ADVERTISEMENT

Rapid Reaction - Mississippi State

Degaz-RU

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2002
1. Absolutely MANHANDLED on the boards 47-26. MSU had 13 offensive rebounds. Cliff with ZERO rebounds. Even Mag had just 1 rebound. MSU had a lot of size up front, and we just couldn’t handle it.

2. We’re a bad shooting team quite obviously, and shot 3-17 from deep today. Hyatt 3-6 but rest of team 0-11. Highly disappointed that GG continues to struggle from deep.

3. Simpson just awful from the field today. Was 0-8 at one point, just killing us on possession after possession. Finished 3-14 (0-4).

4. JMike hurt leg in second half. He came back in but then didn’t play down the stretch. We’re in huge trouble if he’s out for any long period of time.

5. Cliff was just dominated by another physical big man. Bell with career highs of 17 pts and 18 rebounds. Cliff in foul trouble and finished with 3 points and 0 rebounds. Awful.

6. Hyatt was the only player with a pulse on offense. Finished with 18 and 6 on 6-11 (3-6) from the floor, and had that nice steal and three at the end of the first half.

7. Can see why Mag was listed as questionable. He was definitely favoring the leg, especially in the 2nd half. Kudos to him for playing through the discomfort.

8. Pretty clear now that this team is not an NCAA tournament team. We have been dominated by four likely tournament teams, but teams that — except for perhaps Illinois — aren’t World beaters. We just don’t have the size, toughness, length, or scoring skill to compete this year.

1. Absolutely MANHANDLED on the boards 47-26. MSU had 13 offensive rebounds. Cliff with ZERO rebounds. Even Mag had just 1 rebound. MSU had a lot of size up front, and we just couldn’t handle it.

2. We’re a bad shooting team quite obviously, and shot 3-17 from deep today. Hyatt 3-6 but rest of team 0-11. Highly disappointed that GG continues to struggle from deep.

3. Simpson just awful from the field today. Was 0-8 at one point, just killing us on possession after possession. Finished 3-14 (0-4).

4. JMike hurt leg in second half. He came back in but then didn’t play down the stretch. We’re in huge trouble if he’s out for any long period of time.

5. Cliff was just dominated by another physical big man. Bell with career highs of 17 pts and 18 rebounds. Cliff in foul trouble and finished with 3 points and 0 rebounds. Awful.

6. Hyatt was the only player with a pulse on offense. Finished with 18 and 6 on 6-11 (3-6) from the floor, and had that nice steal and three at the end of the first half.

7. Can see why Mag was listed as questionable. He was definitely favoring the leg, especially in the 2nd half. Kudos to him for playing through the discomfort.

8. Pretty clear now that this team is not an NCAA tournament team. We have been dominated by four likely tournament teams, but teams that — except for perhaps Illinois — aren’t World beaters. We just don’t have the size, toughness, length, or scoring skill to compete this year.

8. Is spot on, not a Tourney team for sure. Don’t see where the Q1/Q2 wins would come from with this group. They just suck, no other words for them. The SHU win feels like an anomaly as far as how they looked in that game. SHU is actually better than us.

8. Is spot on, not a Tourney team for sure. Don’t see where the Q1/Q2 wins would come from with this group. They just suck, no other words for them. The SHU win feels like an anomaly as far as how they looked in that game. SHU is actually better than us.

Ran quickly through the schedule

See 12-13 wins total

This team has no offense. Its best offense is its defense. Mag, Cliff and davis should be on the floor as much as possible

Pike’s substitutions?!?! A Williams was not ready for this game. Not sure why we saw him in second half. Too much Derek. I get searching for a spark (like putting Oskar in just to see if he has something) but Pike needs to shorten the rotation and develop.

Reactions: Wagram97
After watching the putridity that the RU BB program has become as compared to a couple years ago, it remains a head scratcher why the No. 2 and 3 H.S. players in the country for ‘24 want to come here to play.

I said it before and I’ll keep saying it. Our strength development is terrible. It looked like skinny kids playing against grown men. That leads to our rebounding problems. We get moved off spots way to easily.
This was the most glaring thing to me today.

Reactions: higgins3
I dont see any reason to bring recruits into it but Pike built this program on being a tough out. This isn’t all about talent. We’ve lost our identity as a tough hard nosed squad. We’re soft. Miss St is what we used to be.
I agree and I have to imagine Pike is pretty pissed about some things that happened out there today. But I don’t think that’s an indictment of the program overall.

Reactions: ChasRC69 and cm_13

Degas, spot on. As I mentioned in the game thread, Miss St is an NCAA team . We are not. IMO, we’ll be lucky if we end the season at .500.

Reactions: Degaz-RU
I agree and I have to imagine Pike is pretty pissed about some things that happened out there today. But I don’t think that’s an indictment of the program overall.

Agree. It’s premature for that stuff but it’s damn disappointing thus far this season to see us not giving the effort that we have seen for the past 4-5 years.

Miss State was in tourney last year.
And their starting 5 is the same as last year's first four NCAA Tournament team, with the exception of Jimmy Bell Jr starting for injured star Tolu Smith. They're experienced and they're older, with 3 grad students and 2 seniors as the starting 5.

And speaking of their grad transfer Jimmy Bell Jr. who was dominant today, he was an offensive lineman in high school weighing close to 400 pounds. He went to prep school to concentrate on basketball and while there lost somewhere between 80 and 100 pounds to get his weight down to 290... This is the fourth school of his college career, with his first 2 years at St. Louis, then a year of JUCO, then at West Virginia last season, and now at Mississippi State.

Last edited:
Reactions: BillyC80 and RU MAN
I disagree that its a strength and conditioning issue..Mississippi State was just naturally much bigger. The team was
not aggressive enough today and unfortunately has no one to knock down shots (gavin has been disappointing in that aspect, and so have our guards). If we want any shot at making the tourney the team needs to go all in on defensive side of the ball with cliff davis and mag playing heavy minutes.

Reactions: ChasRC69
At this point I don't think that Cliff nor Rutgers need to worry about NBA teams coming after him.

Reactions: Kbee3
At this point I don't think that Cliff nor Rutgers need to worry about NBA teams coming after him.
I agree. Cliff might be better off coming back next year and getting what he can in NIL and then go and play overseas.

We are seeing the same things every game. Almost pointless to have a recap.

We look like we don't practice fast breaks in practice. You'd think the players are under the impression that it's worth 2 points just to shoot the ball on the break. So many of our fast break attempts have no prayer of going in (see Simpson drive in the 2nd half).

We continue to pass the ball to cliff in terrible spots and he often jacks up a terrible shot. This is on the staff. There needs to be a very clear area (for cliff and his teammates) where he is allowed to be passed the ball. What's currently happening is unacceptable.

Cliff trying to block everything consistently has him out of position for rebounds.

Cliffs 2nd and 4th fouls were brutal. They just showed a total lack of awareness of his part. The staff deserves some blame here.

I was impressed on how we handled the press. Of course we had 3 quick TO's and gave up the lead once the announcer complimented us. Kiss of death.

Simpson had some nice passes but was brutal in the mid range and drives.

Very nice game by Hyatt. Had 2 3's almost go down.

Not sure why anyone thought GG could be our leading scorer this year.

Reactions: RUShea
Miss St Center/PF 35 pts 29 rebounds
Rutgers Cebter/PF 11 pts 1 rebound

Pike was not much better

Out worked and Out Coached today

That’s it plain and simple

Reactions: winfield102
I dont see any reason to bring recruits into it but Pike built this program on being a tough out. This isn’t all about talent. We’ve lost our identity as a tough hard nosed squad. We’re soft. Miss St is what we used to be.
Agreed

But that's a pretty nice club they got in Starkville.

Reactions: bitnez and RU MAN
What’s interesting is Simpson was a difference maker last year because he played downhill with his head up and found the open man. This year he has fallen into the role of some of our previous point guards who pound the ball into the floor 30 feet away from the basket and are shoot first pass second type guards. He needs to become a slasher again. Offense self destructed when he entered the game today.

What’s interesting is Simpson was a difference maker last year because he played downhill with his head up and found the open man. This year he has fallen into the role of some of our previous point guards who pound the ball into the floor 30 feet away from the basket and are shoot first pass second type guards. He needs to become a slasher again. Offense self destructed when he entered the game today.
Agreed but that’s a coaching offensive game plan by the staff. Our success down the stretch and w Paul at his best is playing high pick and roll down hill . For what ever reason we do not run that this year or very limited . Not sure what the staff is doing

Spot on

Reactions: Degaz-RU
True. But today I counted 4 missed bunnies by him. The kid has talent but he’s way too inconsistent.

Yeah, sums it up pretty well. Really thought we'd come out in the 2nd half on fire after that great finish at the end of the first and then, fizzle.

Reactions: Degaz-RU and cm_13
Team would look vastly different with Cam and Paul.

Roster was envisioned with them in mind, but unfortunately we had to turn the page on those two at basically the last minute.
Full stop with the rebounding. With us getting obliterated on boards any discussion about Paul and Cam is silly.

Reactions: ILikePike
True. But today I counted 4 missed bunnies by him. The kid has talent but he’s way too inconsistent.
Agreed. Kid is not playing the same game he played last year. Less to do with missed shots or lay ups. It’s more to do with him dribbling over passing, his poor shot selection and not being aggressive when he has the ball.

Reactions: RU MAN
Saw size of Miss State during warm ups and knew this game would be difficult given our lack of rebounding prowess.

What I did not count on was Cliff being abused once again. Granted Bell is a monster but to have Cliff disappear again is just an awful sign.

Simpson was out of control entire game

In order for us to beat good teams- we have to be clicking on all cylinders in every facet of the game.

Told a bunch of people after the St John’s exhibition that I saw NIT as ceiling for this squad.

Now I don’t even know if we ll qualify for NIT consideration.

What We need for next year to compliment the talent we have coming in is a Rashod Kent / Joel Salvi type whose happy and is talented just to get boards.

Saw Geo / Harp and Myles Johnson after the game hanging out!

Reactions: BillyC80 and RU MAN
I think or hope fans realize that the roster is moving into a transition where players who are more suited to play at a faster pace, are mixed with some players who are truly "station to station" or below the rim players.

The thread above this is loaded with horrible or inaccurate stuff, because fans aren't willing to understand that this roster is the extension of where it left off in February and March last year. It was fading then, because of a lack of athletic abilities and most of the roster up front, kinda looks the same way.

Mag is a good, complimentary player on a NCAA caliber roster. He is a battlefield player who gets junkyard points, but isn't athletic enough or has the skill sets to run, jump and elevate
to shoot and score/rebound with a roster like Illinois or Mississippi State or a good amount of the NCAA caliber teams we will see.

Hyatt is also a station to station player who is more like Mag, and plays below the rim, not a leaper....he can help you with his shooting and some postups on occasion, but not a athletic ability type of player you can ask to match up with the more complete front court rosters that typically are NCAA caliber.

We then add to those front court pieces, Oskar Palmquist who is best suited as a spot up shooter off the bench.....and then another player who I think has more upside or athletic abilities in Woolfolk, but he's asked to play a backup 5 or undersized 4, without the footspeed or hops to compete at this level.

Soooo......is the season lost?? It's far from lost, but understand that we have Jeremiah Williams on this roster for a reason....he matches up and prevents the drives into the lane that led to layups or dunks vs Illinois or Mississippi State. He isn't solving the rebounding woes, but gets some 50/50 loose balls that we don't get without a Caleb McConnell.

And caught in the crosshairs or crossfire of this roster transition, are Davis, Simpson, and Griffiths, who have abilities to create, but don't have the wings or forwards to compliment their skill sets.

I thought Gavin Griffiths took another step forward today, but fans will only look at his 3 point misses. He actually challenged the MSU defense (because he has the complete offensive game, to do so) multiple times and elevated to score and draw a foul. If the rest of the forwards played with a faster pace or had a higher playmaking ability, it opens things up for him. The pass when Gavin should have just shot the ball from the corner in the 2nd half, comes from not having other forwards who can cut/slash and playmake.

All things considered, with how this roster will look in a year, I'm hopeful that Davis is fine and not concerned about Simpson today. His shooting was woeful and not good at all, but he's another player like Davis, who's better suited in an up tempo roster, where the pieces fit.

In terms of Mississippi State, Jans, the former coach at New Mexico State, is a grinder. He clearly scouted RU very well and interrupted a lot of what we wanted to run. Hedges against our forwards on the dribble handoff for Hyatt and Mag designed to get a preferred switch or matchup, completely took both players out of rhythm.....and because neither forward is a true dribble-drive or create their own offense PF or SFs, there wasn't another answer to get the ball moving......both Mag and Hyatt played well and within their abilities, which is all you can ask for.

Most of today, had a look and feel of February last year and into March. It's going to take more time for Griffiths, Davis and Simpson to take some steps forward and we have to hope Jeremiah Williams gets cleared, if fans are more concerned with just this one season, vs looking how things should look 2024-25 and beyond.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: darkcheck
Such an odd post. Are you not aware that teams tend to fluctuate in quality from year to year?
No fluctuation. Covid, almost sweet 16, eliminated in play-in, lost in NIT at home to Hofstra, this dumpster fire. Peaked in March 2021, since then to now have gotten progressively worse as a program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT