ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What Fraternity were you in?

Alpha Zeta, the coed honors fraternity on Cook. We don't have an official house (we use a brother's off-campus house for parties and events), and we call everyone "brothers" regardless of gender. (Our chapter was the first to allow women, long before the national organization did, so our reports would call everyone "Brother [last name]" to hide the fact.)

We had to write a paper during pledging about our view of a 2-sided issue and debate it before being initiated.
When did it start at Cook
Never heard of it until now but I graduated in 78

I lived in the Delta house 37 years after the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor

Reactions: RUnTeX
I was going to joke and say Alpha Zeta (AZ-The National Environmental Science/Biology Honors Society)) as a joke but Lady '09 did mention. More of a resume padder than anything. No real parties that I remember. Kind of special though in that one had to be selected, write a paper and defend the topic. No real buddies (that was pretty much the case at Cook though I knew Shields on this board from high school and got to know a few guy from the football team). I ran into the girl I liked from AZ (n a few classes) as a temp at AT&T and she didn't even say hello.

like to "joke" that, due to excessive weeding out at Cook my grades were so bad afterv two years that the only thing I was a part of or "inside of" was Mabel Smith Douglass- the Library

Last edited:
Reading this, it is amazing how many of the fraternities have been kicked off campus (or suspended for a while). Given that 18-22 year old guys are a rather lawless bunch, I guess it makes sense that when you bring a bunch of them together in an unsupervised environment with a lot of alcohol...a lot can go wrong.

When I was an undergrad at Cook ('81-'86) "Playboy" named the Rutgers frats as the crudest in the county.

When I was an undergrad at Cook ('81-'86) "Playboy" named the Rutgers frats as the crudest in the county.
Lambda Chi Alpha from 82 until graduating in 86. Lived in house all but my first semester. On behalf of my brothers...
tumblr_n8a6s7lofb1sr7oyro1_500.gif

I think that the RU fraternity world changed in the mid to late 1960's. In the early sixties, we had to apply to the dean's office for a party permit for an event when more than five (I think) girls would be in the house.

in the early 1960's, we had all three meals in the fraternity. There were two dinner servings:
[1] Early dinner at 5:30 when you'd wait in line for the house's professional chef to fill your plate; and
[2] Late dinner at 6:00 with candle light, linen table cloths, and waiters (usually pledges) in white waiter's jackets. Jacket and tie were a must for late dinner. Usually, a few of us were invited into the housemother's quarters for a glass of sherry before late dinner

There were three "big weekends" each year, Soph Hop in November, Junior Prom in March and Mili Ball in May. On Soph Hop weekend, there would be a major concert in the Gym, e.g Johnny Mathis, Ray Charles, etc. The guys would move out for the weekend and their dates would move in. Two chaperones (in addition to the housemother) were required. They were either a professor and his wife or the parents of one of the guys.

While all of the above was quite structured, it was very enjoyable, civilized and grown up, and really unforgettable. And, we never felt that we were missing out on fun.
I think you just nailed how frats should be. The open party, giant bash, meat market stuff was fun.. but ultimately shallow and not sustainable in the long run.. obviously. Frats lasted over 150 years at Rutgers.. they are a dying breed now and a return to such a civilized social calendar might actually work.

ADVERTISEMENT