ADVERTISEMENT

Our new center?

In the not too distant past, a 4-star like Lathan would've been the best player in most any Rutgers incoming freshmen class. (And Dylan Grant would be not far behind.)

But when we compare him to Ace and Harper it's like, ugh, a mobile 6'10" center that can dribble, pass, shoot free throws, score in the lane AND from outside and is widely considered the 2nd best player in all of Illinois? We're doomed.

But, that's good. I love the raised expectations. Beats the alternative.

In the not too distant past, a 4-star like Lathan would've been the best player in most any Rutgers incoming freshmen class. (And Dylan Grant would be not far behind.)

But when we compare him to Ace and Harper it's like, ugh, a mobile 6'10" center that can dribble, pass, shoot free throws, score in the lane AND from outside and is widely considered the 2nd best player in all of Illinois? We're doomed.

But, that's good. I love the raised expectations. Beats the alternative.
In the not to distant past, there would have been a reasonable expectation that a player like Lathan would play at Rutgers for his entire career. If he didn’t excel immediately, there would be a reasonable expectation that he would develop into a really good player during his career at Rutgers. If we are only looking at players based on what will they contribute in the coming year, we have to consider how good the players will be compared to experienced transfers. That being said, I might be overly optimistic, but I think Lathan and Dylan Grant will be valuable contributors next year. I also hope they will stay at Rutgers for more than one year. However, there is real risk that they will do a Gavin and underperform as a freshman and leave.

. However, there is real risk that they will do a Gavin and underperform as a freshman and leave.
ha, gievn the current state of college sports i thought you were going to go “if they have a good season there is a real risk they leave”

For me though this upcoming season is all about this upcoming season. Just have a big year then go from there.

Reactions: RUfan1977
In the not to distant past, there would have been a reasonable expectation that a player like Lathan would play at Rutgers for his entire career. If he didn’t excel immediately, there would be a reasonable expectation that he would develop into a really good player during his career at Rutgers. If we are only looking at players based on what will they contribute in the coming year, we have to consider how good the players will be compared to experienced transfers. That being said, I might be overly optimistic, but I think Lathan and Dylan Grant will be valuable contributors next year. I also hope they will stay at Rutgers for more than one year. However, there is real risk that they will do a Gavin and underperform as a freshman and leave.
Cliff was rated higher than him. Look at Cliff’s frosh stats. They were okay but he played a back up center role. It’s very rare that any frosh BIG comes in and plays an impact role their first season. The trouble is recruitment is only a one year thing now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT