ADVERTISEMENT

OT: UConn Football transfers

Perhaps for basketball but at the cost of football? I doubt it is worth it. And the AAC still has some pretty good football programs. Several members have been in the Top 25 over the course of the past 4-5 years - UCF, Memphis, Cincy, Navy, Houston, Temple, even SMU has been ranked. Now what do they get? Lots of payday road games in which the team will be bludgeoned half to death.

I think UConn will regret this move.
Oh I misunderstood, I thought you were talking about strictly basketball. I agree with you.

Huge financial problems State wide that a football program won't/can't solve.

Wouldn't shock me to see them drop or drop down a level in foots.

Reactions: scripts
They have a DB/CB in the portal that could make an immediate impact in our secondary. trying to find the name now.

Tyler Coyle. Led team in tackles two years running. Team captain. A good football player.

I’m not sure that going back to the BE is going to be the remedy they think it will be for them.

I remember arguing with some posters here that (IMO) Brown should never have been selected over Pitt's Shady McCoy in the 2009 draft. Brown was taken in the 1st round, while McCoy lasted until the 2nd round, where the Eagles picked him.

I’m not sure that going back to the BE is going to be the remedy they think it will be for them.
They threw in the towel in regards to football. They admitted that their program could not compete in a G5 southern football conference. They were even left in the dust by Temple, the ultimate humiliation. Their move to FBS football has been exposed as a fraud and sham, propped up artificially by a state legislature and governor that has run its course and is now headed for utter irrelevancy. Good bye, and good riddance.

Reactions: RURod and mdh2003
We could have been in the same situation. Just thankful the B1G gave us an opportunity to join them. Don't trash them, that could have been us.
Unless RU had decided to pick up shop and replant in Oshkosh New England, no, we probably would not be in their situation. Our value as an eyeball market and a recruit resource is too great.

B1G commish and presidents are anything but stupid and altruistic. Other than stuff that never would happen (ND, UT), they made the best deal they could to maximize their value.

So, as far as that pathetic uconn program - feel free to trash. They and their horrible fans deserve it.

Last edited:
They threw in the towel in regards to football. They admitted that their program could not compete in a G5 southern football conference. They were even left in the dust by Temple, the ultimate humiliation. Their move to FBS football has been exposed as a fraud and sham, propped up artificially by a state legislature and governor that has run its course and is now headed for utter irrelevancy. Good bye, and good riddance.

Life - agree, however, I don’t think it’s going to remedy their HOOPS program the way they believe it will.

it is the nature of college football now with the transfer portal. Whenever a team has changes and is in trouble, all the better players will look elsewhere.

If we didn't hire Schiano the flood gates may have been open at Rutgers.
SIN DUDA. (look it up) Nah, means without a doubt.

There are huge deficits at UConn and just a winning basketball program won't resolve that. UConn should have looked inward at their problems -- winning football and basketball programs would (or should) draw in crowds no matter who the opponent is. The administration seems to think playing Providence, St. John's and Villanova instead of Temple, Cincinnati, Houston and SMU is the answer to their problems and it's not.

They've done a decent job putting together football schedules for 2020 and 2021, but there won't be crowds there until they start to win, which they won't. How do you recruit when there is literally nothing to play for? Maybe you get a crowd if you can get a game or two against Syracuse, BC or us, but you are only playing one or two games instead of the full conference slate. They sacrificed football for basketball.

Hurley would have had the program winning no matter what, I think they jumped the gun

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT