ADVERTISEMENT

Overachievers... Excellent coaching

Jerseylegends

Junior
Mar 15, 2023
I usually just read the board, but I felt the need to add my 2 cents to the discussion. When it started looking like RU wouldn't make the tournament I saw some posts here that seemed off base to me. Or as if some people were waiting for something negative so that they could talk down on the staff. Then I wasn't allowed to post for the probationary period. Smh

But coming into this season, I wasn't expecting much with RJ and Geo leaving. Those were the only players RU had with an offensive skill set. Wasn't expecting much from Simpson this year, Caleb McConnell and Paul mulcahy back court is a strong experienced back court, but was not expecting to be a potent offense or win many games this year. Cliff is an athlete who's developing a post package but has a long way to go.

After a slow start, the team starts to figure things out. And what they figured out was defensive pressure, full court. That was the teams best offense, frustrating the other team and forcing them into a turnover creating easy fast break buckets for an offensively challenged team. The most important part of that RU press is Mawat Mag.

Watching the games, holy sh*t, this man can cover some GROUND. I pray that he fully recovers from the acl because man. He would be picking up a guard full court, tight defense, they'd pass the ball and I swear he'd be there to trap the player the pass was thrown to as soon as the pass arrived. He made that press more dangerous with speed and energy. Plus right before the injury he was developing a solid jumper. But when he got hurt, the impact of the full court pressure was never the same. And the slide happens

Coaches had to figure out a new way to win. Enter Derek Simpson into the starting lineup and with him came speed. Can get you into your offense faster, can penetrate and kick, his energy made the offense better. Team looks better but missed out on the tournament then lost to Hofstra in the NIT.. I guess RU fans are more demanding now?

But pikell has brought this program a long, long way. Can't believe there are people on this board that think he's doing a bad job. Not to mention they are doing this when the school has a chance to bring in the type of recruits that can play the way you guys seem to want.

I usually just read the board, but I felt the need to add my 2 cents to the discussion. When it started looking like RU wouldn't make the tournament I saw some posts here that seemed off base to me. Or as if some people were waiting for something negative so that they could talk down on the staff. Then I wasn't allowed to post for the probationary period. Smh

But coming into this season, I wasn't expecting much with RJ and Geo leaving. Those were the only players RU had with an offensive skill set. Wasn't expecting much from Simpson this year, Caleb McConnell and Paul mulcahy back court is a strong experienced back court, but was not expecting to be a potent offense or win many games this year. Cliff is an athlete who's developing a post package but has a long way to go.

After a slow start, the team starts to figure things out. And what they figured out was defensive pressure, full court. That was the teams best offense, frustrating the other team and forcing them into a turnover creating easy fast break buckets for an offensively challenged team. The most important part of that RU press is Mawat Mag.

Watching the games, holy sh*t, this man can cover some GROUND. I pray that he fully recovers from the acl because man. He would be picking up a guard full court, tight defense, they'd pass the ball and I swear he'd be there to trap the player the pass was thrown to as soon as the pass arrived. He made that press more dangerous with speed and energy. Plus right before the injury he was developing a solid jumper. But when he got hurt, the impact of the full court pressure was never the same. And the slide happens

Coaches had to figure out a new way to win. Enter Derek Simpson into the starting lineup and with him came speed. Can get you into your offense faster, can penetrate and kick, his energy made the offense better. Team looks better but missed out on the tournament then lost to Hofstra in the NIT.. I guess RU fans are more demanding now?

But pikell has brought this program a long, long way. Can't believe there are people on this board that think he's doing a bad job. Not to mention they are doing this when the school has a chance to bring in the type of recruits that can play the way you guys seem to want.
Can't do meaningful analysis without mentioning Cam Spencer who was the only 3 point scoring threat

Good post.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Love the title of the thread. Good stuff even with the omission of Cam.
It's a great time to be a Rutgers Basketball Fan!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT