ADVERTISEMENT

OT: WTF how does Penn State get their dance marathon on NYC TV?

ScarletR97

Sophomore
Aug 3, 2010
1/2 hour show featuring their dance marathon and a donation link. Come On Rutgers....we have to get NBC to air ours since we have multiple RU grads there!

Reactions: BigEastPhil
Oh good lord the "Thon - it's for the kids". I guess it's better than "we are raising money for the Hersey medical center to pay salaries, yada yada yada". I haven't looked in years, but if my memory is correct less than 10% goes to anything anyone would call "for the kids" a la the Ronald McDonald house and organizations like that, but boy they do a great job selling it as such.

Oh good lord the "Thon - it's for the kids". I guess it's better than "we are raising money for the Hersey medical center to pay salaries, yada yada yada". I haven't looked in years, but if my memory is correct less than 10% goes to anything anyone would call "for the kids" a la the Ronald McDonald house and organizations like that, but boy they do a great job selling it as such.
Yes, this was uncovered years ago. Maybe they changed things, but I doubt it.

if we really wanted to mess with them we would support the hell out of it and raise more from RU then PSU

Reactions: bryanjints

I think this covers it pretty well.

Reactions: MrsScrew

cousin-eddie-Bingo.jpg

Maybe it’ll give the Rutgers DM people some good new ideas?
I don't think Rutgers DM is as established as Thon is at this point, so a NY media buy would be tough. It does well and it's still growing, but not at that place yet. Now, maybe there is potential for a media partner to sponsor or get involved as a charitable or community outreach effort. That could work too.

I think this covers it pretty well.

You guys sure about that?

No issue with this. I’m in a position to know quite a bit about RUDM. Those kids work their butts off, but Covid has really changed the game the last two years causing overall funds raised to be significantly lower (at a time when the patients & families benefitting from the funds are arguably struggling more than ever). On a relative basis, it’s likely that PSU Thon has experienced the same, so if they want to use a new tactic to drive fundraising dollars, they won’t get an objection from me.

Edited to add: Rather than complain about seeing Thon on tv, why not donate to RUDM if you are able? Click here to donate

Last edited:
Reactions: RUDiddy777
No issue with this. I’m in a position to know quite a bit about RUDM. Those kids work their butts off, but Covid has really changed the game the last two years causing overall funds raised to be significantly lower (at a time when the patients & families benefitting from the funds are arguably struggling more than ever). On a relative basis, it’s likely that PSU Thon has experienced the same, so if they want to use a new tactic to drive fundraising dollars, they won’t get an objection from me.
It's a smart move if you can swing it financially. There are probably a ton of PSU alums in the viewing area, who may not even remember that Thon was coming up. They will be like, "Oh yeah, forgot about that, let me click on the link and donate something." Makes it easy for people to stay involved and support the event even if it's from their couches.

1/2 hour show featuring their dance marathon and a donation link. Come On Rutgers....we have to get NBC to air ours since we have multiple RU grads there!

They’ve been in the game longer - they’ve got 26 years on us. PSUs Thon has been the model for all other schools, including ours. They did nearly 14 million. We just recently got over the 1 mm mark.

Good question. Considering all donations are solely for patients at the Penn State Milton Hersey Medical Center.

Good question. Considering all donations are solely for patients at the Penn State Milton Hersey Medical Center.

RUDM’s sole beneficiary is the Embrace Kids Foundation in New Brunswick, which is across the street from RWJ. PSUs Thon is so large, they also help fund research.

One of the benefits of the partnership is that the student orgs adopt a family (this is a feature of both RU and PSU). It’s incredibly rewarding for the students, children and families - though unfortunately it doesn’t always go as we all hope.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT