ADVERTISEMENT

Our Guys

Has the new age of NCAA Hoops changed your sense of "our guys," and your level of fanaticism?

• If they're in scarlet, they're our guys.

Votes: 50 60.2%
  • Hired guns payday driven, I just don't see them as "our guys."

Votes: 33 39.8%

• Total voters

zebnatto

All Conference
May 7, 2008
In the age of NIL, free transfer, extended eligibility, easy come/easy go. Does this affect you as a Rutgers fan, or, as much as ever, are these "our guys"?

Reactions: runrutgersrun
In the age of NIL, free transfer, extended eligibility, easy come/easy go. Does this affect you as a Rutgers fan, or, as much as ever, are these "our guys"?
To be determined, as the upcoming year will really be the first year where Rutgers is unabashedly playing the NIL portal game.

I know we had 6 new players this year, but I still rooted just as hard for our team as I did in previous years, perhaps because we still had enough guys from previous teams to bridge the gap, plus "our" two freshmen.

I will say, though, that I've always said that I prefer college sports over pro sports specifically because there's more continuity in college sports, with free agency really making it difficult to get to "know" pro players and become attached to them. It remains to be seen whether annual free agency in college has the same impact on my interest, or whether the name/uniform alone -- RUTGERS -- will keep me emotionally invested.

Doesn’t affect me or my interest at all. I root for the guys in Scarlet.

But I do think the rules need to be slightly weighted back towards the schools, the schools are making an investment in a player. Not a huge fan of the transfer rules as they stand - not everyone in the NBA goes into free agency every year, and some still have to play on a contract they’re outperforming until their next window. It should be the same for college. Sit 1 year, no loss of eligibility. And tampering needs to be policed aggressively.

To be determined, as the upcoming year will really be the first year where Rutgers is unabashedly playing the NIL portal game.

I know we had 6 new players this year, but I still rooted just as hard for our team as I did in previous years, perhaps because we still had enough guys from previous teams to bridge the gap, plus "our" two freshmen.

I will say, though, that I've always said that I prefer college sports over pro sports specifically because there's more continuity in college sports, with free agency really making it difficult to get to "know" pro players and become attached to them. It remains to be seen whether annual free agency in college has the same impact on my interest, or whether the name/uniform alone -- RUTGERS -- will keep me emotionally invested.

I’ll admit that I have some favorite teams. It’s still going to be hard, if not impossible, to top the 21-22 team for me.

I feel like tons of guys in NIL also falls on the coach in some sense Usually these guys are leaving because they are not getting playing time, and maybe shouldn't have been scouted for a specific level program. It is messy overall with so much movement. If they played in Scarlet, I will always wish them well.

I’m “all in” for next season especially if Pike has a couple of Aces up his sleeve (no pun). However, depending on how next season goes, there could very well be a couple of 100 level seats for someone to scarf up after 35 plus years.

Definitely having an impact on me. Unlike almost all fans I am not that excited for next year. One and done guys and almost complete roster turnover doesnt sit well with me.

The whole Mag saga has also had an impact
Lol yea ok. You’ll be cheering with pom poms when we’re 10-0 next year.

Remember the expression-- "Root for the jersey not the player whose name is on it ""

Schools could save a lot of uniform $ by simply attaching Velcro names to the back vs. printing them every year.

Reactions: zebnatto
I didn’t know Jeremiah Williams, never saw much of him play, but when he finally arrived and balled out during the 4 game winning streak, I certainly and quickly considered him amongst “our guys” at that point. Same for anyone who arrives here next year through the portal, one of our guys. The more the merrier as far as new arrivals after we saw issues, lack of shooting and talent gaps with this past season’s team.

Reactions: tm_nj and Wagram97
Definitely having an impact on me. Unlike almost all fans I am not that excited for next year. One and done guys and almost complete roster turnover doesnt sit well with me.

Understand I Get It GIF by PBS

I'm a little leery too, and I'm not sure one and dones are the best thing in a Pikiell-led program. BUT, I'd definitely rather have this class than not.

There's actually TWO forces at work here -- (1) signing "one and dones" to freshmen recruiting classes; and (2) college free agency through the portal.

In a way, shouldn't #1 actually be the REMEDY for #2?

In other words, I think your gripe with bringing in one and dones is that it would leave a gaping hole in the roster for the following year, and that, unless Pike is able to keep bringing in one and dones every year, the program will be scrambling to get onto the bubble with "under the radar" talent.

That view certainly has objective merit -- even though everyone including me think you're crazy for wanting to forsake Ace and Dylan -- but with the portal basically creating ANNUAL free agency, shouldn't college basketball teams do as much as they can to bring in high level talent each year, including "one and done" freshman talent?

Just a thought as we watch the core of our team fly the coop into the portal...

There's actually TWO forces at work here -- (1) signing "one and dones" to freshmen recruiting classes; and (2) college free agency through the portal.

In a way, shouldn't #1 actually be the REMEDY for #2?

In other words, I think your gripe with bringing in one and dones is that it would leave a gaping hole in the roster for the following year, and that, unless Pike is able to keep bringing in one and dones every year, the program will be scrambling to get onto the bubble with "under the radar" talent.

That view certainly has objective merit -- even though everyone including me think you're crazy for wanting to forsake Ace and Dylan -- but with the portal basically creating ANNUAL free agency, shouldn't college basketball teams do as much as they can to bring in high level talent each year, including "one and done" freshman talent?

Just a thought as we watch the core of our team fly the coop into the portal...
A good debate….

Can 1 and dones hurt recruiting the portals?

Why I used to love college sports…players played for the school..for the name on the jersey front.

That’s no longer the case, and turnover in some ways is worse in college than the pros. This is sad.

But don't you root for the name on the front?
I couldn't care less about the name on the back.

Even historically, none of these players would be here without a scholarship anyway. It's not like they are paying their own way just to attend Rutgers.

For me it is what separated the college game from the Pros…I loved the fact that a kid commit to a Rutgers and play for the school for several years and be considered associated to it.
I like it more when a kid could graduate here and hold the degree and that would be with them for life along with the school name.
Now I’m aware transfers have always happened over time but I appreciated the guys so much more when they stuck with the school to see it through and connected them and me to the school. Now we have seen players like Myles, Mulcahy and even Cam graduate from here and go on to different schools but feels odd seeing them in different uniforms(less so for Cam). The Covid year will finally go away which hasn’t helped but this whole free agency aspect is awful.
I root for the jersey first and hope I can see a kid develop over time into a decent player. I just don’t know if the good ones will ever stick around anymore across the country.

I despised the NBA for years due to all the player movement and only back into it for the Knicks right now bc my kids are excited about them. Otherwise I find it terribly boring compared to the college game. The Rutgers angle and tying me back to the school puts it way over the top but even that is starting to fade

Even historically, none of these players would be here without a scholarship anyway. It's not like they are paying their own way just to attend Rutgers.

Absolutely. But the “connection” with these players is no longer there. Most players no longer care about the name on the front of the jersey..so it’s tough for me to now, too

I care more for the name on the front, but I do care some for the name on the back. Sort of explains my lesser interest in pro sports.

Reactions: NickRU714
I care more for the name on the front, but I do care some for the name on the back. Sort of explains my lesser interest in pro sports.

Star players in college are around for 4 years at most. Usually less.

Star players in professional sports could be around for a decade+.

I would argue you should have more interest in pro sports than.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
Star players in college are around for 4 years at most. Usually less.

Star players in professional sports could be around for a decade+.

I would argue you should have more interest in pro sports than.
Not really. They are all hired guns. I don’t want to go overstate, but there’s a piece of that in
me. A piece.

Reactions: NickRU714
Only Mag knows whether he was hurt or not, I don't play lets enter someone else's mind.
I feel bad that he was consistently healthy enough to have great practices (as per Pike) and yet had the worse luck in the world to suddenly be injured when it was actual game time. No one would believe it if it wasn’t true….

Name on the Front for me. Fans are fickle and ride the emotional roller coaster. Most have no problems ans are hopeful for new blood when guys like Rieber, Miller, Chol and even Palm etc transfer out. But then erupt and lament the state of the sport when higher profile players (some of whom have already graduated mind you) decide to depart. Then only to go wild again with the promise of new transfers in.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
We are a fan base that has survived for years, nay decades, brutal disappointments due to incompetence, lack of financial support or just plain bad luck. It is interesting to see that the current state of affairs is bringing some very dedicated fans to turning their backs on RU sports...in the face off the arrival of the greatest recruiting class RU history, no less! I admit I voted for option 1 in the poll above, but I sure wish some other solution surfaces for these issues that can be equitable but a lot less "professional"/mercenary. I guess I'm just old fashioned. Go RU always, but...! To quote Caleb: 😭

We are a fan base that has survived for years, nay decades, brutal disappointments due to incompetence, lack of financial support or just plain bad luck. It is interesting to see that the current state of affairs is bringing some very dedicated fans to turning their backs on RU sports...in the face off the arrival of the greatest recruiting class RU history, no less! I admit I voted for option 1 in the poll above, but I sure wish some other solution surfaces for these issues that can be equitable but a lot less "professional"/mercenary. I guess I'm just old fashioned. Go RU always, but...! To quote Caleb: 😭

I think it’s odd that fans rarely ever think about it from a players perspective. When I think about Cliff and Oskar leaving, those guys would basically be returning to a brand new roster of kids 3-4 years younger than them, not the close friends they’ve eaten almost every meal with, practiced with and gone out on the weekends for the last 4-5 years - not to mention the difference in priorities for guys who are 22, 23 vs 18.

I think it’s odd that fans rarely ever think about it from a players perspective. When I think about Cliff and Oskar leaving, those guys would basically be returning to a brand new roster of kids 3-4 years younger than them, not the close friends they’ve eaten almost every meal with, practiced with and gone out on the weekends for the last 4-5 years - not to mention the difference in priorities for guys who are 22, 23 vs 18.
That's the nature of high school and college athletics (and to a much lesser extent, the pros). People graduate, the younger players become older players. Older players are expected (and used to look forward to) mentoring the younger players (and keeping team traditions alive). Have there always been selfish dickhead upperclassmen? Of course (to this day, I have no problem saying Ray Lucas was a jerkoff in the mid-90s, unlike say Battaglia). But part of successful athletic programs has always been a mentoring/teaching culture with a succession plan.

I feel bad that he was consistently healthy enough to have great practices (as per Pike) and yet had the worse luck in the world to suddenly be injured when it was actual game time. No one would believe it if it wasn’t true….
Pike said like three different things this year. Early on he said he was practicing great. Have no issue with Mag practicing but not feeling ready enough to play coming back from a surgery. Confidence in the knee is half the battle. Then when Mag first shut it down Pike said he wasn't practicing at all. Then at the end of season he said we was, but didn't think he'd play.

I don’t like the current situation, but as long as the players play with passion and intensity, I’ll keep watching. The worst part of the nba is that it’s obvious the effort level is anywhere between 80% and 90% in the regular season. Most college games have max effort in every game. If that ever changes, then I’ll be done.

That's the nature of high school and college athletics (and to a much lesser extent, the pros). People graduate, the younger players become older players. Older players are expected (and used to look forward to) mentoring the younger players (and keeping team traditions alive). Have there always been selfish dickhead upperclassmen? Of course (to this day, I have no problem saying Ray Lucas was a jerkoff in the mid-90s, unlike say Battaglia). But part of successful athletic programs has always been a mentoring/teaching culture with a succession plan.

Don’t disagree. Think Covid year also contributing to the high number of transfers - lots of graduates with an extra year of eligibility. Why not pull a Tom Brady and go spend a year on a new experience - and if you can get some coin, good for you.

People are people, some assholes, mostly good. Teams are like that too. I’m proud of the culture we have and I’d rather give people the benefit of the doubt than be cynical. It’s better for your mental health.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT