ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Transferring Comcast DVR recordings

Terry_2426

Senior
Aug 20, 2014
Comcast is coming next week and upgrading the cable box to the new X1 thing they have...have a bunch of recordings I don't want to lose. Has anyone had any luck transferring DVR recordings to a storage device or their PC or anything like that?

I have always just burned things to an external DVD recorder, which is time consuming. I don't know of any other options besides a hack, and I don't know anything about hacks. Google would be your friend for something like that.

Side notes on X1 topic, the App that affiliates with this X1 Comcast box that enables you take recordings on the road absolutely sucks and never works properly. And the multi room DVR is garbage also - ours stopped functioning awhile ago but isn't a big enough priority for me to call them out. I also recall after install that the bedroom cable boxes (not the actual DVR one) seemed to run awfully slowly and didn't respond immediately to commands from the remote.

Originally posted by Terry_2426:
Comcast is coming next week and upgrading the cable box to the new X1 thing they have...have a bunch of recordings I don't want to lose. Has anyone had any luck transferring DVR recordings to a storage device or their PC or anything like that?
Remember, between your cable/sat/hulu/prime/netflix/espn3/HBO Go, etc....a ton of programming is now available on demand so there is less need to keep recorded programs on a DVR.

Originally posted by Knight_Light:

Remember, between your cable/sat/hulu/prime/netflix/espn3/HBO Go, etc....a ton of programming is now available on demand so there is less need to keep recorded programs on a DVR.
The thing that annoys me with on demand anymore is that you can't fast forward through the commercials on there...makes it completely useless for me, as bad as that sounds.

The thing that annoys me with on demand anymore is that you can't fast forward through the commercials on there...makes it completely useless for me, as bad as that sounds.
Not to mention OnDemand video is pretty crappy video quality...at least DirecTV is anyway.

This is why I try to dvr (vs on-demand) when I can. Also, some channels don't/can't add the episodes to their ondemand library for X days and sometimes that doesnt come until after the following weeks episode airs, so you really can't catch up.

Switch to Fios. I have Xfinity and it isn't too bad. It was slow in the beginning, but the latest update has made it a bit faster. It could still use improvement, but it's bearable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT