ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Vic Davalillo dead at 84.

RUhasarrived

All American
May 7, 2007
The dimunitive outfielder played for parts of 18 seasons in the majors,playing mostly as a regular in the AL in the 60's and as a reserve in the NL in the 70's.
He's remembered most in Philadelphia by his top of the ninth bunt for a hit trailing by 2 runs with two out and no one on allowing the Dodgers to win Game 3 of the NLCS,who then won Game 4 and the Series.The day has since been known as Black Friday in Philly.I didn't move out of my chair for at least 30 minutes,so stunned was I.

Played in an era where if you didn’t attempt to protect the plate with two strikes, hit behind the runner with a man on 2nd with no outs or break up double plays, you’d have to answer to your teammates, not the manager
I grew up in Jersey City and when Castro took over Cuba the Triple A Havana Sugar Kings were forced to leave and they landed at Roosevelt Stadium in JC. They were affiliated with the Cincy Reds organization. Vic was on they team as well as his brother YoYo . It was 1960 and my Giants left for SF and I was raised to hate the Yanks so they were my team. My late brother and I walked to the stadium for almost every game. Louis Arroyo, Chico Cardenas, Dutch Dotterer (sp) and I think Cookie Rojas was too. Great memories!! Wish I had saved the scorecards.

I grew up in Jersey City and when Castro took over Cuba the Triple A Havana Sugar Kings were forced to leave and they landed at Roosevelt Stadium in JC. They were affiliated with the Cincy Reds organization. Vic was on they team as well as his brother YoYo . It was 1960 and my Giants left for SF and I was raised to hate the Yanks so they were my team. My late brother and I walked to the stadium for almost every game. Louis Arroyo, Chico Cardenas, Dutch Dotterer (sp) and I think Cookie Rojas was too. Great memories!! Wish I had saved the scorecards.
Wow
What a great story, and the names!!!!!
Louie A, great with Yanks in 60 and 61.

Dad loved Tug McGraw “you gotta believe” but when it came to the screw ball, he always said ya should have seen Louie’s

Last edited:
Wow
What a great story, and the names!!!!!
Louie A, great with Yanks in 60 and 61.

Dad loved Tug McGraw “you gotta believe” but when it came to the screw ball, he always said ya should have seen Louie’s
My favorite player was a guy named Alvarez. Outfielder who was smooth as silk. He never made the Show but he was fun to watch. Your dad probably knew a lot of them.

My favorite player was a guy named Alvarez. Outfielder who was smooth as silk. He never made the Show but he was fun to watch. Your dad probably knew a lot of them.
Upsetting story. Here in Florida the Marlins had a special day honoring the Havana Sugar Kings. They had Cookie Rojas on the TV broadcast the night before. Of course I went with my Cuban neighbors expecting something special. No...all they wanted to do was sell commemorative t shirts. I refused and we were all discussed.

Upsetting story. Here in Florida the Marlins had a special day honoring the Havana Sugar Kings. They had Cookie Rojas on the TV broadcast the night before. Of course I went with my Cuban neighbors expecting something special. No...all they wanted to do was sell commemorative t shirts. I refused and we were all discussed.
Disgusted lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT