ADVERTISEMENT

Ownership

Dpgru

All Conference
Jan 17, 2015
Preseason in all sports is a time for excitement and hope. For this team and all (most) of the fans here there is a shared enthusiasm. But in all of the interviews I have heard or read, including from the three players at media day, there is something I find interesting and a little refreshing. The typical response, I believe, to questions about last year would in most cases be that last year is over and this is a new year and we are starting over. But in every case, be it a player or coach, including Ash himself, there has been an acknowledgment that the results last year were awful and that it was their responsibility and they were dedicated to changing it. I like the fact that they all seem to have accepted responsibility and are committed to righting the ship. They could easily have defelected questions about last year as being in the past but they have not. Hopefully this kind of acceptance of responsibility generates a focus that helps turn things around.

Agreed. But much like "chemistry" seems to disappear when you lose and suddenly re-emerge when you win, I'm not sure if this will translate into anything on the field. There is no direct correlation.

But it does speak to their character, a word we could not use during Flood's tenure very much. But, in a similar vein, when you talk about character with a winning program it's very different from talking about character in a losing one, as if it's the only thing we can hang our hat on. And, at the moment, it is.

Reactions: Dpgru
I think some sense of sameness is good. Can’t underestimate having the same offense 2 years in a row for the first time in 12 years or whatever. It’s like having a brand new QB. And you have so little film you have to learn as you go. That’s kinda why I hope carter gets some time but I think if he’s the full starter than it’s like learning brand new offense and we’re in the same shape as the last 10 years. Sitkowski could be the first QB ago play a second year in the same offense here in a long time

You have to, right?! No one can be happy with a one-win season. Particularly when you thought it was a team good enough to be bowl-bound. I’m sure he coaches were disappointed and communicated that to the players who are parroting that to the media. Nothing wrong with that. Here’s to hoping we have a better season this year.

Reactions: leonh71
You have to, right?! No one can be happy with a one-win season. Particularly when you thought it was a team good enough to be bowl-bound. I’m sure he coaches were disappointed and communicated that to the players who are parroting that to the media. Nothing wrong with that. Here’s to hoping we have a better season this year.

Actually my point is that you don't have to. Most teams, IMO, would simply avoid the issue of the previous year by saying it happened, it's over, and we are moving on. This group seems to have collectively acknowledged their role in the debacle that was last season and is addressing it head on. I like the approach. Will it translate to wins, I do not know. If their is a significant improvement was this approach part of the reason, I do not know. But, I like the attitude that says we screwed up. We know why and we are going to do better. When all three guys at the media day said that their goal was to be the most improved team in college football that was, to me, a recognition of the task at hand, and not just preseason lip service. That can't be bad.

Reactions: leonh71 and Wolv RU
Actually my point is that you don't have to. Most teams, IMO, would simply avoid the issue of the previous year by saying it happened, it's over, and we are moving on. This group seems to have collectively acknowledged their role in the debacle that was last season and is addressing it head on. I like the approach. Will it translate to wins, I do not know. If their is a significant improvement was this approach part of the reason, I do not know. But, I like the attitude that says we screwed up. We know why and we are going to do better. When all three guys at the media day said that their goal was to be the most improved team in college football that was, to me, a recognition of the task at hand, and not just preseason lip service. That can't be bad.

It likely stems from the top. Ash seemingly didn't take responsibility for anything prior to this current off season. Instead, it always seemed like he needed to burn the past down just for the sake of it, and that anything that happened was still working away from the dark past. Credit to him for changing and jumping into it head first this year. Hopefully it is enough to spark a sufficient turnaround.

Every year Ash’s teams have been bad and every preseason Ash has acknowledged it. I actually see no deviation from it with regards to him, he’s seemed to be willing to say that things were bad ‘last year,’ each year.

It actually scares me that the players are now talking like this. It’s fine to acknowledge it, but they seem to be doing that with a downtrodden sobriety, without a fire lit under them and a hunger to prove it all wrong this year. Maybe this is Ash’s subdued nature rubbing off on them, and they plan on moving forward with the silent belief in themselves that they will kill it this year. But I’d love to see a little more enthusiasm, there should be no doubt in them, just belief.

Just my take.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I guess it is good that Ash is taking ownership for last season's results now. But I certainly didn't get that impression during last season, at the end of the season, or during the season ticket renewal period. Back then it seemed that Ash was deflecting, and dismissing horrific results as just a bump in the road during the rebuilding process.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT