ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Tiger walks off course

tiger.jpg

Reactions: RUPete
He's done. These guys with these "gym swings" aren't going to last long. Tiger is lucky he has lasted this long.

His swing completely changed from when he was first on the scene.

Reactions: BrycesUncle
Unfortunately for Tiger, he doesn't get benefit of doubt from most people who think he pulled out because he did not play well and didn't want to be embarrassed. I have no opinion either way. Amazing how his life unraveled since his wife went after him with a golf club.

Reactions: RUaMoose
Zap, in your view is it the extreme competitiveness that helps make a pro athlete a pro the same attribute that make it so hard for many to walk away? Tiger must feel he can still win but it's hard to imagine. Conversely, I remember Jack Nicholas being very open that he didn't want to be on the tour anymore once he realized his chances of winning were fading with age.

Reactions: RURod
He was somewhat competitive at Torrey Pines last week but cant stay healthy enough to be a Tour player.

Did someone say he should design golf courses ? How many has he designed, one ?

When it comes to golf course design Tiger cant carry Jack or Arnies golf bag.

Unfortunately for Tiger, he doesn't get benefit of doubt from most people who think he pulled out because he did not play well and didn't want to be embarrassed. I have no opinion either way. Amazing how his life unraveled since his wife went after him with a golf club.
His life unraveled when YE Yang took him out.

If I shot 77 in the first round of the Dubai Tournament and close to last place then minor back spasms after dinner Thursday sounds like a graceful way to exit the tournament.

I'm not saying that he is done yet, but I'd get the fork ready, because he appears to be almost done.

He's competitive and gave it a shot, I can't hold this against him without knowing for sure if it was the way he played or his back .
I'll just go with his back was reason and figure he will decide if he want to continue trying to be one of the best or call it a career because of his back

Just can't see him winning another major. What was his advantage for so long, is no longer an advantage. There are 20 guys on tour who out him now. The aura and mystique is gone. No one is afraid of him. Throw in the injuries and it is almost impossible.

Back injuries can destroy an athlete's career. Don Mattingly would be in the Hall of Fame right now if a back injury hadn't hampered his career. At least Tiger was able to accomplish a lot before his back problems, so he'll still go down in history as one of the greatest ever.

Could be it. What a shame, I wanted one more run but it just doesn't look possible.

Tiger has two designs, one in Cabo and one in Houston. The one in Houston, Blue Jack is getting rave reviews.

Arnie and Jack's body of work takes a back seat to host of the games best architects...Coore Crenshaw, Tom Doak, Gil Hanse, David McKay Kidd and Pete Dye are all much more acclaimed. Personally, I never played a Nicklaus course I liked. Greatest golfer, average architect and Arnie was worse. Tiger is showing a lot of promise...we'll see.

Just can't see him winning another major. What was his advantage for so long, is no longer an advantage. There are 20 guys on tour who out him now. The aura and mystique is gone. No one is afraid of him. Throw in the injuries and it is almost impossible.

Agree ! Even if he somehow makes it back competitively, the list of good/great YOUNG golfers on the tour today is off the charts - maybe the best youngster group ever.

Why isn't he in Phoenix?

Can't hack the 16th hole?

He has to fly half way across the world to be non-competitive?

PS - Rickie Fowler is how much overrated?

Could be it. What a shame, I wanted one more run but it just doesn't look possible.

Tiger has two designs, one in Cabo and one in Houston. The one in Houston, Blue Jack is getting rave reviews.

Arnie and Jack's body of work takes a back seat to host of the games best architects...Coore Crenshaw, Tom Doak, Gil Hanse, David McKay Kidd and Pete Dye are all much more acclaimed. Personally, I never played a Nicklaus course I liked. Greatest golfer, average architect and Arnie was worse. Tiger is showing a lot of promise...we'll see.

Jack has designed 410 courses in 45 countries with an additional 57 currently under construction.

Arnie has designed more than 300 courses in 25 countries.

How many of their courses have you played ?

Reactions: NickyNewark51
His body simply can't take the rigors of a full time touring pro. 20 years ago his swing and body frame was totally different then what you see today. I honestly think he would, right now, have a hard time competing on the senior tour.

Can we making threads for him now ifor every tournament? That would be great.

Chase - i fully agree on Arnie

Not sure I agree on Jack though. I think there are many who believe Jack is in the top class of course designers.

Completely disagree on Nicklaus course designs. He has some great ones, world wide acclaim. Some of them I have played. Valhalla, Muirfield, Grand Cypress are some of the greats I've played. Harbour Town was a joint venture with Pete Dye, awesome tract! Also some of his redesigns are legendary. Greenbrier and PGA National are 2 world class courses that were dramatically improved by him. Jack is very much included in the list of great golf course architects.

Completely disagree on Nicklaus course designs. He has some great ones, world wide acclaim. Some of them I have played. Valhalla, Muirfield, Grand Cypress are some of the greats I've played. Harbour Town was a joint venture with Pete Dye, awesome tract! Also some of his redesigns are legendary. Greenbrier and PGA National are 2 world class courses that were dramatically improved by him. Jack is very much included in the list of great golf course architects.
I forgot the biggest name of them all, Tom Fazio. Jack has a few gems but way more misses in his portfolio of 400 plus courses. Look at Fazio and Coore Crenshaw's hit ration in the golf rankings. To me, Jack largely designs landing area, target golf...bleh! I'm sure I'd like Muirfield Village and Valhalla, though.

His body simply can't take the rigors of a full time touring pro. 20 years ago his swing and body frame was totally different then what you see today. I honestly think he would, right now, have a hard time competing on the senior tour.
I think his problem is all between the ears. Instead of going out there and hitting the ball 275-280 with an easy swing. He needs to attack every shot as hard as he can to hit 300+ not needed in my opinion. He needs to accept he's not 30 anymore it's time play smarter not harder

Reactions: RU31trap
Dubai = Sponsor commitment

Commentators last weekend were questioning Tiger putting his back thru the countless hours of air travel to get there.

The Masters now comes into question. If he can't pay the early majors again I bet he hangs it up.

He is not stupid. Winnings from tournaments = 1% of his actual income

Yea, but to collect those endorsements, he needs to be seen.

Playing the tough Torrey Pines than flying to Dubai was monumentally shortsighted for a guy with a bad back.

But he doesn't quite have a $1B yet. Lots of work to do.

Reactions: RU31trap
I still believe that in his prime and in his zone he would psychologically decimate the competition before teeing up for his first shot. That's how good Tiger was when everything thing was clicking. I remember a tournament where he whacked a ball 330 yards with deadly precision, to only follow that shot up with a 120 yard shot with a 9 iron that landed 9 feet past the hole but had so much back spin it came within 3 feet of the hole. Finally, a perfect center cup putt like he had ice in his veins. That gentlemen would put a softball in any competitors throat. Yes, Tiger Woods is a perfect example of too much too fast. But at the end of the day he dominated 14 majors when most guys never get a sniff.

Last edited:
$$$ is why Tiger flew across the world to throw his back out.

Agree. He is mostly a side show at this point. But that will fadeaway soon if he doesn't stay competitive.

Agree that he showed up in Dubai for the appearance fee. If he had game he would be at the Phoenix Open.

My money says that he is done.

Over 205k spectators at the Phoenix Open today! They will get over 650 thousand fir the week!! Thats crazy!
A typical major gets between 25 and 35k.
Crazy #s

Over 205k spectators at the Phoenix Open today! They will get over 650 thousand fir the week!! Thats crazy!
A typical major gets between 25 and 35k.
Crazy #s

My wife and I visited my brother and his wife in Scottsdale over Christmas. We had dinner at the Clubhouse at TPC in Scottsdale where the Phoenix Open is being played. All of the stands were already setup at that time and we watched golfers playing the 18th hole during dinner. A very impressive facility and great food as well.

One interesting note about the Birds Nest outdoor bar where 20k or more people party each day. It's located in a tented area across the street from the course and is open from 5-10 pm each day with live bands and costs $ 85 each to enter. Lots of eye candy on premises each day but it is not at the golf course.

I still believe that in his prime and in his zone he would psychologically decimate the competition before teeing up for his first shot. That's how good Tiger was when everything thing was clicking. I remember a tournament where he whacked a ball 330 yards with deadly precision, to only follow that shot up with a 120 yard shot with a 9 iron that landed 9 feet past the hole but had so much back spin it came within 3 feet of the hole. Finally, a perfect center cup putt like he had ice in his veins. That gentlemen would put a softball in competitors throat. Yes, Tiger Woods is a perfect example of too much too fast. But at the end of the day he dominated 14 majors when most guys never get a sniff.

so much of golf is confidence.

when you're 25 yrds past all your main competition on your drive, and hitting a 9 iron for your second shot while the other guy is hitting a 7, that's great for your confidence.

when that scenario is suddenly reversed, it's a shock to the system.

that said, no idea what he was thinking with all the bulking up. (Rory needs to be careful).

name one great, or even good, muscle bound golfer ever.

while TW may still be very flexible for someone that buff, he's still not near as flexible as he was.

some of that may be age, but imo it's more about bulking up.

and flexibility is even more important than confidence.

one thing that's very under reported about top level golfers, is that these guys are flexibility freaks.

the main reason Joe Blow can't recreate that "tour" swing, isn't coordination, or timing, or know how.

it's because his body just won't bend into those positions. (and won't even come close).

a few yrs ago i was watching golf on the DVR. i freeze framed Rory at the end of his follow through. his shoulders were square to a point almost 180 degrees opposite where his belly was pointing, with his stance wider than his shoulders .

most people can't begin to pretzel themselves into that position. (wonder if Rory still can).

Fred Couples was another who could hit body positions even other top golfers couldn't. (heard once he was double jointed).

the longer, more fluid, and rhythmic looking the swing, the more flexibility it takes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT