ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Tiger walks off course

At his peak, Tiger has a claim to being the best. Seemed like a forgone conclusion that Tiger would eclipse Jack's majors record. But Jack is still the Champ with the 18 majors. Tiger was washed up by the time he reached 40; Jack (if memory serves), won 2 or 3 majors after reaching the age of 40. And Jack had class - Tiger, not so much.

so much of golf is confidence.

when you're 25 yrds past all your main competition on your drive, and hitting a 9 iron for your second shot while the other guy is hitting a 7, that's great for your confidence.

when that scenario is suddenly reversed, it's a shock to the system.

that said, no idea what he was thinking with all the bulking up. (Rory needs to be careful).

name one great, or even good, muscle bound golfer ever.

while TW may still be very flexible for someone that buff, he's still not near as flexible as he was.

some of that may be age, but imo it's more about bulking up.

and flexibility is even more important than confidence.

one thing that's very under reported about top level golfers, is that these guys are flexibility freaks.

the main reason Joe Blow can't recreate that "tour" swing, isn't coordination, or timing, or know how.

it's because his body just won't bend into those positions. (and won't even come close).

a few yrs ago i was watching golf on the DVR. i freeze framed Rory at the end of his follow through. his shoulders were square to a point almost 180 degrees opposite where his belly was pointing, with his stance wider than his shoulders .

most people can't begin to pretzel themselves into that position. (wonder if Rory still can).

Fred Couples was another who could hit body positions even other top golfers couldn't. (heard once he was double jointed).

the longer, more fluid, and rhythmic looking the swing, the more flexibility it takes.

Mickelson is another really flexible guy. You look at his lumpy body and think no way and then watch him swing well past parallel with ease. Long and flexible is great for golf. Tiger's violent swing ruined his body.

original

Reactions: Knightmoves
Tiger annouced today he will miss the next 2 tournaments.
If he cant get a few tournaments in before the Masters than we wont see him again in 2017.

At his peak, Tiger has a claim to being the best. Seemed like a forgone conclusion that Tiger would eclipse Jack's majors record. But Jack is still the Champ with the 18 majors. Tiger was washed up by the time he reached 40; Jack (if memory serves), won 2 or 3 majors after reaching the age of 40. And Jack had class - Tiger, not so much.

Another amazing Jack stat that many are not aware of is that he finished 2nd in the majors an astounding 19 times ! And yes, he had a ton of class

Not Tiger related but golf related. When its sunny and calm at Pebble Beach the views are phenomenal!!

Reactions: knightfan7
My wife and I visited my brother and his wife in Scottsdale over Christmas. We had dinner at the Clubhouse at TPC in Scottsdale where the Phoenix Open is being played. All of the stands were already setup at that time and we watched golfers playing the 18th hole during dinner. A very impressive facility and great food as well.

One interesting note about the Birds Nest outdoor bar where 20k or more people party each day. It's located in a tented area across the street from the course and is open from 5-10 pm each day with live bands and costs $ 85 each to enter. Lots of eye candy on premises each day but it is not at the golf course.
I have zero interest in golf. But that place sounds great.

I wonder if he ever sees his children, who are 7 and 9 now.

Another amazing Jack stat that many are not aware of is that he finished 2nd in the majors an astounding 19 times ! And yes, he had a ton of class

Class doesn't describe it. I saw Jack in the midst of leading the '80 Open and having to deal with what was called credible death threats, go out of his way to give a youngster and his dad a memory I'm sure they'll never forget.

I was always an Arnie fan but that day became a big Jack fan too.

To me, the greatest athlete in a sport isn't necessarily the one with the most victories, but rather the athlete who when performing at their best tops all others. Many race horses, for example, have better records than Secretariat, and won more than 16 races in their careers, but when Sec was at his best, he had no peers, not even the great Man o' War. Tiger will likely never win another major, and thus fall four short of the record, but when he was at his best, he was the best there ever was at his sport (IMO).

Not Tiger related but golf related. When its sunny and calm at Pebble Beach the views are phenomenal!!

Probably my favorite round of golf ever, back in '92, when I was a decent golfer (8 handicap). Was a gorgeous day and it had been very dry, so tons of roll. Played the back tees and was even par through 7 holes - then I hit those tough par 4's and I was 7 over on 8-10, without hitting a terrible shot, really - 2 balls just rolled off the fairway and off the cliffs. Shot 88, iirc. Took a ton of pix - just stunning.

Finally, someone is talking about it....

Pat Perez:
“He knows he can’t beat anybody,” Perez said. “He’s got this new corporation that he started, so he has to keep his name relevant to keep the corporation going. So he’s going to show up to a few events. He’s going to try to play. … He’s going to show the Monster bag. He’s going to show the TaylorMade driver. He’s gonna get on TV. He’s got the Nike clothes. He’s gotta keep that stuff relevant.”

His back has been shot since 2014 and every year, he cranks up the comeback hype machine to deliver for sponsors and this year, even steal a seven figure appearance fee in Dubai. Then he comes out and embarrasses himself.

Time for Tiger to say goodbye. Maybe he rests all year and gives Augusta a go if his back allows him, try to dial back the clock on a course with no rough and that favors experience on and around those greens...but enough of this Willie Mays on the 72 Mets, routine. It's painful to watch this brilliant player reduced to a hack. Where's the pride?

To call Tiger a hack shows your hatred and your complete stupidity
Just spent 20 days out at PGA West in La Quinta. Played a couple of rounds with a group of young pros...kids on or trying to get on mini tours. Watched one kid shoot a 67 from the tips at the Stadium course in 20 MPH winds. All of them would cream Tiger Woods, right now.

At that level, Tiger's a complete and total hack, right now. Like Perez said, he can't beat anyone. So why is he out there embarrassing himself? You got to know when to hang them up, WB. Its an age old discussion across all sports, get out before your skills deteriorate, you can't compete and they have to throw you out.

Playing there Sunday. How was it? And I agree with Perez. Tiger is a shell of his former self. He couldn't get out of a bunker without using the wedge as an anchor. Never saw that before. Blatant disregard for the course.

There is only one reason you fly across the world in a few days to play a tourney after just playing in one- $$$$

None of us know if or to what the extent of Tiger's injuries are. Did he use an injury as an excuse after shooting 77 in Dubai ? Or is he not playing because he is no longer competitive with the field ?

Not sure how recently he signed the endorsement deals with Monster, Nike and Taylor Made under his new company TGR but it is likely those deals were contingent upon him playing on the Tour this season.
AFAIK Tiger has said that he was healthy in 2017. If he is not healthy then why play in a handful of tour events, other than for the sponsorship money ?

I agree with Pat Perez that Tiger is done. He no longer can compete in a tour field. But is that because of injury or because he has just lost it ? He will not want to embarrass himself at Augusta. He has become a sideshow at tour events.

imo Tiger got addicted to body building.

not just fit and strong, but bulking up.

i'm guessing many tried to talk him into dialing it down.

Just spent 20 days out at PGA West in La Quinta. Played a couple of rounds with a group of young pros...kids on or trying to get on mini tours. Watched one kid shoot a 67 from the tips at the Stadium course in 20 MPH winds. All of them would cream Tiger Woods, right now.

At that level, Tiger's a complete and total hack, right now. Like Perez said, he can't beat anyone. So why is he out there embarrassing himself? You got to know when to hang them up, WB. Its an age old discussion across all sports, get out before your skills deteriorate, you can't compete and they have to throw you out.
I guess my use of a hack is a lot different than your use of it. I agree that Tiger should hang it up. I said earlier in this thread that if we dont see him at Augusta we wont see him in 2017.
And I doubt kids that arent even good to enough make the Web.com Tour would cream him.
When Tiger starts shooting in the 90s than Ill jump on board with the use of calling him a hack. But to use that term with one of the greatest golfers of all time ever, I think is out of bounds. People love to kick a man when he is down.

Reactions: RU31trap

And some of these young pros probably picked up the sport because of Tiger. All pro golfers should thank Tiger for making them richer.

Playing there Sunday. How was it? And I agree with Perez. Tiger is a shell of his former self. He couldn't get out of a bunker without using the wedge as an anchor. Never saw that before. Blatant disregard for the course.

There is only one reason you fly across the world in a few days to play a tourney after just playing in one- $$$$

I love it in the desert, just wish I knew some more people so I could play the private clubs. But out of the public options, my top five are:

1. PGA West Nicklaus Tournament Course.
One solid hole after the next. Stiff test but not overly so...except for nine and 18...par 5's listed as par fours.

2. Classic Club:
Best value, good golf course. Originally built to host the tourney but it's off the mountains and therefore subject to more wind. Players got blown around out there one year and Phil Mickelson led a mutiny, so they went back to La Quinta. Great clubhouse.

3. Stadium Course:
Not my favorite golf course but fun to see what Pete Dye does when told to go for it.

4. Indian Wells Resort Players Course
Very solid track, 1-18.

5. Mission Hills Pete Dye Course:
If your game has rust from winter, this is a forgiving track and great place to get the confidence going. Big wide driving corridors and big greens.

I guess my use of a hack is a lot different than your use of it. I agree that Tiger should hang it up. I said earlier in this thread that if we dont see him at Augusta we wont see him in 2017.
And I doubt kids that arent even good to enough make the Web.com Tour would cream him.
When Tiger starts shooting in the 90s than Ill jump on board with the use of calling him a hack. But to use that term with one of the greatest golfers of all time ever, I think is out of bounds. People love to kick a man when he is down.
Trump shot 80 with McIlroy and Rory said he was "decent." It's all relative and in that little world of the young, healthy and super gifted, he's a hack. But you're right, anyone shooting 77's in the scope of golf, is no hack.

None of us know if or to what the extent of Tiger's injuries are. Did he use an injury as an excuse after shooting 77 in Dubai ? Or is he not playing because he is no longer competitive with the field ?

Not sure how recently he signed the endorsement deals with Monster, Nike and Taylor Made under his new company TGR but it is likely those deals were contingent upon him playing on the Tour this season.
AFAIK Tiger has said that he was healthy in 2017. If he is not healthy then why play in a handful of tour events, other than for the sponsorship money ?

I agree with Pat Perez that Tiger is done. He no longer can compete in a tour field. But is that because of injury or because he has just lost it ? He will not want to embarrass himself at Augusta. He has become a sideshow at tour events.
It's his back. He has pain, spasms and lots and lots of stiffness...all enormous enemies of a golfer, or any athlete.

All his endorsement deals, except Nike, were signed in the last year. Despite a reported $700 million net worth, he just can't let go of the sponsorship income, even if it means lying to everyone and being non-competive.

Arnie was out there long after he had any chance of winning, so it's just my opinion. I didn't enjoy watching an old Jordan as a Washington Wizard and I don't enjoy watching Tiger as a ceremonial golfer.

I love it in the desert, just wish I knew some more people so I could play the private clubs. But out of the public options, my top five are:

1. PGA West Nicklaus Tournament Course.
One solid hole after the next. Stiff test but not overly so...except for nine and 18...par 5's listed as par fours.

2. Classic Club:
Best value, good golf course. Originally built to host the tourney but it's off the mountains and therefore subject to more wind. Players got blown around out there one year and Phil Mickelson led a mutiny, so they went back to La Quinta. Great clubhouse.

3. Stadium Course:
Not my favorite golf course but fun to see what Pete Dye does when told to go for it.

4. Indian Wells Resort Players Course
Very solid track, 1-18.

5. Mission Hills Pete Dye Course:
If your game has rust from winter, this is a forgiving track and great place to get the confidence going. Big wide driving corridors and big greens.

Thanks. Playing Missinon Hills today, Big Horn tomorrow, PGA West Sunday. Pretty pumped.

Reactions: chase07470

different sport. today's game is about power and distance - the courses are so long that these guys need to kill the ball. players won't last til 35. jason day is already having back issues!

Modern day golf "gym swings" aren't going to last. Golf in general seems to be unhealthy for backs but the power and violence these guys swing with now is crazy. Still prefer watching the languid easy swings of Couples and Love.

Reactions: RUScrew85
imo Tiger got addicted to body building.

not just fit and strong, but bulking up.

i'm guessing many tried to talk him into dialing it down.

Totally agree. At a certain point, the strength training was no longer helping him. If he worked on flexibility instead of strength, he wouldn't be in such pain now. He had already shown he didn't need to outhit others, but for whatever reason, he kept getting bigger & trying to keep up with the youngsters. If he can get back to a point where his built up muscles are less of a hindrance, maybe he could compete.

Modern day golf "gym swings" aren't going to last. Golf in general seems to be unhealthy for backs but the power and violence these guys swing with now is crazy. Still prefer watching the languid easy swings of Couples and Love.

Had the opportunity to walk18 holes with Freddie at a charity event many years ago. Amazing how he swung so easily yet the ball exploded off the clubface.

Modern day golf swings and MLB pitching is the same thing. Swinging too hard and throwing too hard. Backs and elbows can't handle it.

To me, the greatest athlete in a sport isn't necessarily the one with the most victories, but rather the athlete who when performing at their best tops all others. Many race horses, for example, have better records than Secretariat, and won more than 16 races in their careers, but when Sec was at his best, he had no peers, not even the great Man o' War. Tiger will likely never win another major, and thus fall four short of the record, but when he was at his best, he was the best there ever was at his sport (IMO).
He's great no doubt and nobody has done more for the game of golf.....but great players come from behind he never came from behind to win a major. Also most of his wins are on a handful of courses. He never played the courses that did not put him in position to win the tourney or suit his swing. He always had an equipment advantage. Nobody played the same ball that he did etc. I'm going to bet somewhere down the line he was juicing as well.
His problem right now is that he cannot go out and just hit a shot 280. He has to swing from the heels and hit it 320. Too much of an egomaniac

If you take the best golfers of all time when they were peaking and match them up against one another Tiger beats them all. At his best he would out drive Nicklaus by at least 40 to 50 yards. He used his 7-8-9 clubs like a surgical tool to crush what self esteem you had left, and his short game was the dagger in the heart.

In any sport "The flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long" and that in a nutshell defines Tiger Woods career as a golfer.

Last edited:
Reactions: T2Kplus10
$$$ is why Tiger flew across the world to throw his back out.

Let's be real here. Tiger didn't fly coach to Dubai. Hell he probably had a couch or bed on the plane to lay on if he wanted to. Now maybe he hurt his back playing but the jet travel didn't hurt him.

If you take the best golfers of all time when they were peaking and match them up against one another Tiger beats them all. At his best he would out drive Nicolas by at least 40 to 50 yards. He used his 7-8-9 clubs like a surgical tool to crush what self esteem you had left, and his short game was the dagger in the heart.

In any sport "The flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long" and that in a nutshell defines Tiger Woods career as a golfer.

Nope. Silly comparison. Give Jack modern clubs and modern courses and his prime and he'd easily play with if not beat Tiger head to head.

Mickelson is another really flexible guy. You look at his lumpy body and think no way and then watch him swing well past parallel with ease. Long and flexible is great for golf. Tiger's violent swing ruined his body.

original

Plus Phil didn't bulk up on roids during his career. The only golfer in worse shape than mister Man-Tits is a drunk John Daily. Doesn't stop him from winning though.

I'm talking about this:

Good Lord those were bad. Goes to show you a few things. One when you are playing bad and find yourself in bad lies you just put more pressure on your game - it's like bad feedback, Two, he is really trying to muscle some shots there and it looks like he doesn't have the foundation in his lower back to support such a big swing. Plus he's flat our swinging very very hard in most of those - too hard - but hey, he's Tiger and I'm just a duffer so don't listen to me.

Now for most tour golfers I'm sure you can get 15 worse shots so this is really just piling on the guy.

Nope. Silly comparison. Give Jack modern clubs and modern courses and his prime and he'd easily play with if not beat Tiger head to head.
I get the modern clubs comment but don't understand the modern course comment. Modern courses are more difficult than the old courses to compensate the new equipment.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT