ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2023 MLB Playoffs Thread - Discussion, Betting, Predictions

Barnaby&Neill

All American
Gold Member
Dec 10, 2010
Postseason kicks off today with four games.

Wild Card Round:
Rangers @ Rays
Jays @ Twins
D’backs @ Brewers
Marlins @ Phillies

I’m going Twins and Rays in the AL, then Astros and Rays advancing to the ALCS. Astros in the World Series

D’backs and Phillies in the NL, Braves and Dodgers advancing to the NLCS for the best series of the postseason.

I’ll take Braves over Astros

I hate how they use a pure bracket system. I don't understand it. The Orioles really get the shaft as the 1 seed having to face the winner of Rays/Rangers instead of Twins/Blue Jays.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
I hate how they use a pure bracket system. I don't understand it. The Orioles really get the shaft as the 1 seed having to face the winner of Rays/Rangers instead of Twins/Blue Jays.

Yeah, I don’t know why they don’t re-seed. But the Rangers are under .500 on the road, so possibly a chance for a favorable matchup if Texas gets by the Rays.

A few interesting prop bets:

Bo Bichette: over 1.5 total bases +110 — he’s hit well at Minnesota in his career, this season, and his previous game facing Lopez in Minnesota this year (had a couple of extra base hits in that one).

Brandon Phaadt (edit—Pfaadt): under 14.5 outs -105 — managers are quick to the pen in the postseason. Phaadt is a rookie making his first ever postseason start on the road a three game series. Could easily seeing him getting yanked before 5.

Also took the Twins money line and Rays / Phillies run lines. Road teams won three out of the four wild card series last year; for my sake hopefully that trend doesn’t continue today!

Last edited:
A few interesting prop bets:

Bo Bichette: over 1.5 total bases +110 — he’s hit well at Minnesota in his career, this season, and his previous game facing Lopez in Minnesota this year (had a couple of extra base hits in that one).

Brandon Phaadt: under 14.5 outs -105 — managers are quick to the pen in the postseason. Phaadt is a rookie making his first ever postseason start on the road a three game series. Could easily seeing him getting yanked before 5.

Also took the Twins money line and Rays / Phillies run lines. Road teams won three out of the four wild card series last year; for my sake hopefully that trend doesn’t continue today!
It's Pfaadt, not Phaadt.

Ten posts on MLB playoff opening. 300+ on Swift and Kelce. Pitch clock helped but baseball is still done.

Ten posts on MLB playoff opening. 300+ on Swift and Kelce. Pitch clock helped but baseball is still done.

More like: baseball is a Bryce Harper / Taylor Swift relationship away from having a 300 post thread on a Rutgers message board!

Rangers and Twins are advancing…D’backs and Phillies leading in elimination games.

Could have four sweeps in the wild card round.

4 sweeps
ZERO 1 run games
💩💩💩💩💩💩
A lot of excitement in Philly tonight!

But on a serious note I think there will be no games till Saturday, which is insane. Good for the WC winners so they can set rotations but not for the teams that have the byes. For the byes to be an advantage they need to have the 2nd round start ASAP

4 sweeps
ZERO 1 run games
💩💩💩💩💩💩

The Brewers / D’backs game had a fair amount of drama at the end: while down 3 they had the bases loaded with one out in the eighth, and runners on second and third in the ninth. Couldn’t get any of the runners across,

Phils / Braves might be starting to get some late-90s Mets / Braves energy. Just need a John Rocker type villain to push it over the edge.

Toronto and Tampa Bay quickly eliminated.
Both scary teams earlier in the season.

Toronto and Tampa Bay quickly eliminated.
Both scary teams earlier in the season.

Toronto needs Vlad Jr to return to form next year. That lineup is a lot less scary when he’s hitting .264 with 26 homers

A trend MLB should address: there are four games tomorrow and none of the pitching matchups have been fully announced.

Verlander is going for the Astros and Kershaw for the Dodgers but the others are showing as TBD. I think some are easy to speculate, but still…

1) from a marketing standpoint, fans want to discuss the pitching matchups when discussing a game or series (it’s especially important for attracting fans who don’t have a rooting interest); 2) if you’re going to attract a gambling following, you have to get that info out there—nobody wants to bet on tbd vs tbd. 3) the running back-ification of that position is a bummer.

Toronto needs Vlad Jr to return to form next year. That lineup is a lot less scary when he’s hitting .264 with 26 homers
Haven’t watched enough of the Blue Jays to know, but has Vlad Jr. always been so husky? It was not a good look baseball wise or fitness wise when he got picked off.

Two years ago him and young Bichette put up big numbers leaving the wonder of how high can they achieve. Now, the question may be are the last two years more “the form” and 2021 was more like a career year for each?

As for the current playoffs, that first round was a bummer for a fan without a direct rooting interest.

Reactions: Barnaby&Neill
Haven’t watched enough of the Blue Jays to know, but has Vlad Jr. always been so husky? It was not a good look baseball wise or fitness wise when he got picked off.

Two years ago him and young Bichette put up big numbers leaving the wonder of how high can they achieve. Now, the question may be are the last two years more “the form” and 2021 was more like a career year for each?

As for the current playoffs, that first round was a bummer for a fan without a direct rooting interest.

Bichette missed a chunk of time August this year with an injury, I think if you put 20 games on his 2023 season it’s probably in line with where he’s been the last couple of years.

I can’t tell if Vlad’s bigger but his performance has declined over the last two seasons. Maybe the weight is having a bigger impact as accumulates more mileage under the tires.

Yeah, I don’t know why they don’t re-seed. But the Rangers are under .500 on the road, so possibly a chance for a favorable matchup if Texas gets by the Rays.

So much for this thought about the Rangers road record. They’re looking like road warriors in October

So with the Rangers looking like making it a sweep tonight, will tomorrow’s schedule be re-arranged or will there be a gap with the prime east coast TV time?

If so, why not have had the 1-1 series be today’s night game and the 2-0 one be the early game?

Looking like the AL East will go 0-7 in the postseason. I really only liked the O's of all the teams left. Tell me again how great the AL East really was.Outscore so far 26-5 in those 7 games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT