ADVERTISEMENT

Our new center?

Very possible. He was supposed to go to Alabama per the soothsayers but obviously that's not happening. UNC is after him still.

Supposedly his list was down to Alabama, UNC, and Louisville. Alabama is obviously out and with UNC getting a commit from Lubin yesterday, that might have scared Big U off from playing there. Rutgers would certainly seem like a good fit. Certainly better than Louisville.

Would he be a better get than than the big Serbian mentioned a few days ago?

@KristianRDyer ... really? Your name is on that article but that has to be a mistake... You wouldn't take some random tweet and just blindly run with it right?

Absolutely

Times 10. If we find a way to seal the deal on this, we’ll suddenly be positioned to run the 5 in the way we did in 2019-20. Basically, we’ll have lined up our rising MJ except instead it’d be a kid with 5 star measurables. Somerville would be our Shaq Carter - questions on D, but a kid who can score the ball and will require opponents to adjust how to guard the post. And Ogbole our Shaq Doorson - big body bruiser. 15 fouls to give. On paper it’d be perfect actually for team chemistry. A proven double double type grad transfer would’ve come in feeling the pressure to match prior production - possibly forcing things in the paint.

Let me add - if this is what we end up with, I predict an aggressive approach on D in the post. The PT split likely dictated in part by foul management - another parallel to 2019-20.

According to another report this player is number two on UNC list for a center. UNC has someone in front of him that is deciding whether or not to stay in the draft. Think we don’t wait it out and go with the player from Serbia if we can get him.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Well that would stink.

Serbian kid is a multi-year project. Would be a long shot to win the starting role. UK transfer would basically be penciled in.

How can it be “old news”? Didn’t the 99% forecast just happen. Of course that doesn’t mean UNC isn’t also in the mix and we’re the back up plan.
Although the report is new Willis said that premium said it is based on old news and that things have changed due to the Somerville concerns about PT.

Although the report is new Willis said that premium said it is based on old news and that things have changed due to the Somerville concerns about PT.

Oh gotcha. I didn’t read it that way but probably just missed it in the belligerence. I took it as he was looking to reignite back and forth to then be able to point at that being what this string is about and people should avoid it. But yeah, I don’t have premium either so unfortunately if the kid doesn’t come here and nobody clarifies a dark cloud could certainly remain over the way I think of Somerville. At this point that’s all I care about with respect to this lengthy thread. That, and of course, I am still holding out hope we get the UK kid.

Oh gotcha. I didn’t read it that way but probably just missed it in the belligerence. I took it as he was looking to reignite back and forth to then be able to point at that being what this string is about and people should avoid it. But yeah, I don’t have premium either so unfortunately if the kid doesn’t come here and nobody clarifies a dark cloud could certainly remain over the way I think of Somerville. At this point that’s all I care about with respect to this lengthy thread. That, and of course, I am still holding out hope we get the UK kid.
Keep in mind with Somerville that there is a lot of grey area. Somerville might have said he has concerns about PT. Or he might have told Pike not to worry about another center because he's got this. Who knows. It doesn't mean he gave an ultimatum. It might have been one factor for Pike, along with the fact that Ogbole is progressing. And whoever Richie got this news nugget from...we don't know what exactly that person was told or overheard, and how that person translated it to Richie, etc, etc. Is it first hand, secondhand, third or fifth hand info?

Reactions: Scarlet83
Keep in mind with Somerville that there is a lot of grey area. Somerville might have said he has concerns about PT. Or he might have told Pike not to worry about another center because he's got this. Who knows. It doesn't mean he gave an ultimatum. It might have been one factor for Pike, along with the fact that Ogbole is progressing. And whoever Richie got this news nugget from...we don't know what exactly that person was told or overheard, and how that person translated it to Richie, etc, etc. Is it first hand, secondhand, third or fifth hand info?
Or it is complete crap.

Willis said it’s old news in the other thread and not happening.
Confused Gary Coleman GIF

I think it's weird to automatically assume Onyenso would be a Day 1, Game 1 starter at RU over Sommerville BUT neither Arkansas (with his current coach in Calipari and needs players) isn't interested AND Kentucky (with current coach Mark Pope) isn't interested in taking him back either.

If Arkansas and Kentucky aren't biting and UNC has other bigs higher on their lists, why should RU be paying all of this NIL money for a player that doesn't appear to be a starter AND is going to cost a lot of NIL money??

Keep in mind Kentucky took bigs from Drexel and Wake Forest instead of keeping a Top 40 kid who already played 2 years at Kentucky AND the Kentucky fan base doesn't have much fanfare in losing Onyenso. Essentially it should tell us RU fans that the player is severely overrated and nowhere near what the handlers or player thinks he's worth.

I think it's weird to automatically assume Onyenso would be a Day 1, Game 1 starter at RU over Sommerville BUT neither Arkansas (with his current coach in Calipari and needs players) isn't interested AND Kentucky (with current coach Mark Pope) isn't interested in taking him back either.

If Arkansas and Kentucky aren't biting and UNC has other bigs higher on their lists, why should RU be paying all of this NIL money for a player that doesn't appear to be a starter AND is going to cost a lot of NIL money??

Keep in mind Kentucky took bigs from Drexel and Wake Forest instead of keeping a Top 40 kid who already played 2 years at Kentucky AND the Kentucky fan base doesn't have much fanfare in losing Onyenso. Essentially it should tell us RU fans that the player is severely overrated and nowhere near what the handlers or player thinks he's worth.
This may be true, who knows. But I think most fans would be thrilled if we added him.

Probably because teams have different needs.

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
This may be true, who knows. But I think most fans would be thrilled if we added him.
Loyola Marymount in 1990 with a shot blocking center may have won it all. Gathers was 6’7” and more of PF and LMU was only eliminated in the Regional Final by an absolutely loaded eventual champ, UNLV.

What fans say mean nothing. Many RU fans seem happy Cliff is gone. Unfortunately, yoh say the important word in your post, NIL. Kentucky doesn't need him back at what the kid wants. I'm sure Cal isn't looking to put a bunch of $ into him, when he has to pay an entire team to come. UNC has more experienced guys they would prefer to spend on. RU may have no one starting worthy.

Loyola Marymount in 1990 with a shot blocking center may have won it all. Gathers was 6’7” and more of PF and LMU was only eliminated in the Regional Final by an absolutely loaded eventual champ, UNLV.
Gathers (who was likely a top 5 or 10 pick for NBA draft) passed away prior to the team playing the NCAA tourney. The Committee gave them an 11 seed in large part due to this, yet Bo Kimble and team played out its mind (I think they blew out 3rd seed Michigan in round of 32) and blew out teams until running into undefeated UNLV in Elite 8. Kimble famously shot all FTs left-handed as a tribute to Gathers.

What fans say mean nothing. Many RU fans seem happy Cliff is gone. Unfortunately, yoh say the important word in your post, NIL. Kentucky doesn't need him back at what the kid wants. I'm sure Cal isn't looking to put a bunch of $ into him, when he has to pay an entire team to come. UNC has more experienced guys they would prefer to spend on. RU may have no one starting worthy.
I don't think fans are happy Cliff is gone--he is actually the exact type of center next season's team needs. I think fans generally are realistic that NIL would be a barrier for us to retain him. I don't sense there is vitriol to Cliff leaving after graduating and giving 4 years. He also did it early in the process. A RU man. Sometimes things run its course and change is not a bad thing.

I don't think fans are happy Cliff is gone--he is actually the exact type of center next season's team needs. I think fans generally are realistic that NIL would be a barrier for us to retain him. I don't sense there is vitriol to Cliff leaving after graduating and giving 4 years. He also did it early in the process. A RU man. Sometimes things run its course and change is not a bad thing.
Some seemed to be happy he was gone because we'd get a better fit at center. Seemed pretty crazy to me.

There are/were more people that are glad he's gone than you'd think. Some of them even claim to know something about basketball.

There are/were more people that are glad he's gone than you'd think. Some of them even claim to know something about basketball.

I won't speak for others.
But as I've said for other positions and players - it's about role for NEXT years team (see my questions about JWill and an off ball role next to Dylan).
Couldn't care less about what a player did here or somewhere else for a different role.
It's about how they fit the role expected next year.

Next year's center role is likely going to be much less relied upon for offensive production (see Ace/Dylan as options 1 and 2). More of a offensive facilitator away from the basket and keeping the ball moving.
Additionally, hopefully the offense our center can provide would be more perimeter based - to pull their defender marginally away from the paint and give more space to Ace/Dylan.

We don't need someone pouding the ball into the floor for 10 seconds trying to back down a defender while everyone else stands around.
We have other offensive options.

Now - how well does Clif fit that (proposed) role? That's for HC Pike to decide and also for Clif to accept.

Reactions: rubigtimenow

It’s really a matter of what these teams have as alternatives at the 5 on their rosters. Our choices are a true frosh and Ogbole so a kid who contributed 18+ minutes on a tournament UK team as a plus defender would project as our top option going into the season.

That doesn’t mean Somerville can’t come in and “surprise”, but we need D at the 5 to balance the ticket. A kid who had a higher recruiting rating, has a full season of experience in the SEC, and already proved he can play D would clearly start out ahead of him in my opinion.

We're gonna miss Cliff. Would love to see him on an up-tempo, fast breaking team, as that would play to his athletic strengths. Just imagine the alley oops from Harper and Ace. Too bad.
The alley oops to Nathan will be pretty good also.

Reactions: tm_nj
Cliff has amazing talent for dunks.
His other O ability is average at best.
He is not a good shooter.
He is not a good passer.
He does not have great hands.
He too often turned it over when doubled.
And he is a very good rim protector.
His rebounding was not great, partly because he doesn't have great hands.
Great rebounders have instinct for where the ball is going.
Great rebounders have desire for the ball.
He was good but not great.

Assuming you mean Lathan, I'll be pleasantly surprised if you see many of them. LS isn't an above the rim player. His dunks off the floor usually look like he's just getting there.
Yes…Lathan better have a good pump fake move to use against BIG bigs. He ain’t dunkin’ over people…but he should get quite a few And Ones.

Reactions: Scangg and zebnatto
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT