ADVERTISEMENT

Our biggest difference this year vs last

rubjk

Senior
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2013
Having the 1-2 punch of Cliff and Myles is going to be a huge advantage. How many times did we struggle a bit more when Myles hit into foul trouble or played poorly? Love having 2 strong big man.

We are also still a young team.

It’s going to be fun for years.

Its a game changer. Constant rebounder and rim protector inside instead of trying to make it work with Carter/Doucoure

Not having to worry about early fouls from myles will be a really nice thing. I obviously hope with his tenure that’ll be less common but having a 1-2 punch will be fun. Go ru

Reactions: Scangg
Having the 1-2 punch of Cliff and Myles is going to be a huge advantage. How many times did we struggle a bit more when Myles hit into foul trouble or played poorly? Love having 2 strong big man.

We are also still a young team.
It’s going to be fun for years.
Completely agree, changes the whole team, don't have to have a 6'8 guy at your center position if johnson is out.

Reactions: MV9000
I hope Cliff sticks around so the RAC crowd can enjoy him and he doesn’t go pro after this year

Let's pump the brakes a little on Cliff. Yes he played very well but SHU was undersized. I am not sure if Cliff has the strength level to bang with the likes of Garza for any extended period of time. Given his aggressiveness, I can see him getting into foul trouble quickly early in his career just like many other bigs when making the adjustment to college ball. And you can bet that after his first or second dunk against a B1G team he will fouled very hard on the next attempt.

I can't help but wonder if Pike was sending some type of message to Myles by starting Cliff last night. He did not allude to that at all in his post game presser but did mention how hard Cliff works in practice. Again against an undersized opponent both looked very strong last night.

Myles didn't start some games last year. Not sure the reason yesterday, but maybe continuing the trend so he doesn't foul early.

Reactions: cfech
Did Johnson really only play 16 mintues? And I hope we get to see both on the floor for a minutes. Johnson is not a bad passer and we could steal a few easy buckets in a high low

Whoever comes off the bench is going to have a big advantage over most teams backup centers.

Last year, if Pike would have just sat Miles for first 2 minutes of game it would have freed him up from 2 fouls.

Agree on all of this.

Miles looked very good last night, and even taking away the fact that SH is undersized, he looked much more comfortable, agile, and graceful making moves to the basket and putting it in. I have always liked him and knew he'd take a step this year.

Let's pump the brakes a little on Cliff. Yes he played very well but SHU was undersized. I am not sure if Cliff has the strength level to bang with the likes of Garza for any extended period of time. Given his aggressiveness, I can see him getting into foul trouble quickly early in his career just like many other bigs when making the adjustment to college ball. And you can bet that after his first or second dunk against a B1G team he will fouled very hard on the next attempt.

I can't help but wonder if Pike was sending some type of message to Myles by starting Cliff last night. He did not allude to that at all in his post game presser but did mention how hard Cliff works in practice. Again against an undersized opponent both looked very strong last night.
Hey what do I know? From watching Cliff last night it told me one thing. Physically Cliff may not be as strong as Garza right now but he will out quick, out maneuver and be more of an issue for Garza trying to guard him around the basket.Cliff is not only physically gifted he is a smart guy.Just be patient and give him some better competition.

Can't really tell much regarding the quality of the team after only one game, but for the players I'd assume that the biggest difference is not playing in front of fans. I'd think that is a mental adjustment that the coaches are really emphasizing.

I actually thought Cliff did a pretty good job of keeping his hands straight up and avoiding fouls especially for a freshman big who is considered a raw player. It was very promising for his ability to avoid foul trouble to an extent IMO. I'm sure he will get in foul trouble at times as they all do but from what I saw he was more under control than I expected

What's great about Cliff is that he's a gifted rebounder and a "plus" help defender already.

Having two marquee centers is also great because sometimes Myles, like any player, had lower energy off nights. Not a knock, it happens to just about every player. Now the odds are that just about every night we will have at least one turned-on high energy marquee big man.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT