ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Your Favorite Neighborhood Bar in NJ

Red Bank - the Globe Hotel. I saw this mentioned earlier and agree the dive atmosphere is appealing.

Sea Bright - Mad Hatter. Also dive like and best avoided late but can watch games and enjoy the atmosphere

Rumson - Barnacle Bill's. Great view but it gets points off though since they got rid of the peanuts years ago. I'd rather go around the corner to the speakeasy inspired......(not sharing this hidden gem). Also, shout out to the retired Hook Line & Sinker which would make my list if still around.

Highlands - a lot of the highlands flavor that made the bar scene so great is missing now. Off the Hook is still a good spot with a great view. The old Wind and Sea would have gotten my vote here and the new Proving Ground that took over still is on the water looking out at Sandy Hook. They have sports on but is a bit fancier and more expensive. Worth checking out for sure but not the perfect vibe for a game.
Mad Hatter has been closed since Sandy.

Reactions: TheKnightclub
I don’t think they shoot off any pyrotechnics down there so u should be okay.
I grew up near that nightclub. Knew several victims. My dad represented the building's owner in the lawsuits that followed the tragedy. As a % of state population, the fire was more deadly to Rhode Island than 9/11 WTC to New Jersey and New York.

To this day, I get nervous in small venues, and try to stay near an exit.

Reactions: RUaMoose
I grew up near that nightclub. Knew several victims. My dad represented the building's owner in the lawsuits that followed the tragedy. As a % of state population, the fire was more deadly to Rhode Island than 9/11 WTC to New Jersey and New York.

To this day, I get nervous in small venues, and try to stay near an exit.
Killer Show by John Barylick is a good read.

Ellery's in Middlesex was always a great spot
Rosina's in Bound Book was solid
Central Pizza in Somerville
Uncle Vinny's in Raritan
Crayn's in Branchburg (Now Willy McBrides)
Green Knoll in Bridgewater
Also a spot in Warren while going down the mountain towards N. Plainfield, name escapes me but it was good

Rolf's?????

Reactions: megadrone
Rolf's has been closed for a long time. Further up Stirling Road is Bar Cilento. Has very good food, solid taps and good for sports viewing. It's the spot where Barton's Pub used to be.

Rolf's has been closed for a long time. Further up Stirling Road is Bar Cilento. Has very good food, solid taps and good for sports viewing. It's the spot where Barton's Pub used to be.
Bar Cilento/Barton's is what I thought too...I thought Rolf's was more of a sit down restaurant.

There was another small bar further up Valley Road in Gillette -- right side of the road if traveling east. Pool table, darts, etc. I don't know if they served pub grup or had a kitchen but was in there a few times in my younger days.

Ate there after covid, it was awful. Didn’t go back for about 18 months. Went last week for lunch, it was phenomenal. So mad I waited to go back, should have known every place has a bad day. Was there 3 nights a week for years in my 20’s. Sucks it’s closing.
Wait wut? Tiger's Tale is closing?!? My only gripe with the place was every meal we had there took for ever for the food to arrive.

EDIT: Nvm, just read RU Golfer's response. Good to hear.

Bar Cilento/Barton's is what I thought too...I thought Rolf's was more of a sit down restaurant.

There was another small bar further up Valley Road in Gillette -- right side of the road if traveling east. Pool table, darts, etc. I don't know if they served pub grup or had a kitchen but was in there a few times in my younger days.
You’re probably thinking of Orphan Annie’s. That’s been closed for many years, it’s now a very successful Greek restaurant. Bar Cilento is a great success story. Was close to closing during the pandemic, shortly after it opened, but is absolutely killing it now. Great food and drinks, and owned by a local family.

You’re probably thinking of Orphan Annie’s. That’s been closed for many years, it’s now a very successful Greek restaurant. Bar Cilento is a great success story. Was close to closing during the pandemic, shortly after it opened, but is absolutely killing it now. Great food and drinks, and owned by a local family.
Orphan Annie's was heading west just past the Shop Rite (if I recall). There was another smaller place heading toward Berkeley Heights (corner of Mountain Ave and Valley Road). I don't even know if they had a kitchen! Basic bar with darts and a pool table.

Bellos Pub in Newark, very close to Newark Penn Station, is a good bar with pretty good food

I’m pretty sure the main manager is a RU guy too.

If you’re taking the train to the game tomorrow, stop in and give it a try .

Last edited:
Orphan Annie's was heading west just past the Shop Rite (if I recall). There was another smaller place heading toward Berkeley Heights (corner of Mountain Ave and Valley Road). I don't even know if they had a kitchen! Basic bar with darts and a pool table.
I know the place you’re thinking of. Right next to what used to be a Stewart’s. That place has been closed for over twenty years. It’s now a hair salon. But every town needs a basic bar with pool and darts!!

Reactions: megadrone
The Idle Hour?

I know we're not supposed to mention chains, but while I've never had a drink (besides iced tea) there, the food at the Chimney Rock Inn in Bridgewater (couple miles from 287 and Route 22E) has been reliably very good for years. Pub food and pizzas.

One caveat, though, is that I almost always get a burger there, and the homemade mac and cheese. But others have been more adventurous and always seem to enjoy their meals, too.

it's closing? when?
Soon supposedly. They sold the land to Wawa. There is a rumor they will move to the new shopping center further south by the airport, but I personally havent been told that’s true. Time will tell.

Going with a few South Jersey, non-shore locations:
Ott's Tavern - Delran (Ott's Medford was mentioned above and I think there are 3 or 4 Ott's in total but I wouldn't consider it a chain - much more neighborhood hang out feel)
Whistler's Inn - Cinnaminson
5 West - Palmyra
Jay's Elbow Room - Maple Shade
Pic-A-Lilli - Shamong on route 206
Rocco's Townhouse - Hammonton
The Jug Handle - Cinnaminson
Ark Brewery - Lumberton

Reactions: Knightmoves
Soon supposedly. They sold the land to Wawa. There is a rumor they will move to the new shopping center further south by the airport, but I personally havent been told that’s true. Time will tell.
I don't think they are. They are promised square footage for multiple restaurants to the McLoone's group so why would they allow a competitor in there like Tiger's Tale?

Reactions: JRZEER
I don't think they are. They are promised square footage for multiple restaurants to the McLoone's group so why would they allow a competitor in there like Tiger's Tale?
I wondered same thing. The owner of the TT had multiple restaurants and I believe they may have sold the other two as well. The old county line inn further north on 206 would be a good spot, but if I remember correctly the parking was limited there.

Reactions: Zak57
I wondered same thing. The owner of the TT had multiple restaurants and I believe they may have sold the other two as well. The old county line inn further north on 206 would be a good spot, but if I remember correctly the parking was limited there.
What else did/do they own?

I prefer Tony's Baltimore
No longer a "bar" as they have extremely limited hours (4:30pm-9:30pm) but they still have a bar. In a very quiet, safe section of Ducktown there's Angelo's Fairmount Tavern. The best Italian food in A.C., concentrate on the reviews post pandemic as they have really upped their game.

No longer a "bar" as they have extremely limited hours (4:30pm-9:30pm) but they still have a bar. In a very quiet, safe section of Ducktown there's Angelo's Fairmount Tavern. The best Italian food in A.C., concentrate on the reviews post pandemic as they have really upped their game.

I preferred Angeloni's until they closed.

I preferred Angeloni's until they closed.
Have you've been to Angelo's Fairmont in the past 2 years? They've gone from very good to great. I'm guessing some youth was injected into their kitchen after the pandemic. That's when they changed their hours dramatically so the focus is entirely on the food.
It used to be a very fun afternoon bar on hot summer day.

When did they cut the hours? I usually stop there every trip down. Last time down was there early but previous to that was there around midnight but maybe 10-12 months ago. Bummer.

My first time to Angelo's over the summer was great food. They really cram the tables in though if you need space might not like it. Bar area looks crowded always with those waiting for their table.

When did they cut the hours? I usually stop there every trip down. Last time down was there early but previous to that was there around midnight but maybe 10-12 months ago. Bummer.
I used to love watching afternoon Yankees games there in the summer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT