ADVERTISEMENT

Our Guys

Has the new age of NCAA Hoops changed your sense of "our guys," and your level of fanaticism?

• If they're in scarlet, they're our guys.

Votes: 50 60.2%
  • Hired guns payday driven, I just don't see them as "our guys."

Votes: 33 39.8%

• Total voters
Pike said like three different things this year. Early on he said he was practicing great. Have no issue with Mag practicing but not feeling ready enough to play coming back from a surgery. Confidence in the knee is half the battle. Then when Mag first shut it down Pike said he wasn't practicing at all. Then at the end of season he said we was, but didn't think he'd play.
Yes, I really respect Coach for not completing flagging Mag late in the year when the knee was back, the "calf injury" was resolved, and Mag was actively practicing, but not playing games. A lot of other coaches would've kicked him off the team. Pike took the high road.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Yes, I really respect Coach for not completing flagging Mag late in the year when the knee was back, the "calf injury" was resolved, and Mag was actively practicing, but not playing games. A lot of other coaches would've kicked him off the team. Pike took the high road.

Fans get to be reactionary and complain. Pike needs to be strategic and think about it from every angle and spin - including negative recruiting “why go to RU, the coach kicks injured players off the team” is not a narrative Pike wants to have to clarify during a living room visit.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
We are a fan base that has survived for years, nay decades, brutal disappointments due to incompetence, lack of financial support or just plain bad luck. It is interesting to see that the current state of affairs is bringing some very dedicated fans to turning their backs on RU sports...in the face off the arrival of the greatest recruiting class RU history, no less! I admit I voted for option 1 in the poll above, but I sure wish some other solution surfaces for these issues that can be equitable but a lot less "professional"/mercenary. I guess I'm just old fashioned. Go RU always, but...! To quote Caleb: 😭

I'll believe it when I see it (re: Dedicated fans turning their backs on RU Sports).

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Ace and Dylan are both going to make a sizable amount while playing for RU with the intention of being here for 1 year.

I absolutely consider them to be “our guys” and will tout them as such when NBA fans talk about them.

Guys like Mag can kick rocks. Dude spent plenty of time at RU. Similar to Eugene O, he could go to the NBA and I’d never say he’s an RU guy.

While they're playing in Scarlet they're "R" guys. -If they still have eligibility left and choose to leave via the portal then they become "their" guys...whomever that might be.

But as long as they're here and out on that court bustin' their hump and giving everything they're got for RU, I consider them to be ours, regardless of the NIL and Covid year stuff that have changed the landscape of college hoops so drastically.

Definitely having an impact on me. Unlike almost all fans I am not that excited for next year. One and done guys and almost complete roster turnover doesnt sit well with me.

The whole Mag saga has also had an impact
Free agency killed baseball for me in the early 80s - hated losing player continuity and loyalty. I understood why it was good for the players, but it wasn't good for this fan and this isn't much different for me. Definitely less interested in college sports with NIL/open transfers than I used to be - and again, I know it's good for the players, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT