ADVERTISEMENT

OT: We may win the World Cup in 2026

Not one bit of any of this bullshit involves any of us. It's none of our business.

How people get so consumed by this sort of pure bullshit reveals an aspect of humanity that is very disgusting and sickening. What is missing in people's lives that they willingly participate in such an ugly and undignified purveying of rumors and manufactured scandal that has absolutely nothing to do with them whatsoever?
As US Soccer fans, the identity of the new coach is very much our business. And if it is someone who may have skeletons in the closet, a case can be made that we are stakeholders with a right to know - before the decision is made

If Berhalter were to announce that he is withdrawing his name from consideration, then yes, none of our business at that point.

As US Soccer fans, the identity of the new coach is very much our business. And if it is someone who may have skeletons in the closet, a case can be made that we are stakeholders with a right to know - before the decision is made

If Berhalter were to announce that he is withdrawing his name from consideration, then yes, none of our business at that point.
I'm expecting him to make that announcement soon enough.
Just hoping they don't name Reyna's father as the new coach.

There is no evidence here of any skeletons in anybody's closet among any of the people involved. All we actually have is an incident from over 25 years ago where only person affected never chose to make it public herself, and clearly has no problem with the person in question seeing as how she married and had children with him.

That should be all anybody here needs to know. It's absolutely none of our business beyond that.

That we're even talking about this is entirely due to one family's extremely distasteful behavior in "outing" a former friend's privately expressed information for personal gain. It's disgusting. What the Reyna family has done is unethical and immoral. We should all be looking the other way, not desperately seeking the next salacious tidbit of rumor to be published about it.

Somewhere along the line, society decided it has some screwed up right to know the intimate personal details about everybody. It's fed by a rabid media desperate to sell ads, or by people with personal or political agendas, and it works because humanity has become so massively screwed up that we actually find a perverse and twisted voyeuristic pleasure in prying into the private lives of people who are essentially strangers to us.

There's nothing relevant to the hiring of the coach in this situation. It's just voyeurism.

What's next, applauding the media running around interviewing every person who's ever had any contract with Berhalter to see if he ever told an off-color joke?

Disgusting.

Was never a fan of his, no big loss IMHO.
Agreed on Martinez. I mentioned Pocchettino waaaay back as a guy to target in the WC thread but figured the US wouldn't spend - apparently not the case with this Zidane news.

SIAP - Berhalter went on record Thursday that "of course" he wants to continue as USMNT coach. This has previously been assumed, but not verified.

Zidane is probably the best available coach. Happy that US Soccer made a run at him, at least they are thinking big.

FnFuhrXWQAQZGnb

Reactions: Kbee3
If I were the USMNT or USSF or whatever, I would allow him to continue to play for the team. After some more discussion.

I would ban his parents from all USMNT events though. Extraordinarily shitty parent behavior by them.

He's the most talented player we have. Of course, he's on the team. The entire USSF leadership, OTOH ...

And, what's to do about his parents? Ban them from practices?

If I were the USMNT or USSF or whatever, I would allow him to continue to play for the team. After some more discussion.

I would ban his parents from all USMNT events though. Extraordinarily shitty parent behavior by them.
Yeah really. How dare Danielle Reyna share such a personal secret, clearly told in confidence over 30 years ago? It was not hers to share. A fine thing to do to Rosalind Berhalter, her supposed close friend, who is apparently the only guiltless party in this drama.

Perhaps it is time to change the title of this thread? The US soccer team is no closer to winning the WC today than it was in 1994. No progress.

Reactions: IanCurtis80
Pretty much this. This isn't high school. The goal of the next coach is getting Reyna performing best for USMNT.
I wouldn't punish the kid for his parent's sins. But the kid, by all accounts, behaved really badly at the WC. When a team has to vote and the vote to let him stay only had one more vote than the vote to send him home, that's indicative of pretty rotten behavior.

So it's not like the kid was without sin of his own. However, he's basically just a kid still, and if it's me making decisions, I give him another chance. But I would also make sure he understands he's on a short-leash for a while. It is NEVER appropriate for a player at that level to be disruptive to the team over playing time.

The parents are old enough to know better and their behavior was disgusting and unforgivable, IMO.

Reactions: Kbee3
This whole melodrama was SO unnecessary.

A young guy not old enough to drink f'd up and publicly apologized for it. Matter closed, right? Wrong! His supposedly grownup coach decided to air the dirty laundry to a bunch of strangers. Oh, but it was "off the record"! How could Berhalter have possibly known that word would leak out? I mean, it's not that all of us carry a videorecorder in our pockets...

And just when you thought that Berhalter could not be outdone in assholery, the Reynas said "Hold our beers".

What do we all think about the Jose Mourinho rumors? He has stated he wants to do the National team coach thing, but after his stint at Spurs......I don't think it's a good thing.

What do we all think about the Jose Mourinho rumors? He has stated he wants to do the National team coach thing, but after his stint at Spurs......I don't think it's a good thing.
USA fans would hate his style of play. Very defense oriented.

I also fail to understand why the USSF would undergo an investigation of an incident that occurred between GB and his now wife of 25 years, over 25 years ago. That's ridiculous. What do they think they're going to find?
How did you all miss this part of the story..

"Through this process, U.S. Soccer has learned about potential inappropriate behavior towards multiple members of our staff by individuals outside of our organization," the federation said.​
[EDIT: OH.. MY BAD... I read that as Berthalder being inappropriate with other staff. DOH!]

How did you all miss this part of the story..

"Through this process, U.S. Soccer has learned about potential inappropriate behavior towards multiple members of our staff by individuals outside of our organization," the federation said.​
[EDIT: OH.. MY BAD... I read that as Berthalder being inappropriate with other staff. DOH!]
Yeah, I'm not aware of any inappropriate behavior by GB beyond the incident with his then GF 25+ years ago. And she forgave him seeing as how she married him. I mostly, but not entirely, see Berhalter as an innocent victim in all this.

GB should never have publicly discussed the unnamed USMNT player who was disruptive during the WC. It was a pretty easy guess who he was talking about. Some things should be kept between the coaches and players and that's one of those things.

And then Reyna compounded the problem by attempting to defend himself in the media, confirming that it was he who was the disruptive player GB had talked about. Which was very ill-advised because there is no defense for Reyna's behavior. Reyna basically did nothing more than confirm that what GB had said was entirely true.

It's irritating that we're still talking about it. Much rather be talking about soccer than this soap-opera crap.

Yeah, I'm not aware of any inappropriate behavior by GB beyond the incident with his then GF 25+ years ago. And she forgave him seeing as how she married him. I mostly, but not entirely, see Berhalter as an innocent victim in all this.

GB should never have publicly discussed the unnamed USMNT player who was disruptive during the WC. It was a pretty easy guess who he was talking about. Some things should be kept between the coaches and players and that's one of those things.

And then Reyna compounded the problem by attempting to defend himself in the media, confirming that it was he who was the disruptive player GB had talked about. Which was very ill-advised because there is no defense for Reyna's behavior. Reyna basically did nothing more than confirm that what GB had said was entirely true.

It's irritating that we're still talking about it. Much rather be talking about soccer than this soap-opera crap.
You can't post about hookers, blow, and sheep and then claim to be irritated by soap operas...well, actually you can, but we reserve the right to chortle at you (and chortle is a very underrated and underused word).

You can't post about hookers, blow, and sheep and then claim to be irritated by soap operas...well, actually you can, but we reserve the right to chortle at you (and chortle is a very underrated and underused word).
Chortle away, but reality TV and soapy BS irritate TF out of me. Both things are enormously popular, which to me, is just more proof that they're signs of the impending apocalypse.

Whereas hookers, blow, sheep and bathroom humor are signs that humanity might finally be maturing a little bit.

Think the other issue was Ernie Stewart and Brian McBride (who was fired/let go) were also contacted. Who know if they tried to help the Reynas.

Chortle away, but reality TV and soapy BS irritate TF out of me. Both things are enormously popular, which to me, is just more proof that they're signs of the impending apocalypse.

Whereas hookers, blow, sheep and bathroom humor are signs that humanity might finally be maturing a little bit.
Chuckle is better.. that is why it is not an underused term.

his stint at spurs is like every other stint he's had anywhere. defense first, second, and third. depend on the individual brilliance of the attacking players to figure out how to score goals on their own.

Lots of new players on the pitch tonight.

Yanks definitely look unorganized with interim coach and camp cupcake squad.

Biggest storyline is the recruiting wins with the dual nationals - Slonina in particular.

Crowd in LA is small…but the USSF has started to charge through the nose for tickets.

Didn't watch last night too late. Glad a lot of the youngsters got capped.

Need to figure out new coach in the next couple of months.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT