ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Sim racing

ouchmyknee

All Conference
Gold Member
Nov 10, 2006
Hoboken, NJ
So I bought myself a steering wheel, pedals, and a cheap f1 racing cockpit so I could drink lots of wine on thanksgiving and play f1 on Xbox series x all weekend. I gotta say it’s pretty dang fun and I can see why people get hooked and end up spending thousands of dollars on a sim racing setup. Anyone here ever try it?

This is cool to see someone on here post this. I am an iRacing Alpha tester (iRacing.com is considered to be the premier Motorsport simulation, especially NASCAR). During last year’s NASCAR season, Fox Sports wanted extra live TV content and put on a virtual NASCAR series on Wednesday nights on FS1 featuring the real NASCAR drivers at the upcoming tracks. I was Ryan Newman’s Crew Chief/spotter for it.

I got into it myself this year. Bought a direct drive wheel base, triple monitors, DIY wood cockpit, and now working on designing and 3D printing my own wheels.

I'm more of a casual player though. Mostly just drifting and cruising the more open tracks in Assetto Corsa on PC.

So I bought myself a steering wheel, pedals, and a cheap f1 racing cockpit so I could drink lots of wine on thanksgiving and play f1 on Xbox series x all weekend. I gotta say it’s pretty dang fun and I can see why people get hooked and end up spending thousands of dollars on a sim racing setup. Anyone here ever try it?
Now get an Occulus Quest 2.. Meta Quest 2.. and get, oh, i dunno... a decent PC and steam account the games Asseto Corsa and Dirt Rally 2 and let the PC drive the game into your headset.. you'll be sitting so it should be fine with a cable.

Now.. I don't have the whole driver setup.. and, quite frankly, I suck at it anyway.. but I can see the value. I do play a WWI and WWII VR flying game from time to time and dig those. I am always off-roading.. in the racing games (meaning, cannot stay on the road or course).

UPDATE: just read that Microsoft announced in October coming support for Quest2 and Xbox cloud gaming.. I do recommend a wired connection, if possible.

and, oh man, I see some real aficionados have answered already.. iRacing, eh? Hmmmm

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT