ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What Fraternity were you in?

Reading this, it is amazing how many of the fraternities have been kicked off campus (or suspended for a while). Given that 18-22 year old guys are a rather lawless bunch, I guess it makes sense that when you bring a bunch of them together in an unsupervised environment with a lot of alcohol...a lot can go wrong.

Reading this, it is amazing how many of the fraternities have been kicked off campus (or suspended for a while). Given that 18-22 year old guys are a rather lawless bunch, I guess it makes sense that when you bring a bunch of them together in an unsupervised environment with a lot of alcohol...a lot can go wrong.
It's mainly Rutgers stance on Greek Life - much stricter and less reasonable than most schools.

Reactions: scarletjimmy

TheyTookTheBar_zpsa62zyjpg.jpg

Reactions: biazza38
Phi Delt was booted?!? You guys were a model fraternity in the early 90s. What happened?

I knew this question was coming lol.

Our national went dry in 2000 or so. The undergrads were sloppy about violating the dry policy and did so multiple times, including drunk women under 21 being arrested and telling the police they were served at the house. The numbers dropped, too - to about 30 guys. I think there's 98 brothers now.

I think that the RU fraternity world changed in the mid to late 1960's. In the early sixties, we had to apply to the dean's office for a party permit for an event when more than five (I think) girls would be in the house.

in the early 1960's, we had all three meals in the fraternity. There were two dinner servings:
[1] Early dinner at 5:30 when you'd wait in line for the house's professional chef to fill your plate; and
[2] Late dinner at 6:00 with candle light, linen table cloths, and waiters (usually pledges) in white waiter's jackets. Jacket and tie were a must for late dinner. Usually, a few of us were invited into the housemother's quarters for a glass of sherry before late dinner

There were three "big weekends" each year, Soph Hop in November, Junior Prom in March and Mili Ball in May. On Soph Hop weekend, there would be a major concert in the Gym, e.g Johnny Mathis, Ray Charles, etc. The guys would move out for the weekend and their dates would move in. Two chaperones (in addition to the housemother) were required. They were either a professor and his wife or the parents of one of the guys.

While all of the above was quite structured, it was very enjoyable, civilized and grown up, and really unforgettable. And, we never felt that we were missing out on fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: RU62
It's mainly Rutgers stance on Greek Life - much stricter and less reasonable than most schools.
This... It's not necessarily just RU. Sigma Phi Epsilon lost their house in 2010 because the landlord felt like renting to a sorority. That same sorority is now moving into my fraternity's old house right on College Ave and another sorority is moving into the Phi Sig/SigEp house.

I think that the RU fraternity world changed in the mid to late 1960's. In the early sixties, we had to apply to the dean's office for a party permit for an event when more than five (I think) girls would be in the house.
Well things drastically changed after the Lambda Chi incident in February, 1988 - the party scene was pretty much killed (I know my DJ business from the fraternities evaporated after that) and I think the fraternities had to rip out their bars.

haha don't be so sensitive, I went to Ocean Township HS. There were 3 of us in the DJ group and a bunch of close friends who helped and were considered part of the group, maybe you knew one of them.

Ha! All good did you know Bods (Kinnelon Zeta guy)? He messed around a little with it also over at The Melody.

This... It's not necessarily just RU. Sigma Phi Epsilon lost their house in 2010 because the landlord felt like renting to a sorority. That same sorority is now moving into my fraternity's old house right on College Ave and another sorority is moving into the Phi Sig/SigEp house.
I was a Sig Ep in 1969 and wqe had 2 houses 572 & 574 George Street. Now gone,

Ha! All good did you know Bods (Kinnelon Zeta guy)? He messed around a little with it also over at The Melody.
No not really but I must admit, I was always terrible with names so it's possible I know him by face LOL. We also ran the show across the street at Roxy's on Mondays and later Thursdays for quite a few years, had a few DJ friends who spin Trance up stairs at Melody where we sometimes hang out when not working so it's always possible.

I had some old roommates in Chi Psi back in the mid 90's. I watched some Frat house burn to the ground one night, can't remember which, but supposedly there were some insurance fraud rumblings around that time.

Sigma Phi Epsilon, Class of 1964. Lived at 572 and 574 George Street. SigEp owned both houses. Many years later, the combined property was sold to Phi Gamma Delta.

Reactions: Bill 86
Alpha Kappa Lambda.
Pledged while at 14 Lafayette Street, now a RU owned building...
Moved to 10 Union....now demolished...

As for AKL... Charter revoked. Same fate as many others on here.

Reactions: Dented Coors
Tau Epsilon Phi then we were kicked out for going co-Ed and became Gamma Sigma at 19 Union Street. The house with the fire pole to the basement

Reactions: rurichdog
Alpha Zeta, the coed honors fraternity on Cook. We don't have an official house (we use a brother's off-campus house for parties and events), and we call everyone "brothers" regardless of gender. (Our chapter was the first to allow women, long before the national organization did, so our reports would call everyone "Brother [last name]" to hide the fact.)

We had to write a paper during pledging about our view of a 2-sided issue and debate it before being initiated.

I had some old roommates in Chi Psi back in the mid 90's. I watched some Frat house burn to the ground one night, can't remember which, but supposedly there were some insurance fraud rumblings around that time.
That happened to a few, but I think you're talking about Sammy. The house burned down New Year's Eve 1999. It was right next to the grease trucks on college ave.

I was Alpha Class at Trenton State (now TCNJ) in 1989. We used to do Keg Rolls up to Rutgers back then. Long way to run, even in a group with sag wagons.

I participated in one of those and have a few news clips of it. Better to drink them than to roll them.

ADVERTISEMENT