ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Weekend getaways

Doteman

Senior
Mar 15, 2007
The wife and I want to get away for a quick weekend getaway for our 5th wedding anniversary, probably just a Friday through Sunday as we have a small baby that will stay with my parents. We don't want to fly because of Covid so figure anywhere within a 3-4 hour drive from Piscataway. Was thinking of a place on a lake but doesn't have to be. We love the water, the sun, good food, and lotsa drinks. A friend mentioned Lake Placid/Saratoga but that might be a bit further than we want since we don't want to waste too much time traveling. Any ideas/places you guys have in mind are much appreciated.

The wife and I want to get away for a quick weekend getaway for our 5th wedding anniversary, probably just a Friday through Sunday as we have a small baby that will stay with my parents. We don't want to fly because of Covid so figure anywhere within a 3-4 hour drive from Piscataway. Was thinking of a place on a lake but doesn't have to be. We love the water, the sun, good food, and lotsa drinks. A friend mentioned Lake Placid/Saratoga but that might be a bit further than we want since we don't want to waste too much time traveling. Any ideas/places you guys have in mind are much appreciated.
General recommendation, rent a private house, less to worry about. By the way, when do you want to schedule your weekend?

No problem renting a private house just want somewhere fun where places to eat/drink are still offering a nice outside option. If on a lake/river and we can canoe/kayak/tube that's good too. We are looking to go anywhere from mid July to mid August.

Everyone is trying to do this so just be aware prices might be high as demand is. There may not even be that many rentals available at this point in widely known lake destinations.

Reactions: Doteman
B & B,s either in Sea Girt or Spring Lake.

Reserve now before days sell out.

Beaches are open.

Restaurants as Murph the Surf allows.

https://www.mohonk.com/?nck=gbetri&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqs6Nr8u76gIVFrbICh2LCgAOEAAYASAAEgI5rfD_BwE

Mohonk Mountain House is a great weekend getaway spot.

Also, fwiw, it is Lake George that is near Saratoga. And that should be in your 4 hour driving range.

Not sure if Mohnk is open yet but one of the great wonders of the world. No other way to explain how you are brought back 100 years only an hour or so out of NYC...

You do pay the price though. But if open, and a 600+ room doesnt bother you- wins all other options hands down

https://www.woodloch.com/

https://www.mohonk.com/?nck=gbetri&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqs6Nr8u76gIVFrbICh2LCgAOEAAYASAAEgI5rfD_BwE

Mohonk Mountain House is a great weekend getaway spot.

Also, fwiw, it is Lake George that is near Saratoga. And that should be in your 4 hour driving range.
I would stay away from lake George proper. We just left that area(Airbnb about 10 miles south) and the town of lake George was worse than the boardwalks at the jersey shore. Way too many people in a small area and very few wearing masks. Stay out of town and it’s a great place to get away.

Any good lake towns in Connecticut? Seems like most people rushed to the NY or PA hot spots.

Try the Delaware seashore. Rehoboth Beach etc. Was there in late June. Beaches are open and you can dine indoors as they enforce distancing and have a strict sanitation protocol. Also most people outside wear masks. Wherever you go, enjoy and congrats on the 5 years.

Woodloch- Love it there. Many wonderful things to do, but it's very expensive. Crystal Springs is also nice and not as expensive. (Minerals is cheaper to stay at then Grand Cascades) There are not as many activites but more of a relaxed & chill vibe. If you like golf, hiking, swimming, good food, wine and massages I recommend it.

https://www.crystalgolfresort.com/?utm_source=GMB&utm_medium=organic

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT