ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Tiger Now Expected to Play in Masters - Link

Originally posted by chase07470:
From Wikipedia:

In Mayo Clinic found that 33 percent to 48 percent of all serious golfers have experienced the yips. Golfers who have played for more than 25 years appear to be most prone to the condition.

====================

Azinger is telling you there is a difference between Yips and trust. The fact you don't distinguish between the two reveals you to be the one without the knowledge in this discussion and therefore a rather boring person to engage with especially considering all the arrogance and mean spiritedness you somehow find appropriate to inject into simply sharing different view points on a professional golfer.

For the record, I'm currently a six handicap, had it down to three at one point. I shot a 76 at Zaapaa club last Septmember, finished by '14 season with a 75 at North Berwick, the tenth best course in Scotland. I covered the PGA Tour for three years for the Associated Press before being promoted to go run another department in London. So, I'm pretty comfortable with my credentials to discuss golf.

In fact, I'm off to start the '15 season right now. See ya.
Haha. Yes your credentials are impressive especially (as a former AP reporter) when you quote Wikipedia. Go play for a team or for a living and get back to me when you understand the true pressure in golf. Until then enjoy the game. Someday when you get the yips you'll understand your foolish position here.

From Wikipedia:

In Mayo Clinic found that 33 percent to 48 percent of all serious golfers have experienced the yips. Golfers who have played for more than 25 years appear to be most prone to the condition.

====================

Azinger is telling you there is a difference between Yips and trust. The fact you don't distinguish between the two reveals you to be the one without the knowledge in this discussion and therefore a rather boring person to engage with especially considering all the arrogance and mean spiritedness you somehow find appropriate to inject into simply sharing different view points on a professional golfer.

For the record, I'm currently a six handicap, had it down to three at one point. I shot a 76 at Zaapaa club last Septmember, finished by '14 season with a 75 at North Berwick, the tenth best course in Scotland. I covered the PGA Tour for three years for the Associated Press before being promoted to go run another department in London. So, I'm pretty comfortable with my credentials to discuss golf.

We went round and round on this before and as much as it pains me to say this, white bus is right (i feel dirty) and you are wrong. Tommy Armour actually said it this way when he coined the term: "a brain spasm that impairs the short game."

This post was edited on 4/2 2:50 PM by Veiox

Originally posted by WhiteBus:

From Wikipedia:

====================

Haha. Yes your credentials are impressive especially (as a former AP reporter) when you quote Wikipedia. Go play for a team or for a living and get back to me when you understand the true pressure in golf. Until then enjoy the game. Someday when you get the yips you'll understand your foolish position here.
Chase you need to let it die. WB can be cranky and combative at times but I've spoken to him in person about golf. The guy knows the game probably better than anyone here.

I've been golfing for 25 years and currently a 7 handicap. Unfortunately, I've had a few bouts with both the yips and shanks. I was able correct both through practice. Once I felt I was fixed, there were still trust issues on the course.

Official from Tiger Woods himself. He will tee it up at the Masters. Expect lots of media coverage over the next 6 days. Right now practice isn't open to the public or media but come Monday watch out!

Originally posted by BellyFullOfWhiteDogCrap:
I've been golfing for 25 years and currently a 7 handicap. Unfortunately, I've had a few bouts with both the yips and shanks. I was able correct both through practice. Once I felt I was fixed, there were still trust issues on the course.
Trusting a shot is all about tradjectory and spin, as a 7 I highly doubt that was your issue.

Originally posted by zappaa:

Trusting a shot is all about tradjectory and spin, as a 7 I highly doubt that was your issue.
As an 8 Hcp Im doubting Bellys story as well. If he posts his USGA handicap ID then I'm willing to change my opinion.

im happy that Tiger is playing the 2015 Masters. IMO this may be the fork in the road for him. Make the cut and there's hope for him winning again. But shoot 80 both days and he very well likely be done.

this is going to be great reality TV for golfers.

Originally posted by Knightmoves:

Phil is playingeen golfing for 25 years and currently a 7 handicap. Unfortunately, I've had a few bouts with both the yips and shanks. I was able correct both through practice. Once I felt I was fixed, there were still trust issues on the course.
As an 8 Hcp Im doubting Bellys story as well. If he posts his USGA handicap ID then I'm willing to change my opinion.

im happy that Tiger is playing the 2015 Masters. IMO this may be the fork in the road for him. Make the cut and there's hope for him winning again. But shoot 80 both days and he very well likely be done.

Either way this will be must watch TV. This will make all the morning shows tomorrow not just sports shows. BTW Phil is playing really well this week

Originally posted by Knightmoves:

I could care less if you believe me or not. Why would I lie, and what exactly is so unbelievable about my experience? I would doubt that you ever had a bad case of the shanks. Lucky for you.

Belly,

I've shanked some on occasion during my 40 year golf career. And I've yipped a few chips during match play events in club championships in the past. One of those chip yips cost me the Sr. Club Championship at my club.

But PGA Tour players by and large do not do this during tour events. That makes Tigers whiffs a special case for PGA tour pros. Let's see what happens during the Masters. There will be plenty of time to discuss this after the Masters is completed.

I've battled the shanks upon occasion and when I do it's not about trust, it's being scared to death of the result and giving yourself paralysis.

I've battled the shanks upon occasion and when I do it's not about trust, it's being scared to death of the result and giving yourself paralysis.
Never had the yips but I've also had the shanks. Last time was at a course in Myrtle Beach that had water on most holes. I put something like 8 balls in the drink that day and there was nothing I could do about. The next day it was gone. Still have no idea what it was.

Golf is probably the worst sport in the world to play when you aren't on your game, at the pro level.

No timeouts, no coach, no team...it is you and your caddy. I will be surprised if Tiger wins another. Played with the brother Bones, Phil's caddy, a few weeks ago. He thinks Tiger has one more in him, which is probably a better guess than mine, but I just don't see it.

The injuries, the age, the lack of results, the other players who are better...if he wins another major you have to think it will be the most satisfying of his career.

My early pick is Speith. He is going to get one at some point, though he didn't play well last tourney.

For those that think the Masters doesn't need Tiger Woods their TV ratings were the lowest in 20 years last year when Tiger didn't play. Here's a video describing Tiger's impact on the 2015 Masters. They predict he misses the cut.

Even though I don't like him I'd like to see him make it to the weekend.

Tigers Impact on the Masters

I had & have the EXACT same thing as Tiger. The chipping yips! When I was younger I was able to open up the club take full swings and flop the ball 10ft and my chipping was real good. My game was good enough for mid 70's with a low of 71 unfortunately never shot par...that was on a par 70.

I was playing a lot still in my 30's & early 40's and all of a sudden I couldn't chip EXACTLY like how Tiger was chipping in tourney's and I would get frustrated how guys that I was playing with that SUCK were chipping 1000X better than me and making it look so easy meanwhile I'm chopping at the ball, tight, spasm'ing out looking like I have never picked up club within 50-60yds of the hole. It got soo bad I was at Twin Brooks in Watchung and putted from 65yds (I did put it within 2 ft of hole) but my buddy looked at me with that look like WTF are you doing. Unfortunately that was my only option either that or 3 or 4 hacks to get on green. If I was 100yds in I used to get really pissed if I was not within 10FT of stick.....fast forward just a couple yrs and I was ecstatic if I could just hit the green even more so from 50 yds in which was a lot worse than 60-100yds. The funny thing is woods & irons fairly consistent over that time for not playing as much but obviously not as sharp as they used to be but playable. My chipping would not have improved if I played 4 times a week just couldn't get it out of my head

I also had the same thing as Zap after a trip to Myrtle Beach. I picked up the shanks down there. I came back and every single 9 iron & wedge I shanked. Shanked 4 in a row onto the street on same hole. I would play a 8 or 7 iron in their place and just chop down on the swing. Played like that for 3 or 4 rds then packed in the clubs for 3 weeks and luckily they disappeared. I even went to the range and shanked every single 9 iron & wedge.

The chipping yips have never gone away and I do not enjoy the game like I used to when I used to be able to score very well. If I didn't par a hole I would get real pissed. Now if I get a par it's more of a mistake than something I expect. HUMBLING GAME
This post was edited on 4/4 7:05 AM by greenknight

Personally I don't think Tiger is going to solve the chipping yips. It's a lot easier to solve the yips on your own course with no-one watching....now go to a PGA tourney & the Masters when you are in front of 30K fans & millions on TV don't think the yips won't pop into his head. I think it will be extremely tough to shake it especially in that atmosphere. I think he made a mistake he should have kept playing & stuck it out in front of everyone and played every single tourney and worked his game back in line where people saw the improvement and I think he would have solved them, everything would have been in the forefront.

It will be a collective gasp his first chip...for him...for the spectators...for millions watching TV and the golf world. There will be more people watching to see if he fails than those watching to see if he succeeds.

I don't believe his back had anything what-so-ever to do with him dropping out of the tourney. He was SCARED & EMBARRASSED and chose to QUIT. What people need to realize is that he is the top 3 greatest of all time BUT...only played courses & tourney's he played well at or the course suited his game. I give props to the Matt Kuchar's of the world that tees it up anywhere and plays well at all places. Would Tiger's mystique be so great if he did the same. I think it would be a little tarnished.

Personally think that if you want to play on tour and keep your card you need to tee it up in at least 25 tourney's during the course of the year. I'm not sure what the current standards are but I think at least 70-75% of scheduled tourney's should be a standard to keep card.

Originally posted by knightfan7:

Never had the yips but I've also had the shanks. Last time was at a course in Myrtle Beach that had water on most holes. I put something like 8 balls in the drink that day and there was nothing I could do about. The next day it was gone. Still have no idea what it was.
I've battled the shanks for years. When I played 3-4 times a week, in grad school, that was enough to keep it under control (was about a 7 handicap back then), but over the last 10-15 years, I've played way less golf, partly due to less time and partly due to frustration over not being able to keep the shanks away. Nowadays I barely play 3-4 times per year and the shanks are always looming. My last round, last fall, I was even par through 5 holes, hitting the ball great and then it all fell apart and I shanked my way to about a 90. Never get the yips, though, as my chipping and putting never go away (I still chip/putt like a 7-handicapper), as they're fine motor skills/small muscle movements - the full swing is where I fall apart. I need Rene Russo, lol...

I agree that rating will be higher with Tiger. However, the folks at Augusta couldn't care less about ratings. They limit the hours and commercials. When there was a phoney uproar about no woman members one year they let all their sponsors off the hook and showed the tournament without commercials

Always look forward to Masters week. And it is more interesting when Tiger is on the first page of the leaderboard. Hope his game is up to the challenge. Will be reppin' the Block R on Wednesday at the practice round and Par 3 tournament. Can't wait!

Originally posted by RU848789:

Originally posted by knightfan7:

I've battled the shanks for years. When I played 3-4 times a week, in grad school, that was enough to keep it under control (was about a 7 handicap back then), but over the last 10-15 years, I've played way less golf, partly due to less time and partly due to frustration over not being able to keep the shanks away. Nowadays I barely play 3-4 times per year and the shanks are always looming. My last round, last fall, I was even par through 5 holes, hitting the ball great and then it all fell apart and I shanked my way to about a 90. Never get the yips, though, as my chipping and putting never go away (I still chip/putt like a 7-handicapper), as they're fine motor skills/small muscle movements - the full swing is where I fall apart. I need Rene Russo, lol...
I feel for you. If it's any help, I was too much on my toes during my downswing. This was bringing my torso over the ball and the hosel into the ball. Once I corrected my weight distribution on my downswing (trying to stay back on my heels just a tiny bit more), the shanks went away. Although, if I over swing like a dumbass, I'll catch a shank once and a while. At least I know why now. Good luck

From Wikipedia:

====================

Well, I guess I was 100% right here and you proved to be an arrogant fool.

Not a single yipped chip under the highest pressure in golf. Showed up saying he worked his ass off, which is what I said was all he needed to do.

This post was edited on 4/12 6:49 PM by chase07470

From Wikipedia:

====================

Not a single yipped chip under the highest pressure in golf. Showed up saying he worked his ass off, which is what I said was all he needed to do.

This post was edited on 4/12 6:49 PM by chase07470Your the arrogant fool! To say that Tiger didnt have the yips means you know jack squat about golf. The yips arent fatal. Johnny Miller recovered from them for a few season. They are a mind play and if you are blind to see that Tiger came in with a completely different attitude thats whats make you an idiot. Keep trying to push your "spasm" bull crap but every player and annoucer has disagreed 1000% with your stupid theory.

Chase,

Working hard builds confidence. Confidence in your game can help eliminate the yips because it's a mental thing. Tiger didn't need to practice chipping, he needed to build confidence in his game.

If your credentials are as you state, you should know that.

From Wikipedia:

====================

This post was edited on 4/12 6:49 PM by chase07470Your the arrogant fool! To say that Tiger didnt have the yips means you know jack squat about golf. The yips arent fatal. Johnny Miller recovered from them for a few season. They are a mind play and if you are blind to see that Tiger came in with a completely different attitude thats whats make you an idiot. Keep trying to push your "spasm" bull crap but every player and annoucer has disagreed 1000% with your stupid theory.
He doesn't have the chipping yips! Enough of this nonsense, already.

You can keep telling yourself anything you want. You can lie to yourself about knowing what you think you know about golf but anyone who knows anything about golf knows that if you have muscle spasm, chipping or putting yips, you don't solve it in five weeks and go and contend in the Masters without it re-surfacing.

If you know so much about golf then why couldn't you see the complete absence of spasm or jerking in his short game stroke when it was bad? He was decelerating, chunking, had no rhythm, all signs of an unpracticed player or a player with no idea where the club head needed to be and no confidence he might even be guessing right.

You just call everything bad, the yips and likely the commentators fell into that analysis as well. Well, it's lazy analysis. I read it right. His issue was all technique and practice related. Spastic, jerking yips are not curable quickly, if ever. It requires a completely new technique like a claw grip or a broom stick putter to take the yippy muscles out of the equation.

And I wouldn't be so harsh with you, but the arrogance and throwing your credentials around as if being some borderline club pro gives you some sort of special knowledge that made my opinion "clueless" sort of inspires one to circle back and hammer away, when proven to be 100% correct.

By the way, just back from Scotland today. Had a 75 at Muirfield on Wednesday. My caddie was a qualifier and entrant in the Brithish open at Muirfield in the 80's. As we headed down the 18th fairway, in that understated, Scottish way, he told me I was a good player. Made my week.

Chase. Please give up the undefendable position you have taking. No one from every PGA pro and every analyst has disagreed with you. You fight an losing position. Obviously you dont know anything about people who have been through the yips. Please stop with the spasm crap. I laugh at some of your comments. I don't believe a word of your so called "credentials" . There is enough on this board who can back up mine.

And then you tipped him....

My caddie was a qualifier and entrant in the Brithish open at Muirfield in the 80's. As we headed down the 18th fairway, in that understated, Scottish way, he told me I was a good player. Made my week.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Chase. Please give up the undefendable position you have taking. No one from every PGA pro and every analyst has disagreed with you. You fight an losing position. Obviously you dont know anything about people who have been through the yips. Please stop with the spasm crap. I laugh at some of your comments. I don't believe a word of your so called "credentials" . There is enough on this board who can back up mine.
So, lets wrap this up then.

I go against the golf commentary world and people like you before the Masters, say that Tiger Woods does not have the yips, he simply needs to practice and play and his chipping will be fine.

Tiger Woods shows up at the Masters and says his game is championship ready because he's worked day and night on his game. He proceeds to chip flawlessly while in contention off some of the tightest lies in golf.

And at the end of all that, I'm still somehow wrong?

You're some level of a narcissist who can never be wrong, even with something as obvious as this.

Just because Paul Azinger and I are the only one's your aware of who correctly diagnosed this situation doesn't mean anything more than you and everyone else was wrong and on your case, shamefully, arrogantly so.

Chase. Please give up the undefendable position you have taking. No one from evin your basementry PGA pro and every analyst has disagreed with you. You fight an losing position. Obviously you dont know anything about people who have been through the yips. Please stop with the spasm crap. I laugh at some of your comments. I don't believe a word of your so called "credentials" . There is enough on this board who can back up mine.
So, lets wrap this up then.

I go against the golf commentary world and people like you before the Masters, say that Tiger Woods does not have the yips, he simply needs to practice and play and his chipping will be fine.

Tiger Woods shows up at the Masters and says his game is championship ready because he's worked day and night on his game. He proceeds to chip flawlessly while in contention off some of the tightest lies in golf.

And at the end of all that, I'm still somehow wrong?

You're some level of a narcissist who can never be wrong, even with something as obvious as this.

Just because Paul Azinger and I are the only one's your aware of who correctly diagnosed this situation doesn't mean anything more than you and everyone else was wrong and on your case, shamefully, arrogantly so.
What you fail to admit that he had the yips. Simply you think you are smarter than every pro and analyist on earth. Must be great to be so smart in your basement as apposed to those that actually played for a living. please tell me what you have won.

This post was edited on 4/12 8:38 PM by WhiteBus

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT