ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball pitching stat -- compare to last year

80RU

All Conference
Gold Member
Feb 1, 2011
Both last year and this year the team relied on two transfers to fill weekend rotation spots. Both last year's pair and this year's pair don't give up a ton of hits. But last year's pair gave up 61 total walks and HBP all season. This year's pair has given up 65 total walks and HBP ALREADY. Last year the team took almost twice as many HBPs as it gave up -- this year that has almost reversed. The team continues to substantially outhit the opponents, but last year the team also had an 85 point advantage in OBP and this year it is only 12.

I am thinking now more about the danger of having the rotation be so based on transfers and not on home grown talent -- no matter how great the coaching staff is, can they really always predict who will have control issues when they come in and they haven't had the opportunity to coach them up? I see that Coppola seems to be on the way to great things, and the late addition, Zask (sp?), is said to look like a star, but is missing the year after surgery.

So hopefully the staff is trending towards not having to rely on the transfers that they don't know that well to fill the starting rotation. When this happens, with the lineups they are putting together, the upward trajectory of the program will explode. They are already in the 30's in RPI, even with all the control problems on the staff. Going forward the sky is the limit if they can develop the staff.

Of course, if the transfers can get the ball over the plate in the second part of the season, we won't have to wait that long.

Pitching will have to be much better over the next 30 plus games. The overall potential to be a good team still is there and I agree with the take .We need more of the better instate pitchers to stay here rather than south. That will be the most difficult task for Owens and staff.

Reactions: LOU-RU85
Pitching will have to be much better over the next 30 plus games. The overall potential to be a good team still is there and I agree with the take .We need more of the better instate pitchers to stay here rather than south. That will be the most difficult task for Owens and staff.
I thought Maryland had stolen a future star Jersey boy (true freshman McCoy from Hunterdon Central), and I still think he will be very good, but he fell apart in the fifth inning yesterday and lost to Iowa, preventing the series sweep...

We are a Big Ten team. The idea that you focus on recruiting local athletes is nice, but outdated. Get the best possible talent, ignore geography.
Do you think Michigan baseball focuses on Michigan? They have talent from all over the map.

We are a Big Ten team. The idea that you focus on recruiting local athletes is nice, but outdated. Get the best possible talent, ignore geography.
Do you think Michigan baseball focuses on Michigan? They have talent from all over the map.

Just to be clear, in case it was not clear from the context, my reference to “homegrown“ was growing pitchers up in the program instead of relying on grad transfers etc., not a reference to geography.

My sentiments were meant as a response to RUBOB72, whose entries here I always read and enjoy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT