ADVERTISEMENT

OT: WaWa

I had a Wawa around the corner from me in Iselin while growing up in the 90s, I think it was pretty unusual for a Wawa to be that far north at that time.

I had a Wawa around the corner from me in Iselin while growing up in the 90s, I think it was pretty unusual for a Wawa to be that far north at that time.

I think that might have been the first Wawa I ever went to as well. Also, my first time to Subway was one located on Lincoln Hwy/27 in the mid to late 80s. My dad worked in the area for a few years (and dragged my brother and I to his office once in awhile) otherwise I'd have no reason to be in the Iselin area.

Where in Iselin. I don’t remember a WAWA there
It was part of a small shopping center on the corner of Oak Tree Road and Magnolia. Sometime around 2000 it became a Krauszer's, now the whole building is Patel's Cash & Carry, which was one of the other stores in the shopping center back in the day.

Did that have gas as well?
Nah it was too small for that and Wawa was only one of the businesses there.

Reactions: WhiteBus and RUnTeX
Wawa does one thing very well, it strives to get you in and out of the store, for example if I got less than 5 minutes to spare to get my coffee before I go to work, I'm going to hit up Wawa before I hit up Quick Chek. The latter there could be 10 people in line and they still won't open a second register.

Wawa does one thing very well, it strives to get you in and out of the store, for example if I got less than 5 minutes to spare to get my coffee before I go to work, I'm going to hit up Wawa before I hit up Quick Chek. The latter there could be 10 people in line and they still won't open a second register.
A lot of Quick Chek's have self-checkout now.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Quick Check subs/sandwiches have surpassed Wawa in recent years.

wait, people are suggesting that subs from Wawa or Quickcheck are actually good food and taste good? I understand if you are driving and in a hurry, it might be easy and acceptable to get one. However, even the very best subs from Wawa or Quickcheck are much worse than most local sub shops ... unless of course, you think Burger King makes good hamburgers

Good point, but the newer QCs have 3 or 4 self checkout registers.

The lottery line can get long though.

enjoy their half lemonade half iced tea and their PB in chocolate ice cream.

Oh for sure. The hierarchy of subs is as follows, from worst to best:

Subway, Blimpie
Wawa, Quik Chek
Jersey Mikes
Local sub shop (think Tastees)
Legit Italian delis
My one correction would be the "top" local sub shops are better, definitely not all.

Reactions: ATIOH
10 years you would be right to be excited about it. The last 5 years a steadily decline. Their hoagies once one of the best are just average. Got very expensive too.
To get a decent sub you have to order extra meat and cheese. Otherwise it's just jam packed with lettuce and tomato and they call it a hoagie. They used to be really good but now suck. Though I still like their coffee.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
Don't know where they got their pastries, but I liked the apple fritters and jelly donuts. Plus the one in Columbus on Rt 206 always carried the north Jersey newspapers.

Reactions: bac2therac
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT