ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What are everybody's plans to attend spring games

jaydogsmooth1

Senior
Jul 28, 2021
While the last spring game thread got derailed for reasons we won't mention, what are everyone's plans for attending spring games this year (ours/others)?
Mine are below, in order of date:

4/20 - FSU (Battles End, the NIL venture, is having an event Friday night with Coach Norvell) - Meeting a few buddies down in Tally, hit up College Town, and search for Herbstreiit (joking)

4/21 - Monmouth (TBD on the game, I can't get a concrete answer on the time) - The boys from West Long Branch are always fun to watch. It's a nice set up and relaxed atmosphere.

4/27 - Rutgers (Plan is to arrive by noon 12:30, cook a few burgers and have some cold ones) - My neighbor, what I'd call a "budding" Rutgers fan is coming with me. He gets out of work around 11:30, I'll have the car packed the night before. His wife graduated from Rutgers, they fly the flag in front of their house, and he likes coming to games, but doesn't follow recruiting and looks at me like I have 6 heads whenever I talk about road trips, NIL and season tickets.

I usually wouldn't be hitting 3 games, but this winter was a rough one with all the snow.
There's no Arena League team in Jersey (not rooting for the Soul in Philly, regardless if they play the entire season in Trenton)
And the Generals are now defunct - I looked forward to them playing games at Rutgers or possibly Red Bull Arena

Hence, getting this in before the dog days of summer kick in.
Anyone else have plans for spring game action?

RU game only. A little tailgating with the crew and discussion and planning for which away games we will hit. UMD will be a definite ( my son went to UMD and lives in Baltimore) most likely VT as well.

RU game only. A little tailgating with the crew and discussion and planning for which away games we will hit. UMD will be a definite ( my son went to UMD and lives in Baltimore) most likely VT as well.
Highly recommend VT

Blacksburg is a great college town, beautiful campus and the atmosphere at Lane Stadium is top notch

Reactions: JCin128
Going to see Jim Breuer in Red Bank early show.
Basie has really stepped up their game post Covid

I wish they'd have more Broadway type shows there, but overall they have a nice selection and the new music theater connected to it is nice

Million dollar question though... where are you going to eat pre/post show?

I wish they'd have more Broadway type shows there, but overall they have a nice selection and the new music theater connected to it is nice

Yes, shows have been great. Bought the tickets before the Spring game was announced (or was unaware of the date), Have watched a few Breuer clips, and his shows are hilarious. Saw a show or two over at the smaller theater (the Vogel), and that is a nice space. Haven't figured out the post show eats yet. We may hit 26 West, or head East and go to someplace in Sea Bright. We left Rumson in 2017, and we rarely go back there for any reason.

IMO, the Spring game is not all that exciting and never tells the fans much what to expect. As examples, QBs who have tended to shine in the Spring game have transferred out. But it is a good time to get together for tailgates and see you some old friends to get amped for the upcoming season.

Reactions: newell138
Yes, shows have been great. Bought the tickets before the Spring game was announced (or was unaware of the date), Have watched a few Breuer clips, and his shows are hilarious. Saw a show or two over at the smaller theater (the Vogel), and that is a nice space. Haven't figured out the post show eats yet. We may hit 26 West, or head East and go to someplace in Sea Bright. We left Rumson in 2017, and we rarely go back there for any reason.

IMO, the Spring game is not all that exciting and never tells the fans much what to expect. As examples, QBs who have tended to shine in the Spring game have transferred out. But it is a good time to get together for tailgates and see you some old friends to get amped for the upcoming season.
Vogel has been a nice addition for sure
We usually hit Buena Sera - love the ambiance and convenience

Spring game is admittedly more for getting together and tailgating, as the game plans are vanilla and guys are held out for hangnails - but still a good time to see live action, hear the pads thumping and see major D1 athletes doing with athletitsim most of us could only dream of

Was considering going to Tennessee but didn’t end up going. Will likely go to RU…have not seen spring game in a few years due to kids sports.

I don't have any interest. The only one I ever attended was at Rutgers, when my son was considering the school and we were there for Rutgers Day...

ETA: Spanky made a good case above for attending, I must say.

Have to go to https://buona-sera.com/ It's right next to Count Basie. Better make reservations days before any show though.

While the last spring game thread got derailed for reasons we won't mention, what are everyone's plans for attending spring games this year (ours/others)?
Mine are below, in order of date:

4/20 - FSU (Battles End, the NIL venture, is having an event Friday night with Coach Norvell) - Meeting a few buddies down in Tally, hit up College Town, and search for Herbstreiit (joking)

4/21 - Monmouth (TBD on the game, I can't get a concrete answer on the time) - The boys from West Long Branch are always fun to watch. It's a nice set up and relaxed atmosphere.

4/27 - Rutgers (Plan is to arrive by noon 12:30, cook a few burgers and have some cold ones) - My neighbor, what I'd call a "budding" Rutgers fan is coming with me. He gets out of work around 11:30, I'll have the car packed the night before. His wife graduated from Rutgers, they fly the flag in front of their house, and he likes coming to games, but doesn't follow recruiting and looks at me like I have 6 heads whenever I talk about road trips, NIL and season tickets.

I usually wouldn't be hitting 3 games, but this winter was a rough one with all the snow.
There's no Arena League team in Jersey (not rooting for the Soul in Philly, regardless if they play the entire season in Trenton)
And the Generals are now defunct - I looked forward to them playing games at Rutgers or possibly Red Bull Arena

Hence, getting this in before the dog days of summer kick in.
Anyone else have plans for spring game action?
Pass on the RU game. I hear security has been contracted to the TSA and the bottleneck at the gates will be biblical.

So join us!

Who gives a shit about the game when you're having a tailgate of biblical proportions!!!
LOL! I've gone to RU games where I just tailgated and then went home as the crew put themselves through 3 and 1/2 hours of torture. Me smart! :)

First time in 25+ years I won't be making the spring game. Hosting an early dinner/party in NB for about 30 friends (it's my birthday), finishing up at 7 pm so some of us can then make it over to the Elks for another one of those Melody Reunions. Should be a fun night...will have to watch the game on DVR.

First time in 25+ years I won't be making the spring game. Hosting an early dinner/party in NB for about 30 friends (it's my birthday), finishing up at 7 pm so some of us can then make it over to the Elks for another one of those Melody Reunions. Should be a fun night...will have to watch the game on DVR.
You getting old.

m7h6rM.gif

Reactions: RU848789
And what about Dr. Ahlert?
Dr. Boikess is still around too. The author of our freshman chemistry book. Ran into him in the club a couple of years back. He is a fun guy to talk to. Class of 1957 undergrad, he is probably close to 90 years old and still "working."

And what about Dr. Ahlert?
Ahlert was in semi-retirement by the time I got there. Never had him as a professor. Dr. C, Davidson, Kosson, Buettner, Wang, Moghe, Glasser, Pedersen, and Muzzio. These were all in the mix for my undergrad and grad classes. Likely missing one or two.

Happy Bday! Have a great time!

Ahlert was in semi-retirement by the time I got there. Never had him as a professor. Dr. C, Davidson, Kosson, Buettner, Wang, Moghe, Glasser, Pedersen, and Muzzio. These were all in the mix for my undergrad and grad classes. Likely missing one or two.
Ahlert was my PhD advisor. Guy was kind of a dick to many, but if he liked you (and for some reason he liked me, lol), he'd do whatever he could for you. He was a huge help in setting up my interdisciplinary PhD (first one at RU involving eng'g and non-eng'g areas, i.e., environmental law and public policy). He retired in the late 90s and went into consulting in FL. He'd be in his early 90s if he's still alive.

Kosson and I started RU at the same time and I met him my first day on campus. He was studying for an advanced placement test in the laundry room, while I was heading out to play touch football with some guys from our floor. He got his PhD in 7 years - took me 9, lol (which isn't "slow" - 7 is just unheard of). We were summer roommates after soph/jr years and eventually he left RU to become dept. head at Vanderbilt (he's still there, but not dept. head).

And Pedersen came to RU from Sweden when I was a junior and he lived across the street from me one summer (when I was on Ray St. living with Kosson). Big surfer at the time and very nice guy and good prof, eventually becoming chair. Buettner came right after I finished and is now dept. chair. I worked with both Pedersen and Buetter for years while I was doing my recruiting of chem E's at Rutgers for Merck. I know the others you listed, but not as well. You may have also had Kinast, Rankine, Chiew and a few others.

Ahlert was my PhD advisor. Guy was kind of a dick to many, but if he liked you (and for some reason he liked me, lol), he'd do whatever he could for you. He was a huge help in setting up my interdisciplinary PhD (first one at RU involving eng'g and non-eng'g areas, i.e., environmental law and public policy). He retired in the late 90s and went into consulting in FL. He'd be in his early 90s if he's still alive.

Kosson and I started RU at the same time and I met him my first day on campus. He was studying for an advanced placement test in the laundry room, while I was heading out to play touch football with some guys from our floor. He got his PhD in 7 years - took me 9, lol (which isn't "slow" - 7 is just unheard of). We were summer roommates after soph/jr years and eventually he left RU to become dept. head at Vanderbilt (he's still there, but not dept. head).

And Pedersen came to RU from Sweden when I was a junior and he lived across the street from me one summer (when I was on Ray St. living with Kosson). Big surfer at the time and very nice guy and good prof, eventually becoming chair. Buettner came right after I finished and is now dept. chair. I worked with both Pedersen and Buetter for years while I was doing my recruiting of chem E's at Rutgers for Merck. I know the others you listed, but not as well. You may have also had Kinast, Rankine, Chiew and a few others.
I think Ahlert still taught an elective or two during my time, but nothing core (since I never had him or even met him that I can recall). Kosson was wonderful and taught my transfer classes. Then started he a center in the department (environmental?) and then left for Vandy during my 4th (I think) undergrad year. I did a 5-year dual degree program.

Not only did Davidson recommend to me an MBA instead of a PhD, he also suggested the dual degree program. We shared an interest in history (one of my minors at the time) and he said you can get another year of undergrad, lighten the load on ChemE classes, and enjoy another subject. Both were very good decisions.

No on Kinast or Rankine. Yes on Chiew. Was Chiew thermo? No, I think that was Wang. Was Chiew P-Chem?

EDIT: I'm now second guessing my timing on when Kosson left RU. After my 4th year, maybe that was when Kosson started that enviro center? LOL. Once I pivoted my career and went MBA/commercial, I quickly lost touch with RU ChemE. Just kept in touch with Davidson for a few years afterwards.

Last edited:
Either of you have Dr. Bernath? Had him for a couple of classes, Transport Phenomena was one of them. I and my buddies arranged to have pizza delivered to him in the middle of class from Skinny Vinnie's.

Either of you have Dr. Bernath? Had him for a couple of classes, Transport Phenomena was one of them. I and my buddies arranged to have pizza delivered to him in the middle of class from Skinny Vinnie's.
The name sounded familiar, but no for me. I can't remember the name of the professor I had for both process classes/labs, but he was new to RU at the time. Was SERC open for you guys? Most of my classes were there.

Yes, I had Bernath. He was one of the reasons I chose RU (over "better" schools), as I got to talk to him on my campus visit, as I was interested in chem eng'g and he just seemed like a really interesting down-to-earth guy - he also recommended Stuff Yer Face to us for grabbing a bite - one of the great recommendations ever, lol. Really good teacher and advisor and he eventually left the CE dept in the late 80s to join the dean's office as an administrator/advisor.

Yes, I had Bernath. He was one of the reasons I chose RU (over "better" schools), as I got to talk to him on my campus visit, as I was interested in chem eng'g and he just seemed like a really interesting down-to-earth guy - he also recommended Stuff Yer Face to us for grabbing a bite - one of the great recommendations ever, lol. Really good teacher and advisor and he eventually left the CE dept in the late 80s to join the dean's office as an administrator/advisor.
That's where I remember his name. Dr. Bernath was the Assistant Dean of COE during my time. Academic Affairs? He was always available for helping with class schedules and making sure we had the right prereqs. Since I was dual degree, my schedule was more complicated. He waived a few prereqs for me and make other recommendations.

I think Ahlert still taught an elective or two during my time, but nothing core (since I never had him or even met him that I can recall). Kosson was wonderful and taught my transfer classes. Then started he a center in the department (environmental?) and then left for Vandy during my 4th (I think) undergrad year. I did a 5-year dual degree program.

Not only did Davidson recommend to me an MBA instead of a PhD, he also suggested the dual degree program. We shared an interest in history (one of my minors at the time) and he said you can get another year of undergrad, lighten the load on ChemE classes, and enjoy another subject. Both were very good decisions.

No on Kinast or Rankine. Yes on Chiew. Was Chiew thermo? No, I think that was Wang. Was Chiew P-Chem?

EDIT: I'm now second guessing my timing on when Kosson left RU. After my 4th year, maybe that was when Kosson started that enviro center? LOL. Once I pivoted my career and went MBA/commercial, I quickly lost touch with RU ChemE. Just kept in touch with Davidson for a few years afterwards.
Dave was a good friend and a brilliant, hard working guy, who was also much nicer/fairer than Ahlert. If I recall correctly, he and Ahlert started the center after I finished up grad school in 89 under Ahlert - my research was part of a major grant Ahlert had gotten and was related to Kosson's PhD research (different facets of bioremediation of hazardous waste sites). There was some discussion about having me stay on a tenure track position, but I really wanted to get out into the "real world." I think Dave left RU in the late 90s for Vandy.

Davidson was also a pretty good guy. My roommate and I who were both in grad school in CE in the mid/late 80s and played a lot of golf (hey, we were right across the street from the RU course) used to get invited by Davidson to come play golf with him at Forsgate, where he was a member. We could hit the ball further, but he was a 4-handicap (we were both around 7/8) and a much smarter player and would almost always beat us - and he relished it, lol. Doesn't surprise me he gave you good advice. He also used to do a lot of expert witness testimony in industrial accidents/safety.

Chiew was thermo - I was in his first grad thermo course and he never stopped writing on the board, lol. Tough but fair teacher.

I'm thinking about hosting a pro palestine rally in the green lot. I may actually light myself on fire after a couple of drinks. If I'm OK after that, I'll head into the stadium.

Dave was a good friend and a brilliant, hard working guy, who was also much nicer/fairer than Ahlert. If I recall correctly, he and Ahlert started the center after I finished up grad school in 89 under Ahlert - my research was part of a major grant Ahlert had gotten and was related to Kosson's PhD research (different facets of bioremediation of hazardous waste sites). There was some discussion about having me stay on a tenure track position, but I really wanted to get out into the "real world." I think Dave left RU in the late 90s for Vandy.

Davidson was also a pretty good guy. My roommate and I who were both in grad school in CE in the mid/late 80s and played a lot of golf (hey, we were right across the street from the RU course) used to get invited by Davidson to come play golf with him at Forsgate, where he was a member. We could hit the ball further, but he was a 4-handicap (we were both around 7/8) and a much smarter player and would almost always beat us - and he relished it, lol. Doesn't surprise me he gave you good advice. He also used to do a lot of expert witness testimony in industrial accidents/safety.

Chiew was thermo - I was in his first grad thermo course and he never stopped writing on the board, lol. Tough but fair teacher.
That timing sounds right. IIRC, Kosson leaving was a bit controversial. I believe RU gave him that center and allowed him to start building an enviro department (or add it to the ChemE department). So, him leaving caused some hard feelings, at least for a while.

That story is textbook Davidson. I remember him constantly talking about how his Audi was a better car than Dr. C's Mercedes. LOL! He was in competition with everyone. :)

Regardless, Davidson gave me a lot of good advice when I was trying to figure out adult life and I will always appreciate him for that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT