ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Weather geeks.. check this out.. strange winds in south jersey

we had some heavy winds in central NC around 10am to 2pm today. front came through. same front? lost power around noon. still out.

just noticed the link does not turn on the windstream .. but its offshore now and looks more like a typical tropical storm circulation.. on land it looked like two different air masses battling it out.

https://www.wunderground.com/wundermap?lat=40.446&lon=-74.386&zoom=8&radar=1&wxstn=0

That link to weatherunderground map with radar and windstream.. as of 6pm.. shows some very odd "seam" of wind west of AC

WTH is that?

6:10 is off the coast now..
Zeta was declared "post-tropical" in the mid-afternoon, but the storm was motoring as it was starting to be absorbed into the approaching trough from the NW and was packing 50 mph winds through NC/VA/DE and even SNJ near the coast this afternoon and evening - that interaction might have made it look unusual vs. a standard tropical system.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT3+shtml/250248.shtml?

Post-Tropical Cyclone Zeta Discussion Number 21
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL282020
500 PM EDT Thu Oct 29 2020

Zeta lost tropical characteristics and was declared post-tropical a
few hours ago. The surface pressure field has become elongated
with the center now embedded within a frontal zone over the
Mid-Atlantic states. The maximum sustained winds are still
estimated to be 45 kt, based on an observation received from
northeastern North Carolina a few hours ago, and winds have been
increasing at marine sites located just off the Mid-Atlantic coast.

Zeta is zooming toward the east-northeast (060/48 kt), and its
center is just about to move off the Delmarva Peninsula over the
western Atlantic waters. This motion should continue for the next
day or so since Zeta is embedded within fast westerly flow ahead of
a strong mid-level trough.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
According to the Rutgers weather station in Sea Girt we've had gusts here of 45. Wind still blowing pretty good.
It was around the time of the post.. 6pm.. that I saw some severe wind out the window here in Middlesex County.. but it was short-lived. I found that odd so I then checked the radar and wind maps on the web. That's when I saw the odd image. Should have taken a screen shot.. because that storm was booking.. moving NE very quickly..

the blob that produced it was indeed Zeta and starts in Mississippi and ends up over Cape Cod in yesterday's radar loop... its hard to see where it is now.. 9:30 AM... Iceland maybe.

https://www.wunderground.com/maps/radar/yesterday

While trying to find images for yesterday's winds.. unsuccessful.. I found this site.. which shows a nice wind map... the seam between two front.. very large.. offshore right now is kinda like what I saw yesterday west of AC.. but it was tiny in comparison.. maybe 5-10 miles wide.... a very tight seam.

https://www.windy.com/?39.961,-59.883,5

Last edited:
It was around the time of the post.. 6pm.. that I saw some severe wind out the window here in Middlesex County.. but it was short-lived. I found that odd so I then checked the radar and wind maps on the web. That's when I saw the odd image. Should have taken a screen shot.. because that storm was booking.. moving NE very quickly..

the blob that produced it was indeed Zeta and starts in Missippi and ends up over Cape Cod in yesterday's radar loop... its hard to see where it is now.. 9:30 AM... Iceland maybe.

https://www.wunderground.com/maps/radar/yesterday

While trying to find images for yesterday's winds.. unsuccessful.. I found this site.. which shows a nice wind map... the seam between two front.. very large.. offshore right now is kinda like what I saw yesterday west of AC.. but it was tiny in comparison.. maybe 5-10 miles wide.... a very tight seam.

https://www.windy.com/?39.961,-59.883,5

Yet we're still getting gusts over 40mph here. Thing just doesn't want to leave lol.

Yet we're still getting gusts over 40mph here. Thing just doesn't want to leave lol.
I think that's the front that swept in behind it.. there is a wide front from Texas to PA.. but in Mississippi you can see a circular formation.. I took it that the circular formation was "Zeta" and it raced along that front and then offshore. But that front was slowly following it and is here now... and has been since most of yesterday.

animate-yesterday.png

I think that's the front that swept in behind it.. there is a wide front from Texas to PA.. but in Mississippi you can see a circular formation.. I took it that the circular formation was "Zeta" and it raced along that front and then offshore. But that front was slowly following it and is here now... and has been since most of yesterday.

animate-yesterday.png

Ok. Thanks. It didn't make sense so I guess I was just concentrating on one while not noticing the other.

I have a loveseat on a high deck. It moved 5' overnight. I guess I had my own personal Derecho lol.

Ok. Thanks. It didn't make sense so I guess I was just concentrating on one while not noticing the other.

I have a loveseat on a high deck. It moved 5' overnight. I guess I had my own personal Derecho lol.
well.. it is confusing to me.. but all the moisture in that other front was probably pumped up there by Zeta.. so it may as well be called Zeta. I really don't know. But the circular motion storm nucleus was to what I was referring.

Last edited:

animate-yesterday.png
You are correct. Zeta moved very fast from LA to here and was in this area around 4-7 pm and then gone way out in the North Atlantic. It technically was extra-tropical by 2 pm yesterday, but it was still a formidable storm with 50+ mph gusts and some heavy rain. The front was essentially what was pressing on the precip in the radar loop you have here along the NW edge of that precip (the snow in the Dakotas was behind the front and essentially became the rains we saw late last night and today).

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT