ADVERTISEMENT

Otis Livingston

Wade was very good and also played great defense but was only about 5'6" to at the most 5'8" tall. Otis I think is about 5'11" to 6' tall. I think Otis is a little more aware of what a defense is doing against your team. He can make a 3 but is not as well known for that as penetrating & dishing. Wade was a blur on the court and got many assists as does Otis. Desmond set records at Houston for assists as a freshman and as a sophomore at Houston. He probably should have stayed at Houston but left when Tom Penders was released. He did lead Houston to the NCAA as a freshman. Otis is a better foul shooter. I think he probably hits about 85%. The other night he was 10 of 10 against Roselle Catholic with all in crunch time.

Originally posted by nyctarheel23:
Roselle has some of the worst coaching I've seen in many years.

You offer Livingston for reasons noted above. Quality kid; loves the game; might turn into
a more than 10 minute player, and you curry favor with his coach. Plus you get coverage because of
his father, and hs coaches' family. Probably would help fundraising too.
Short-sighted for the worst team in the Big 10 that could make it to middle of pack
in 4 years to not offer him a ship.

Knights1212,-- how old is the Linden coach? I figured he was the youngest of his
more famous Dining/Chef brothers, but not young enough to want to Coach at
a higher level. Maybe the bald head is deceiving.

He is a classy guy, and demanding coach, but would think
he'd need to be more attached to Nike or sneaker-of-your-choice-power
program to be considered a Big 10 assistant. Is he close with the
Sandy guy we met at Kean a few Fridays ago?
Interesting thought depending on if he is early 40's or younger.If you're referring to Sandy Pyonin, I don't believe they are close. Sandy owns RoadRunners AAU and feeds most of his top kids to Roselle Catholic. I know Colicchio is constantly fighting the privates for coming after his kids. He absolutely hated Kevin Boyle for that reason.

I am guessing that Phil is about 47 or 48 but I could be slightly off. I don't think he is close to Sandy P. I have been told that Sandy has sent many kids to Roselle Catholic but I am not certain of the accuracy of that.

From what i gather Livingston is a great player. I do think going after 4 and 5 stars is a waste of time right now. 9/10 times i don't think they're coming here.

What i would like to see is EJ and company go after the guys underneath the best NJ players. Guys like a possible livingston, etc.

Again, it's not surprising who EJ has gotten given what he has to sell. Goode and Johnson make sense. As long as Sanders is a little selfless, we should be okay.

I know nothing about Otis Livingston, but....

If any coach is going to be successful at RU (sans the facility and everything else) it has to be identifying 40 Otis Livingstons and picking the right 12 to fill a roster.

I like OTIS FYI...but my opinion will not change. I like Phil C and think he is a great HS coach. Out-coaching some team with better talent does not make a kid high major. Linden kids struggle on the next level, the style they are allowed to play in HS doesn't translate to college IMO. Someone mentioned Des Wade, he was a beast in HS....straight BEAST. Hated playing him, he was good and his track record speaks for itself.

Originally posted by knights1212:

Personally I've heard that Phil would jump at an RU assistant's job if he was ever offered. I never mentioned this before as I hate to see anyone lose a job but now that someone has mentioned this I can confirm that he would be interested.
Interesting...but can he cook?

Very close Knight1212. Phil is 49. and BTW Sandy P is now alligned with St. Mary's in Elizabeth . Watch some of the kids they bring in

Yes, he was the backup point guard at Kansas under Larry Brown. Otis Jr. learned a lot from his Dad. His Dad sat about 10 feet from me last night. He was really into the game.

Originally posted by knights1212:

Yes, he was the backup point guard at Kansas under Larry Brown.
1988 Kansas NCAA title team. Otis Sr. (seated, with ball in his hands) averaged about 15 minutes per game.

1988-team_t650.jpg

Aggs -- so what's the story, does Minlend have an RU offer or just interest? He does seem like an under-recruited kid, unless he's more like 6-2 instead of the listed 6-4. Looks like a strong student. I know, I know, I'm grasping at straws that somehow this staff finds some players

Minlend

We've be in to see him and offered about a week ago.

I'm not sure about the level of competition he's playing against but I love watching him score the ball. He's long.

He played at the Reebok Challenge just like Corey Sanders did with his AAU team. There's a highlight video out there.

I think he's a very savvy scorer and a perfect fit for Eddie Jordan and Rutgers. I know Butler is interested but they haven't offered, and it's only a matter of time before other schools get involved. It's the spring and schools have to account for transfers and early entries.

This post was edited on 3/3 3:32 PM by Aggs

Originally posted by shields:

Sports Illustrated last week and Jimmy Butler. Not recruited out of Houston area. Buzz Williams spotted him at JUCO and now is scoring 20 a game in pros. Some of you guys probably would not have wanted him at RU.
The problem is that he wouldn't have turned into that kind of player at RU. Almost no one does.

Originally posted by PiscatawayMike:
1988 Kansas NCAA title team. Otis Sr. (seated, with ball in his hands) averaged about 15 minutes per game.

ec
which one?
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Steve Keller is a long time scout and he labeled him a low-major Division 1 prospect. He watches hundreds of games up and down the east coast.

Coaches always want to send us fringe Division 1/low-major prospects. And I could guess their response - "You are a mid-major program!" - but when it's time for us to recruit a high major player, we're never seriously considered.

This post was edited on 3/4 3:05 PM by Aggs

My point is you have to find the talent, like the ex BC coach found the hidden gems.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT