ADVERTISEMENT

OT: You Can't Make This Shit Up!

SantaFeScarlet

All American
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2001
So I'm at MVD Express in Santa Fe registering a new vehicle this morning. I walk outside to go to my car and couldn't believe my eyes, as I see an infant who can't walk left alone in a car. The windows were slightly ajar and the kid was in the driver's seat with his faced pressed into the window looking at where his mom had gone. Naturally, I call 911 and thankfully 2 patrol cars show up within a few minutes. They go get the idiot teenage mom out of MVD Express and then a Sgt also shows up. After talking with this idiot teen mom for 20 minutes or so, they let her take her baby into MVD Express.

I was not privy to the discussion between the 3 officers (and I'm a Huge Backer of the Blue) and the idiot teen mom so I'll hold off on any comment about their call to let her have her baby back. The poor kid.

Also, there were numerous others who went in and out of MVD Express and this idiot mom's car was right where you can't miss seeing it upon leaving. No other person thought of calling the police on this poor kid's behalf….WTF?!?!?

Thanks mom and dad in heaven for loving, caring for and guiding me and my 2 brothers properly through the early stages of our lives. Go hug your kids a little harder today on this poor kid's behalf.

Can the police actually take a baby away from a parent? I would think all they can do is issue them a ticket and then let the court handle it. Also, fortunately you were there and took action but why not go inside and ask for the parent instead of calling the police and having to wait for them to show up?

Reactions: TM94goRU and Jm0513
They could in their report recommended that a child welfare agency be notified. Being a Saturday, they were probably not available.

Reactions: TM94goRU
They could in their report recommended that a child welfare agency be notified. Being a Saturday, they were probably not available.
They work 24/7 no? She may be getting a visit at her house within 24hrs.
Be back with an answer from someone with a badge. I'm curious now.
***Answer for NJ was "I would call DCPP"

Last edited:
Reactions: goru1869
Can the police actually take a baby away from a parent? I would think all they can do is issue them a ticket and then let the court handle it. Also, fortunately you were there and took action but why not go inside and ask for the parent instead of calling the police and having to wait for them to show up?
Because if I went in and called her out, she most likely would have got in her vehicle and fled the scene. I'm not going to block her from leaving in a new Acura MDX when she was in a rent a wreck. The cops were there within a few minutes. My responsibility is to notify 911, which I did.

I had the unfortunate experience of witnessing what happened to a beautiful German shepherd that was left by some jerk in a car when I was a young kid , believe me you did the right thing.

Something similar happened at my office parking lot, which is tenant parking only except that free riders try to use spots when they go to a nearby Starbucks. One of the real estate agents on the floor below raises show dogs and brought out a cup of cool water the dog could lick through a small opening as she called 911. Police in 2 minutes, animal control in 10 and they were about to call a locksmith when the owner showed up. I think the various violations cost him somewhere between $150. and $200.

God bless the OP for taking this action. Pray for the child. We can never assume others will do what needs to be done, so good people have to respond.

They can’t but they could hold her and the baby, and contact child welfare to do that.

Reactions: Jm0513
You could have walked inside and shouted.. WHO left a baby in their car!? Go get him I'll save your place in line.

The child will never know that she has you to thank for NOT (possibly) dying in that car. Of course, you didn’t do it for the recognition, just amazing what a difference a well-placed individual can make.

Reactions: MADHAT1
In a situation where a child’s well-being is at risk like that, I am 100% supportive of calling the police.

As for going in the store and confronting the parent, think about it for a minute. What’s the likelihood that a person who’d leave their infant in a car like that is operating with a full deck? Plus, people get super annoyed super quick when other people interfere with their parenting. Be real easy to wind up in a fight, which, while potentially satisfying, ain’t doing the poor kid any favors.

In a situation where a child’s well-being is at risk like that, I am 100% supportive of calling the police.

As for going in the store and confronting the parent, think about it for a minute. What’s the likelihood that a person who’d leave their infant in a car like that is operating with a full deck? Plus, people get super annoyed super quick when other people interfere with their parenting. Be real easy to wind up in a fight, which, while potentially satisfying, ain’t doing the poor kid any favors.
Yep, and people seem just a tad bit edgier these days.

Also getting dressed down by 3 police officers and told of the possible or impending legal consequences should have a more lasting impact.

You could have walked inside and shouted.. WHO left a baby in their car!? Go get him I'll save your place in line.
I have 5.5 weeks left with my 18 year old son at home before we take him to St. Louis University where he's going to be a professional pilot. I want to spend and cherish every last day he's still at home and the week my wife take him to SLU. He's going to stay over the summers in St. Lois to accrue his flight hours more quickly so once he's gone, he's gone.

Anyone who is stupid enough to leave their kid in a car, is stupid enough to carry an illegal weapon and I was not going to risk my life and relationship with my boy and wife over some idiot parent.

Only punks carry and use illegal weapons and this parent is obviously a punk.

To put it in Jersey terms...my kid means more to me than this idiot mom's kid!

I did exactly what I needed to do!

Thank you SantaFe Scarlet.
You did that infant a favor by being aware enough that the child needed help and you made sure help arrived before anything bad could happen.
Hopefully your action will help the young mother realize her mistake and not doing oit again after being confronted by the police over her gross neligence in leaving her infant in car.
Or at least by calling the police and have them get the mothers information, social services will be checking ( hopefully) that mother's ability to keep her child safe and act on it if they feel the mother is unfit.
You did great by doing the right think when you see a child in need.

I have 5.5 weeks left with my 18 year old son at home before we take him to St. Louis University where he's going to be a professional pilot. I want to spend and cherish every last day he's still at home and the week my wife take him to SLU. He's going to stay over the summers in St. Lois to accrue his flight hours more quickly so once he's gone, he's gone.

Anyone who is stupid enough to leave their kid in a car, is stupid enough to carry an illegal weapon and I was not going to risk my life and relationship with my boy and wife over some idiot parent.

Only punks carry and use illegal weapons and this parent is obviously a punk.

To put it in Jersey terms...my kid means more to me than this idiot mom's kid!

I did exactly what I needed to do!

No worries. You're winning by a larger margin than Reagan beat Mondale and Johnson beat Goldwater.

No worries. You're winning by a larger margin than Reagan beat Mondale and Johnson beat Goldwater.
So you're telling me I'm all over his shit like white on rice, cats on mice, cold on ice and dots on dice? :chairshot:

Reactions: mdk01
My neighbor broke the window of a car in the Kohl's parking lot to get a kid out.
Would that be the one in Howell, where the Hasidic left her kid in the car? If he didn't do it when he did, I heard the kid would have been dead. That's how long she left the kid in the car.

So I'm at MVD Express in Santa Fe registering a new vehicle this morning. I walk outside to go to my car and couldn't believe my eyes, as I see an infant who can't walk left alone in a car. The windows were slightly ajar and the kid was in the driver's seat with his faced pressed into the window looking at where his mom had gone. Naturally, I call 911 and thankfully 2 patrol cars show up within a few minutes. They go get the idiot teenage mom out of MVD Express and then a Sgt also shows up. After talking with this idiot teen mom for 20 minutes or so, they let her take her baby into MVD Express.

I was not privy to the discussion between the 3 officers (and I'm a Huge Backer of the Blue) and the idiot teen mom so I'll hold off on any comment about their call to let her have her baby back. The poor kid.

Also, there were numerous others who went in and out of MVD Express and this idiot mom's car was right where you can't miss seeing it upon leaving. No other person thought of calling the police on this poor kid's behalf….WTF?!?!?

Thanks mom and dad in heaven for loving, caring for and guiding me and my 2 brothers properly through the early stages of our lives. Go hug your kids a little harder today on this poor kid's behalf.
Well done.

I was unaware that St. Louis University had its own airline.
SLU has a top rated 4 year pilot program through their Parks College and students have the option to stay over the summers and winter break and fly to more quickly accrue their flight hours and certifications.

Most 4 year Flight Universities offer their students that option.

Troy is on the fast track to fly for Envoy and American Airlines, as he and I met this past Tuesday with top players at Envoy Airlines' Headquarters in Dallas. Envoy is American Airlines largest owned regional carrier and they fly as American Eagle. The meetings went great and they allowed Troy to fly a Embraer-175 simulator (sim) and he knocked it out. Their senior training pilot was so impressed that he let Troy fly the entire time with some guidance and he stated that he assumed he was going to fly the sim and not Troy.

Their Director of Flight Training spent 2+ hours with Troy and stated when Troy is properly certified he's coming to St. Louis to fly with him. He treated Trot like his son....it was awesome! The 2 of them have been communicating since February when Troy took the initiative and reached out to him and they had a Zoom meeting in March which went so well and that was when Troy was invited to visit their HQ this summer. He also met with their Director of Pilot Recruitment.

Troy's goal is to be an Envoy First Officer (FO) by 23, an American Airlines FO by 25 and flying the 787 Dreamliner internationally for American as a FO by 28.

So no SLU doesn't have a airline, but Troy is on the fast track to Envoy and American.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: rubaseball78
Seems like some people have kids just for the child tax credit and other benefits. Now with the trillions in stimulus being thrown around like monopoly money. Probably going to see more kids born as mini ATM’s

The child will never know that she has you to thank for NOT (possibly) dying in that car. Of course, you didn’t do it for the recognition, just amazing what a difference a well-placed individual can make.

I truly believe that certain people are placed in certain places at certain times for a reason. Sometimes guardian angels don't have wings.

Great job @SantaFeScarlet !!!!!

Reactions: anon_ivydyf0amkzay
Seems like some people have kids just for the child tax credit and other benefits. Now with the trillions in stimulus being thrown around like monopoly money. Probably going to see more kids born as mini ATM’s
Money is not an issue here but I'm sure that this nitwit's kids will all grow up well balanced. Throw in the ridiculous names that he gave them all as another factor.
I know, I'm not supposed to be judgemental.....but I am.

Good job Bud. You stepped up and got involved where others might not have.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT