and I wasn't thinking. With two outs, it doesn't matter, and if the balls gets through him and a runner scores, it could go on forever. Maybe with a knuckleballer we could see more than 4 I guess.

Very interesting. My guess is that once he touches home plate and the ball drops, the run has scored. Any additional baserunning misadventures are of no consequence.
HOWEVER, let's say there is also a runner on second who correctly read that the ball would drop, and now is breaking for home. The runner on third, having already touched home plate (i.e., having scored) no longer has any right to be on the basepaths. If the umpire deems that he is interfering with the play happening behind him, he can call the other runner out due to his interference.

In your interpretation, once the ball dropped, the run scored, but shouldn't the runner that scored been called out for drawing a throw to home plate that was useless in nailing a baserunner who, technically, should have been off the field?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT