ADVERTISEMENT

OT: YouTube TV multiview streaming coming soon

rutgersguy1

Hall of Famer
Dec 17, 2008
I've mentioned this in the past and looks like it's finally rolling out for select subscribers at first and then everyone in the coming months. Nice feature for sports.

Reactions: biker7766
Quick lookup on best buy and I see 70" tvs from 480-600 but brands like Vizio, Hisense, Insignia. There were a couple LGs at the higher end of that range.
That's what I was seeing, even at BJs and Amazon. If there was a $400 70 inch TV that wasn't a refurb or complete trash, I was interested.

I've mentioned this in the past and looks like it's finally rolling out for select subscribers at first and then everyone in the coming months. Nice feature for sports.

Just in time for the 12.3% price increase announced today.
Just like cable now they continue to add things and jack up the base price vs. making it a menu item. Was just $35 a few years ago now more than double in a few years.

"We have an important update for our members. After nearly 3 years, we’re adjusting our monthly price from $64.99/month to $72.99/month. As content costs have risen and we continue to invest in the quality of our service, we are updating our price to keep bringing you the best possible service."

With regard to their price drop in 4K service that was already in place because nobody was buying it and experts argued it should have been part of the base steaming price. Many Folks were getting it for free.

Just like cable now they continue to add things and jack up the base price vs. making it a menu item. Was just $35 a few years ago now more than double in a few years.

"We have an important update for our members. After nearly 3 years, we’re adjusting our monthly price from $64.99/month to $72.99/month. As content costs have risen and we continue to invest in the quality of our service, we are updating our price to keep bringing you the best possible service."

With regard to their price drop in 4K service that was already in place because nobody was buying it and experts argued it should have been part of the base steaming price. Many Folks were getting it for free.
It was always going to be like cable eventually and I said as much years back when “cord cutting” started but many don’t really cut the cord. Streaming services and live streaming services all go up in price and ads are creeping into them too. Same as cable.

Everything goes up that’s just the way it is. One thing I like about YouTube Tv is I’m not paying monthly fee for multiple cable boxes.

It was always going to be like cable eventually and I said as much years back when “cord cutting” started but many don’t really cut the cord. Streaming services and live streaming services all go up in price and ads are creeping into them too. Same as cable.

Everything goes up that’s just the way it is. One thing I like about YouTube Tv is I’m not paying monthly fee for multiple cable boxes.
oh it's still much better and we share the service 3 ways so super cheap..and if you opt in for the 4k you get unlimited number of devices/streams.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
This is for gamblers
Normal people don't watch games choopped-up into mall security camera arrays
I saw on SEC and B1G channels that there is an option to watch games in 1/2 of screen while all the gambling stats are in the other 1/2
Youtube TV is already makes it possible to open a bunch of browsers with different games

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
This is for gamblers
Normal people don't watch games choopped-up into mall security camera arrays
I saw on SEC and B1G channels that there is an option to watch games in 1/2 of screen while all the gambling stats are in the other 1/2
Youtube TV is already makes it possible to open a bunch of browsers with different games
I don’t gamble but I flip around constantly during CFB season and usually have two games on between my iPad and tv in the room.

In theory, it sounds good for someone like me but I wonder if 4 will be too much overload in practice lol.

🤣
Was just going to post the same thing, and not a word about the multiview streaming option, which they will probably charge an additional $29.95 per month.

Reactions: RU Golfer
I don’t gamble but I flip around constantly during CFB season and usually have two games on between my iPad and tv in the room.

In theory, it sounds good for someone like me but I wonder if 4 will be too much overload in practice lol.

I long ago gave-up on picture in picture because when I watch two things at once I end-up watching nothing
Now I have a dual monitor and a couple of Amazon 10 tablets.
I watch main game on TV with sound and I set the tablets near me with sound off
I end-up legit watching one game and keeping an eye on the others - which can include my second monitor.
Game look really nice on IPS monitors (more colors)

I believe YT dropped MLB .
YTTV is a good service but aside from sports there's little worth it unless people need the kiddie stuff.
I watch Smithsonian now and then.
All the breaking news, disasters, speeches etc can be found online.
I don't do TV news but that can be found too.
I usually just cancel for spring/summer and re-up in September

Reactions: rubigtimenow
The 4 screen feed just dropped on my feed a minute ago. 10pm. Interesting.
It's actually damn cool for skipping between the 4 broadcasts. No more need to back to main menu. Just back one and choose the box

• Love
Reactions: rubigtimenow
It's actually damn cool for skipping between the 4 broadcasts. No more need to back to main menu. Just back one and choose the box
You don’t need to go back to main menu, I just visit all the channels that carry the games then it’s in my last watched history.
After that you can just press down button twice and all the tiles for the games are there to choose from and switch around.

You don’t need to go back to main menu, I just visit all the channels that carry the games then it’s in my last watched history.
After that you can just press down button twice and all the tiles for the games are there to choose from and switch around.
when I said main I meant HOME screen. That's just a click BACK. My Apple remote doesn't have a down button. you scroll with the touch pad. But I think we're saying the same thing.

when I said main I meant HOME screen. That's just a click BACK. My Apple remote doesn't have a down button. you scroll with the touch pad. But I think we're saying the same thing.
Oh I gotcha. I hate that track pad remote lol. I had to buy the silver one with the circular button in the middle. I always had issues with the track pad navigating regardless of how I set the sensitivity.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Oh I gotcha. I hate that track pad remote lol. I had to buy the silver one with the circular button in the middle. I always had issues with the track pad navigating regardless of how I set the sensitivity.
I highly recommend Roku. Fantastic remote. Better app availability. What would be fantastic is a Roku or TV that permitted multiscreen view of multiple apps at once.

Reactions: ldwnmas
It's funny. I prefer the older one (black). My wife prefers the new (silver) one. I thought I would like the silver one but it's not as touch sensitive. The black one you could slide your finger on the right edge to scroll through menus faster and was less confusing to advance/rewind X seconds (click near left or right edge).

I highly recommend Roku. Fantastic remote. Better app availability. What would be fantastic is a Roku or TV that permitted multiscreen view of multiple apps at once.
I have Roku, Firestick, AppleTV and Verizon Stream on all my TV's in the house. I much prefer the AppleTV/remotes. It's not even close. They are so much quicker. More expensive but the Firestick and Roku's all start to die after 3 years. I guess you get what you pay for.

Yea I had it yesterday too and it wasn’t bad. It was nice to flip around on the big tv and it was still good on a smaller tv as well. You could flip the sound to which ever box was highlighted and then zoom to any particular game if you wanted.

I still can’t pay attention to 4 games but is something I could envision using at times just to see what’s going on in other games and flipping around if game circumstances dictate.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Yea I had it yesterday too and it wasn’t bad. It was nice to flip around on the big tv and it was still good on a smaller tv as well. You could flip the sound to which ever box was highlighted and then zoom to any particular game if you wanted.

I still can’t pay attention to 4 games but is something I could envision using at times just to see what’s going on in other games and flipping around if game circumstances dictate.
The only thing they are offering on my TV is "NCAAW Basketball Multiview." How Google of them.

100%

I have Roku, Firestick, AppleTV and Verizon Stream on all my TV's in the house. I much prefer the AppleTV/remotes. It's not even close. They are so much quicker. More expensive but the Firestick and Roku's all start to die after 3 years. I guess you get what you pay for.
I have Roku and Apple and I also like the apple. Ppl Lys you just change it via USB vs. batteries.
My older Roku doesn't have a volume control either.

I have Roku and Apple and I also like the apple. Ppl Lys you just change it via USB vs. batteries.
My older Roku doesn't have a volume control either.
No pun intended, but are we comparing Apples and Oranges?

We have the Roku Ultra, and it is very fast. It retails for $99. The Amazon stuff is crap and loaded with bloatware. I'm willing to try AppleTV, but with Roku Ultra, we have been very pleased.

No pun intended, but are we comparing Apples and Oranges?

We have the Roku Ultra, and it is very fast. It retails for $99. The Amazon stuff is crap and loaded with bloatware. I'm willing to try AppleTV, but with Roku Ultra, we have been very pleased.
I don't have apple tv. Just the box and remote. I paid like $75 for that and only about $35 for my Roku box and remote.

I'm talking about the hardware except for the CV comments on YTTVs new split screen broadcast.

I'm watching the 2 feed split screen of the Kansas ending and Princeton game. Never do this but this is pretty effective. .

Hmmm "It was always going to be like cable eventually" and "I’m not paying monthly fee for multiple cable boxes" seems like just another thing that will create added fees for streamers in the near future.

Hmmm "It was always going to be like cable eventually" and "I’m not paying monthly fee for multiple cable boxes" seems like just another thing that will create added fees for streamers in the near future.
It's possible but I wouldn't be so sure. My point was more about bundling still being part of the equation, prices going up and services like YouTube tv that are pseudo cable in their appearance etc...

As far as cable boxes and having similar fees, well I look at it like this. Cable boxes are like "legacy revenue" for the Comcasts, Time Warners, etc..so when they've been hooked on it for so long and getting 100s of millions off it, they're not going to just give it up.

But for YouTube TV, it's not Google's main biz and they've never had revenue from it to be addicted to and then have to stop. The cable box functionality is basically is either part of the tv or streaming device like AppleTV, Firestick, Roku (one time cost not monthly) etc... I can see price raises like the recent one and fees for things like 4K or maybe this multiview functionality but I don't know about fees that are similar to a cable box fee.

It's possible but I wouldn't be so sure. My point was more about bundling still being part of the equation, prices going up and services like YouTube tv that are pseudo cable in their appearance etc...

As far as cable boxes and having similar fees, well I look at it like this. Cable boxes are like "legacy revenue" for the Comcasts, Time Warners, etc..so when they've been hooked on it for so long and getting 100s of millions off it, they're not going to just give it up.

But for YouTube TV, it's not Google's main biz and they've never had revenue from it to be addicted to and then have to stop. The cable box functionality is basically is either part of the tv or streaming device like AppleTV, Firestick, Roku (one time cost not monthly) etc... I can see price raises like the recent one and fees for things like 4K or maybe this multiview functionality but I don't know about fees that are similar to a cable box fee.
I understand what you are saying.. but the price creep in EVERY streaming service is clearly designed to wring as much money out of customers before they reach a pain point where they just quit the service. They are all doing this. That is why I think the equivalent of "outlets".. which is what the cable companies called the multiple TVs even before they had cable boxes.. that is coming.

Myself, I went with a Tivo solution to have cable and multiple "outlets" using networking between Tivo devices. It was a one-time substantial payment for hardware and a lifetime (of the device) subscription service (for TV schedules) but with multiple outlets and no cable charges for those outlets it was a decent deal.. as long as you could count on the hardware for 3 years or better. But that locks us into using cable rather than streaming.. though the Tivos act like streaming devices as well.

Still.. I routinely have to go to some website/activate to re-authorize access to an app on a device that had already been authorized. That robs me of time. Some per-device price is probably the next pain point they will add. We know people share access to streaming services with family and friends so that's one way the services can "fight back" but in doing so they risk being unsubscribed by the people who are paying now.

There's another thread going on about visiting Disney parks.. and Disney-plus streaming service is an interesting example. They started out with inexpensive subscriptions but the costs, startup and ongoing, were substantial. It negatively affected stock prices and some think that the price increases and related issues in the parks are an effort to offset the "failures" of the streaming service. CEO during that time was Bob Chapek and he became known as "CHEAP-ek".

The pressures to show profits.. increasing profits.. ties directly to executive pay and that is why I think absolutely every angle from which to wring a little more revenue will be explored. And some of them will go "too far" and die off as customers flee.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT