ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Chambers Out at PSU

Bet it's something woke involved. He an Pike seem the tightest of the B1G coaches. Wonder if he comes here in some capacity.

its a shame, but its likely stemming from what was going on earlier in the year when the racial charges were thrown out there by Bolton

They probably won’t even worry about a replacement until after the season

Last thing RU or Pike needs is to even consider this guy for anything.
Sh*t, this sounds like something that would happen here after all of our BB problems.

Reactions: shields
It wasn’t long ago that Chambers was mentioned as a replacement candidate for Danny Manning at Wake Forest.

I hope our staff can stay intact for 1 season until we can prove ourselves in the NCAA Tourney. Pat Chambers seems like a nice guy but I have no love for PSU in general.

the school just doesn’t give a crap about basketball. It’s like Alabama. It will always be that way.
You couldn't be more incorrect if you think Alabama doesn't give a crap about basketball.

You don't pay your Coach $2.4 million per year, provide private jets for recruiting trips & plan a major renovation of your arena if you don't "give a crap about basketball."

Reactions: Kbee3 and Smc1981
Chambers didn't handle his noose reference as well as should if he didn't mean it in a racial way and paid the price after a lengthy investigation.
Here's an article about the incident and I think Penn State did a disservice by waiting so long to fire Chambers if their investigation shown he meant the noose in a racial way.
Personally , from reading what Chambers said about his noose comment, I think he didn't and Penn St is overacting and showing reverse racial injustice.

>The day after the Wisconsin game, Chambers told Bolton he knew the freshman was under a lot of pressure and wanted to help him. Bolton recalls Chambers, who was on the hot seat due to the suspension and a 7-8 record at that point in the season, saying, “I want to be a stress reliever for you. You can talk to me about anything. I need to get some of this pressure off you.

“I want to loosen the noose that’s around your neck.”<

https://theundefeated.com/features/...sketball-coach-points-to-larger-ncaa-problem/

Unless there are other factors in play that we do not know about then this is a horrible PC decision by Penn State. For some reason if Joe had said that I don't think he would have been fired. Joe refers to Paterno not Biden! But the sentence works for either Joe.

I've managed to get through my adult life without making noose references, especially to minorities who may take offense to those references (for good reason). "Reverse racial injustice" isn't the problem here, it's Chambers' ignorance and poor judgment.
A good point, ignorance to how what he said would be taken might justify firing him.
In today's world, we all must consider what we say carefully and not disregard how it will be taken by the person(s) we are speaking to.

As for my racial injustice comment, it might seem insensitive to those offended by what Chambers said, but I feel there are times to look at what was really meant and try to work on improving how we interact with others without just looking just to punish.

Since Bolton's parents claim Chambers didn't apologize, that would be good reason to terminate him.
Especially since Chambers claimed he apologized

Chambers didn't handle his noose reference as well as should if he didn't mean it in a racial way and paid the price after a lengthy investigation.
Here's an article about the incident and I think Penn State did a disservice by waiting so long to fire Chambers if their investigation shown he meant the noose in a racial way.
Personally , from reading what Chambers said about his noose comment, I think he didn't and Penn St is overacting and showing reverse racial injustice.

>The day after the Wisconsin game, Chambers told Bolton he knew the freshman was under a lot of pressure and wanted to help him. Bolton recalls Chambers, who was on the hot seat due to the suspension and a 7-8 record at that point in the season, saying, “I want to be a stress reliever for you. You can talk to me about anything. I need to get some of this pressure off you.

https://theundefeated.com/features/...sketball-coach-points-to-larger-ncaa-problem/

I didn’t read the article you linked but that noose quote seems awfully benign. Certainly not grounds for firing.

You couldn't be more incorrect if you think Alabama doesn't give a crap about basketball.

You don't pay your Coach $2.4 million per year, provide private jets for recruiting trips & plan a major renovation of your arena if you don't "give a crap about basketball."

My daughter went to school there for one year and the students didn’t even know when the games were. I’ve been to game there also and have been on campus many times. They had a good team and couldn’t get people in the building. It was all about football. Anyway, the streets are lined with gold at that school. They try to throw money at coaches but it just doesn’t matter. The campus is apathetic to the sport. In the middle of basketball season, there are signs around campus counting down the days to football. The money they throw around is inconceivable at Rutgers. Absolutely gorgeous campus though.

My daughter went to school there for one year and the students didn’t even know when the games were. I’ve been to game there also and have been on campus many times. They had a good team and couldn’t get people in the building. It was all about football. Anyway, the streets are lined with gold at that school. They try to throw money at coaches but it just doesn’t matter. The campus is apathetic to the sport. In the middle of basketball season, there are signs around campus counting down the days to football. The money they throw around is inconceivable at Rutgers. Absolutely gorgeous campus though.
Is the culture at the University of Alabama based around the football program? Oh, abso-freaking-lutely.

That is not even debatable.

But your assertion is that the university doesn't "give a crap about basketball" and that is just absolutely not true.

They want to return to what they were doing in the early part of this century when they went to five consecutive NCAA tournaments and made it to the Elite 8 in 2004.

In the 2019-20 season Alabama averaged 10,648 people per home game (arena holds a smidge over 15k) and, I'm told, they had a few sellouts.

Bama had a top-10 recruiting class in 2020 and could have another top-10 recruiting class this cycle. They might have a lottery pick in this year's NBA Draft.
Don't give a crap about basketball? 🤔😂

Reactions: RUDave_01
Is the culture at the University of Alabama based around the football program? Oh, abso-freaking-lutely.

That is not even debatable.

But your assertion is that the university doesn't "give a crap about basketball" and that is just absolutely not true.

They want to return to what they were doing in the early part of this century when they went to five consecutive NCAA tournaments and made it to the Elite 8 in 2004.

In the 2019-20 season Alabama averaged 10,648 people per home game (arena holds a smidge over 15k) and, I'm told, they had a few sellouts.

Bama had a top-10 recruiting class in 2020 and could have another top-10 recruiting class this cycle. They might have a lottery pick in this year's NBA Draft.
Don't give a crap about basketball? 🤔😂

Guess it depends on who “they” is. Does the administration put resources in....“yes”. Does the student body give a damn...what I witnesssed was a a resounding “no”. Its not like it was uncool for students to go to the games, it’s more like students didn’t know or care that there was a game.
It’s a relative thing as well. I compared it to Penn State, because like Penn State, they have they have a premier football program and relatively speaking there is almost no enthusiasm for basketball. Unlike Michigan and others where they care deeply about both.

Reactions: Igniteshield

A good point, ignorance to how what he said would be taken might justify firing him.
In today's world, we all must consider what we say carefully and not disregard how it will be taken by the person(s) we are speaking to.

As for my racial injustice comment, it might seem insensitive to those offended by what Chambers said, but I feel there are times to look at what was really meant and try to work on improving how we interact with others without just looking just to punish.

Since Bolton's parents claim Chambers didn't apologize, that would be good reason to terminate him.
Especially since Chambers claimed he apologized

Your privilege is showing.

Reactions: ejgonz
There are many schools that do not care much about basketball...

schools with HUGE enrollments that can’t even sellout a small student section.

state penn is certainly one of them

This smells to me like they did the investigation, turned some stuff up, and offered him the chance to resign rather than being fired and having it all come out. I don't think it's anything SO bad, but at least he keeps his reputation a bit in tact.

Remember, he got in some hot water for shoving a player 2-3 seasons ago as well.

Rutgers fans ! We love chambers . Posts on this board prove it. He waxed poetic many times about pike and the Rac . This is a sad day for many fans

Rutgers fans ! We love chambers . Posts on this board prove it. He waxed poetic many times about pike and the Rac . This is a sad day for many fans

I think that's why many of us considered him to be a good guy. He seemed to go out of his way to compliment our team/ arena.

High major schools generally don't hire college assistants from other schools to be first-time head coaches. The lone exception in the Big 10 is Chris Collins who had a billion connections through his dad and Coach K.

I feel kind of bad for Chambers. He seemed like a decent guy. Everyone makes mistakes in their lives.
maybe you should wait and see before making judgments. the post above made it sound like recruiting violation.

He had gotten PSU BB to a higher level, especially recently. But they were expected to step back this season. I'd imagine that they will be able to hire a higher level coach given the track record of the past few seasons. There is potential in that job, as much as I hate to admit it. I'd like them to be perennial losers in the B1G.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT