ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Youth Basketball Advice

Eagleton96

All American
Jul 25, 2001
So my 9 year old is tearing up his local rec league scoring 20 points a game (he didn't get that from me haha!). What's the next step? I don't want to dedicate my life, or his life, to this. But I would like to get him some better coaching and competition. I'm not familiar with the hoops youth sports world. What are the options? I live in Highland Park. Any advice welcome.

1) Take him to Geo Baker workouts up in Woodbridge. Tons of skill work. Geo/Caleb/Krish are all awesome.

2) Get him on an AAU team for the Spring if he's not playing other sports. If he is then your Geo stuff will be enough (esp if you aren't looking for it to run your life).

So my 9 year old is tearing up his local rec league scoring 20 points a game (he didn't get that from me haha!). What's the next step? I don't want to dedicate my life, or his life, to this. But I would like to get him some better coaching and competition. I'm not familiar with the hoops youth sports world. What are the options? I live in Highland Park. Any advice welcome.
Is there a travel league in your town? There is also club teams through places like Hoop Heaven in Bridgewater https://hoopheavenbridgewater.leagueapps.com/leagues as well as skill development programs like Hoops America https://www.ushoops.com/. Just some of the options out there.

Reactions: RU205
1) Take him to Geo Baker workouts up in Woodbridge. Tons of skill work. Geo/Caleb/Krish are all awesome.

2) Get him on an AAU team for the Spring if he's not playing other sports. If he is then your Geo stuff will be enough (esp if you aren't looking for it to run your life).
Thanks. He's trying to quit baseball, but I'm not letting him...yet.

It doesn't say what age ranges for the GB classes. I emailed them using the form for more info.

I have a similar situation (11 year old and 8 year old players). I have been coaching for the past 5 years at low/middle levels so I’ve been exposed to a lot of options. Some people may disagree but here are a few of my “musts” for younger ages… 1) keep it fun. If pushed too hard too early, he will start to hate it. Some kids want to be pushed but they are few and far between. Make sure you mix in a lot of fun 2) skill development is most important. Some parents want their kids to play AAU to say they play AAU. Most of those kids need to develop skills. It doesn’t need to be crazy stuff. Fundamentals, ball handling and shooting form at a minimum. Make sure whatever program you join is only focused on skill development and practices those skills way more than playing league or tournament games. Regular high level competition can wait until older ages. 3) when you do find a team, look for one that focuses on team concepts and uses positive reinforcement (in addition to skills development). There is no reason play 1v1 or 2v2 with 5 players on the court. Only the top 1-2 players get action and everyone else watches. When he gets older, the coach will need to win games so there may some iso, but at younger ages its the coaches responsibility is to develop everyone they choose to keep. Good luck.

Reactions: Eagleton96
Hoops America or Marston Athletics (they run their skill sessions out of the Green Street Gym in Woodbridge) are both good training programs. Hoops has been arounf since the late 80's and Marston since 2010

I have a similar situation (11 year old and 8 year old players). I have been coaching for the past 5 years at low/middle levels so I’ve been exposed to a lot of options. Some people may disagree but here are a few of my “musts” for younger ages… 1) keep it fun. If pushed too hard too early, he will start to hate it. Some kids want to be pushed but they are few and far between. Make sure you mix in a lot of fun 2) skill development is most important. Some parents want their kids to play AAU to say they play AAU. Most of those kids need to develop skills. It doesn’t need to be crazy stuff. Fundamentals, ball handling and shooting form at a minimum. Make sure whatever program you join is only focused on skill development and practices those skills way more than playing league or tournament games. Regular high level competition can wait until older ages. 3) when you do find a team, look for one that focuses on team concepts and uses positive reinforcement (in addition to skills development). There is no reason play 1v1 or 2v2 with 5 players on the court. Only the top 1-2 players get action and everyone else watches. When he gets older, the coach will need to win games so there may some iso, but at younger ages its the coaches responsibility is to develop everyone they choose to keep. Good luck.
Great stuff. Thank you!

Reactions: needmorecowbell
Be careful with the AAU circuit. There are some very good programs and some that are not. Geno Auriemma talks about AAU and is spot on. Something to the effect of kids showing up just for games, no practices etc and how that is ruining youth sports.
At 8,9, 10, 11 years old etc there HAS to be an emphasis on practice. Games are great, but practices with a good coach is imperative.
My son played AAU through Hoop Heaven in Bridgewater at an older age than your son and I thought it was good. They played in a league with similar skill level, but it was only 1 game a week, occassionally 2 and a few tournaments in Madison (i think), Tinton Falls, and at Hoop Group (Mike Rice is there now), and one weekend at Spooky Nook in PA (unbelievable facility!).
For my son, it was definitely the right skill level.

If the AAU team is bringing in kids on the weekend for a tournament, its not a good team to be a part of.

I went through this about a decade ago, but you got some excellent advice from cowbell here and also from RU84 and phlop87. I personally recommend US Hoops for larger group workouts. For more personal ones I cannot recommend Q James more highly. Also JRR Hoops is very, very good. I also stress skill development and fun are more important than games at this point, but sure you need to play. Just make sure the coach is positive and team play is reinforced. Good luck, wish you all the best. One more thing, enjoy the time too, especially the car rides getting him to and fro. They end too fast!

9 yo rec prowess is not an indicator of talent or promise. kids develop physically at different rates, and many kids with no ability or interest are on rec teams because their parents want a break from them a few hours a week. Let him continue to enjoy the rec game with his friends and baby step increase his skill by having him do drills for 30 minutes on a weekend day every week In a park. Then go to White Rose to bond around basketball.

dont bother with trainers or travel clubs at this age. they just want your money, a lot of it. Don’t go all in. He’s much too young

If you do feel strongly about getting him involved in higher level play….find a nearby town with a travel program next winter. They usually accept kids whose towns don’t have such teams of their own. Bound Brook and Bridgewater have travel teams. I’m sure other towns near you do as well.

Hoops America or Marston Athletics (they run their skill sessions out of the Green Street Gym in Woodbridge) are both good training programs. Hoops has been arounf since the late 80's and Marston since 2010

I played pickup basketball at Green Street on the third floor for years. And lifted and drank at the bar there for years.

9 yo rec prowess is not an indicator of talent or promise. kids develop physically at different rates, and many kids with no ability or interest are on rec teams because their parents want a break from them a few hours a week. Let him continue to enjoy the rec game with his friends and baby step increase his skill by having him do drills for 30 minutes on a weekend day every week In a park. Then go to White Rose to bond around basketball.

dont bother with trainers or travel clubs at this age. they just want your money, a lot of it. Don’t go all in. He’s much too young

If you do feel strongly about getting him involved in higher level play….find a nearby town with a travel program next winter. They usually accept kids whose towns don’t have such teams of their own. Bound Brook and Bridgewater have travel teams. I’m sure other towns near you do as well.
Now THIS I Like a lot.

Reactions: newell138
Keep him away from Pike (haha ..kidding).

Pete (Marston) has good workouts. he can be little tough to follow in regards to options of "small workout" vs "big workout" vs "Point Guard class" etc, but just reach out to him and see what options he has. usually multiple days per week to choose from on Green St or at Union Catholic.

Hoops America also gives you flex type schedule were you sign up for say dozen sessions and you have couple months to use them, with multiple days where you can go. usually at Timothy Christian school gym.

neither Pete nor Hoops America is a bargain.

there are tons of watered down AAU programs all over. (Hoops America has teams also), it's just a pain the ass finding something decent. usually the guy in charge of the club is a good coach, and the other coaches are so so or worse. and with boys that age you get a ton of selfish play, so need a coach that knows how to discourage it.

At age 9 to be honest i think i would pass on AAU team unless he's really obsessed with basketball, and hit some clinics weekly.

As someone who spent a LOT of time coaching youth basketball from kids age 10-15, there is a lot of very good advise here .

For the next couple of years , keep it fun, and make it about skill development

From my experience , the time to initially see where he is at is when he is going into 6th grade .
If he is really head and shoulders above the kids in the rec league and not because he was taught how to play early (that will even out when it gets competitive ) and because of a physical maturity advantage (and be OBJECTIVE on both of these points )….then get him to try out for a travel team and see where they land

Maybe 5th grade, no earlier.

As a cautionary talk that worked out …I’ll tell you my youngest son turned some beads in 5th grade as a ball handler and couple of coaches asked him to try out for real competitive leagues under 12 leagues, even though he was so small for his age . I knew better …and glad to let those opportunities pass

He still can game and would be on the JV team in high school and be a varsity kid next year (even though at 5’9”) …but he found his first and true love in cross country later on , and was a varsity runner on the Pennsylvania state XC champions this fall that finished 7th as a team in the northeast region and just missed nationals…and , can probably run at the D2 or D3 level in college.

Point I’m making above is that he never woukd have experienced any of that if I didn’t let him, as he was older , chase HIS path ….he probably would have never given XC a chance …even though his ol’ man deep down would have loved him to play sone high school ball instead (he runs indoor and outdoor track to train). And he still loves getting some burn with the varisty guys on the side …..and hoops it up as much as he can

Keep it fun…they are STILL KIDS

@ru-dio we have probably crossed paths then ... Played there for years when it first opened up. About 2 years ago started playing there again (actually heading over in a few minutes to play)

Geo also doing clinics at St. Joes in Metuchen on Sunday - very affordable!

Also Express Hoops at St. Joseph's in Metuchen is pretty good - run by the assistant coach for St. Joes.....

I don't think the website is working anymore - anyway good program and most games are at home. Just search Express Hoops NJ on Facebook.

What about for girls (11)? Anything near Summit?
The best guy in your area for girls is Phil Cronin. (CC Basketball AAU program). I don't know if he has clinics or just runs the club. They practice at New Providence HS.
Their 17u team is very good (Chatham/New Providence girls).

Reactions: jtung230
My 9 year old plays travel out of Bound Brook, and we take kids from other towns. Our team could use some talent....badly.

• Haha
Reactions: jtung230
This is a great age to instill a strong foundation of fundamentals, beyond just his ability to score.

For offense, have him practice dribbling and driving (eyes forward, not staring down at the ball) with his weaker hand. Also, he should understand the importance of using his pivot as needed when he first receives the ball.

On defense, have it ingrained in him to play D by moving his feet laterally, and especially at this age, make sure he is diligent in cutting his man off at the baseline (again, by moving his feet laterally).

Lastly, on both ends of the court, have him make it a habit to box out his man first, before going for (or jumping for) the rebound.

Oh the JBL.... Have things settled down there? I coached my sons team for several years (pre covid) and there was a big divide in the process.

Always great playing teams with kids two years older than ours... (nope).

My 9 year old plays travel out of Bound Brook, and we take kids from other towns. Our team could use some talent....badly.
Are you offering immediate playing time or guarantee a starting spot as recruiting pitch?

Oh the JBL.... Have things settled down there? I coached my sons team for several years (pre covid) and there was a big divide in the process.

I think Mitch brought multiple leagues and most regional towns together under one umbrella (JBL) so it should be all good now.

I think Mitch brought multiple leagues and most regional towns together under one umbrella (JBL) so it should be all good now.
Mitch and John Z were the ones who started JBL, it was really formed because Garden State folded when Jimmy moved to Florida (I believe he passed away) so there was a massive void

Personally, I thought they got too big too quick and that stunted the potential growth, but that’s just my opinion

I coached my kids in the Garden St League until it folded then transitioned to the JBL. Has NIL hit the JBL yet?

Reactions: toby83

There are bunch of things I don’t like about JBL, lol. But the competition is very good and the travel isn’t bad.

There are bunch of things I don’t like about JBL, lol. But the competition is very good and the travel isn’t bad.
They were smart in how they set up the divisions, the downside of Garden State was at the travel to other towns was usually pretty long. JBL is much better in that regard.

Glad to hear the travel isn’t bad. The main reason we did rec only this year. Does JBL go by birthdays or grades? My daughter is in the s 6th grade but there are 5th graders older than her.

JBL was always by grade in years past, I thought it was great, travel was easy/close

Where had gotten hairy in recent years (I've heard) is when towns don't have enough to field team so they combine with kids +1 and - 1 grade. Obviously issue would be playing a team with few big kids who are a year older than kids on the other team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT