ADVERTISEMENT

No more Painter apologists

I’m done thinking Painter is such a great coach. He seems to run a clean program and appears to be a stand-up guy but losing to 13, 15, and 16 seeds in successive years is unprecedented.

His formula is simple. Find a Jon Koncak clone (e.g., Haas, Haarms, Edey) and surround him with the cast of “Hoosiers”.

Even when he had the occasional stand-out in Carsen Edwards, Ivey, and Trevion Williams, he couldn’t get over the hump. He needs to get out of the stone-age. It works for the in-league season, and early OOC since he can dominate with height before other teams have gelled, but it’s a recipe for underachievement.

Last edited:
I’m done thinking Painter is such a great coach. He seems to run a clean program and appears to be a stand-up guy but losing to 13, 15, and 16 seeds in successive years is unprecedented.

His formula is simple. Find a Jon Koncak clone (e.g., Haas, Haarms, Edey) and surround him with the cast of “Hoosiers”.

Even when he had the occasional stand-out in Carsen Edwards, Ivey, and Trevion Williams, he couldn’t get over the hump. He needs to get out of the stone-age. It works for the in-league season, and early OOC since he can dominate with height before other teams have gelled, but it’s a recipe for underachievement.
Very true that Painter is responsible, but I don’t see his name in the boxscore. Not a single player on FDU would crack the Purdue rotation this season. They had multiple D2 players out there and yet they were generating steals, getting loose balls and draining jump shots.

At some point the players need to be accountable for losing their composure and playing scared. When a physically small team like FDU can double team Edey and shut down Purdue’s ability to score I blame the Purdue players for coming up small, again.

Purdue should have brought in a bigtime 3 point shooter in the portal to compliment Edey with the constant double teams

Spencer would probably average 10 three point attempts a game on Purdue

I've thought for a while that Purdue wasn't a good bet for a deep run with those young guards. I mean we saw in the conference tournament how vulnerable they were against pressing teams. FDU probably walked on the court for the opening tip, looked around and said oh we're just going to out-athlete these guys. And they did.

Reactions: Knightmoves
I swear someone falsified the box score because I thought they shot 75% from 3, but the stupid box score somehow had them at 38%.
It was mainly from 2 that they couldn't miss but towards the end of the game it was from 3 as well.

Reactions: FastMJ
Edey didn't take a shot for the last 8 mins of the game and people really think it wasn't coaching.

Losing to North Texas, St. Peter's, and FDU 3 years in a row is a monumental coaching failure. How about you compare Purdue's recruiting classes to those 3 schools over the past few years.

Edey is the national player of the year and people are really saying Matt Painter had no talent.

RU should have beaten them in the B1G tourney.
Down 1 with 7 to go, 4 touch fouls in 4 seconds on Rutgers put Cliff on the bench - game over. Can’t have the big ten #1 seed losing to Rutgers. the big ten didn’t invite Rutgers to win. Will be getting worse when UCLA and USC join, moves Rutgers down two more slots for ncaa bids.

Edey is likely a second round draft pick, and there is still a place for players like him in the NBA, though he is certainly not the prototype. That said, he has been the best player in college basketball this year (it is a very different game from the pros), and today’s loss has little to do with him, Purdue didn’t get him the ball like they should have in the 2nd half.
Why they used him at the top of the key setting picks at the of the game is beyond me.

Edey didn't take a shot for the last 8 mins of the game and people really think it wasn't coaching.

Losing to North Texas, St. Peter's, and FDU 3 years in a row is a monumental coaching failure. How about you compare Purdue's recruiting classes to those 3 schools over the past few years.

Edey is the national player of the year and people are really saying Matt Painter had no talent.
How could he, he was setting picks out by the 3 pt line,crazy. get your ass under the basket and demand the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT