ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Xbox One X

Not a console guy but have been itching to play Red Dead Redemption 2 from all I have seen about it.

So I looked up some info.. PS4Pro vs Xbox 1X... the 1X has better hardware.. PS5 likely coming next year. The next xbox in 2020..

1X is 4K ready.. but knowing how hard it is to get good performance on 4K games with a regular monitor.. not sure what to expect from the 1X. Am a PC guy.

Also read about that streaming only xbox.. no, it won't have as good hardware as 1X... but will be half the price.

Last edited:
Xbox One X is the first interesting console imo. I've been video card shopping the last few months, and I have been up to my eyeballs in gaming/hardware reviews etc.

PC gaming was taking a beating with the cryptocurrency craze that drove video card prices sky high. Then there was/is the Windows 10 nonsense. More PC gamers now find the Box interesting and that's unusual.

No question the Box now has more guts and better performance (helped by the fact that the Box is easier to optimize for and with no need for an OS etc). The Box can play games on 4K TVs but there are some lines being fudged. Windows games can be "optimized" for 4k but that really means they are simplified. But they can still look good.

For me the big problem is the way Box games are priced. Steam games always come down at some point. I've got 200 games on Steam and didn't pay more than 15.00 for most of them (I always wait a year for top games). Console games just dont get as cheap

Last edited:
Xbox One X is the first interesting console imo. I've been video card shopping the last few months, and I have been up to my eyeballs in gaming/hardware reviews etc.

PC gaming was taking a beating with the cryptocurrency craze that drove video card prices sky high. Then there was/is the Windows 10 nonsense. More PC gamers now find the Box interesting and that's unusual.

No question the Box now has more guts and better performance (helped by the fact that the Box is easier to optimize for and with no need for an OS etc). The Box can play games on 4K TVs but there are some lines being fudged. Windows games can be "optimized" for 4k but that really means they are simplified. But they can still look good.

For me the big problem is the way Box games are priced. Steam games always come down at some point. I've got 200 games on Steam and didn't pay more than 15.00 for most of them (I always wait a year for top games)

Currently have eight lightly used evga 1070’s if you want one for cheap. Was surprised to see the RTX’s already on sale today. Steam sale is really tempting me this weekend, but the amount of games already in my backlog is insane.

As for OP, like GoodOl’ said, it really depends what your current set up is and what games youre playing. Red Dead looks amazing on X/PS4 Pro, but it looks great on regular PS4 too. Have been tempted to upgrade, but holding off. Can’t justify the purchase when everything looks good already.

Currently have eight lightly used evga 1070’s if you want one for cheap..

You a miner? Miners have been dumping a ton of cards on Ebay and in forums. I would have been interested in a 1070 a few weeks ago but recently bought Sapphire AMD 580 (I'm a 1080 gamer who finds "ultra" settings a scam lol)

Currently have eight lightly used evga 1070’s if you want one for cheap. Was surprised to see the RTX’s already on sale today. Steam sale is really tempting me this weekend, but the amount of games already in my backlog is insane.

As for OP, like GoodOl’ said, it really depends what your current set up is and what games youre playing. Red Dead looks amazing on X/PS4 Pro, but it looks great on regular PS4 too. Have been tempted to upgrade, but holding off. Can’t justify the purchase when everything looks good already.
If you are a PS4 guy I'd def wait for PS5 next year.

Yeah.. I think the 1070s ands 1080s .. used.. are a deal right now.. the nextgen 2000 RTX are really not much faster and their real value will come from games not yet available.

If you are a eSports of FPS shooter type.. buying a fast 144hz 1440p monitor is probably the better deal for your $500. Pair it with a 1070 or 1080 and your frame rate will give you a nice advantage.. or bring you equal with the folk already using such a rig. Something like this 27 inch Asus rog that has gsync for an nvidia card. If you are an ati card guy look for freesync monitors.. cheaper yet. 4K is still not worth it.. it takes a lot of hardware to push good refresh rates in 4K... like dual top of the line cards and top of the line with everything else too... like a $5K-$6K machine. You can do a great 1440p rig for $2K. That's why I have my doubts about xbox1x doing 4K.

I really want red dead 2 to be announced for PC soon... but not holding my breath... perhaps RockStar games made a deal with the console people to hold up until after the holidays.

Last edited:
4K is still not worth it.. it takes a lot of hardware to push good refresh rates in 4K... like dual top of the line cards and top of the line with everything else too... like a $5K-$6K machine. You can do a great 1440p rig for $2K. That's why I have my doubts about xbox1x doing 4K.

I was intending to get into 4k when I started card shopping a few months ago. I realized 4k gaming isn't ready for prime time really, and that's why I got a 580 as a placeholder for a couple years.

Even Nvidia's (reportedly) 4K ready RTX 2080 ti is a $1200 disaster. Cards are turning-up with problems all over the place. Hardforum tried doing a review of the card and the cards Nvidia sent kept failing one after another.

Reactions: okieKnight908
Not a console guy but have been itching to play Red Dead Redemption 2 from all I have seen about it.

So I looked up some info.. PS4Pro vs Xbox 1X... the 1X has better hardware.. PS5 likely coming next year. The next xbox in 2020..

1X is 4K ready.. but knowing how hard it is to get good performance on 4K games with a regular monitor.. not sure what to expect from the 1X. Am a PC guy.

Also read about that streaming only xbox.. no, it won't have as good hardware as 1X... but will be half the price.

Never going to PC = The Mighty Jingles - good man.

Red dead 2 is one of the best games I’ve ever played.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT