ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State football players give a list of demands to Big Ten Commissioner

Mar 1, 2022
The best part? They want revenue sharing ... but they want to cut womens sports (and all other non-revenue generating sports) out of the deal. I can't wait to hear Megan Rapinoe and Brittney Griner's thoughts.

cfbpa.jpg

The best part? They want revenue sharing ... but they want to cut womens sports (and all other non-revenue generating sports) out of the deal. I can't wait to hear Megan Rapinoe and Brittney Griner's thoughts.

cfbpa.jpg
Sorry, but Brittney Griner can't chime in at the moment!
Crazy Ex Girlfriend Yes GIF

Just declare pro leagues and stop pretending
Drop mandatory classes, graduation rates and other legacy artifacts of college football
Its dollars over everything now
"College Football" my eye.
Fans should strike but their dead from neck up too

Unlimited free agency. Collective bargaining. Compensation negotiations. NIL. The closer “college” athletics gets to professional sports, the weaker the unique attributes that attract fans to college sports will become. Todays collective media rights distribution will lead to tomorrow’s demands for unequal sharing of revenue by team and player.

And then, as the uniqueness wanes, why shouldn’t we just focus on actual professional athletes as opposed to the inferior product offered by these second tier professionals?

Unlimited free agency. Collective bargaining. Compensation negotiations. NIL. The closer “college” athletics gets to professional sports, the weaker the unique attributes that attract fans to college sports will become. Todays collective media rights distribution will lead to tomorrow’s demands for unequal sharing of revenue by team and player.

And then, as the uniqueness wanes, why shouldn’t we just focus on actual professional athletes as opposed to the inferior product offered by these second tier professionals?
Well said, I used to cry listening to the glee club sing our Alma Mater.
Yankees in playoffs, NY Rangers and RU basketball will fill my fall and winter nicely.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
Just declare pro leagues and stop pretending
Drop mandatory classes, graduation rates and other legacy artifacts of college football
Its dollars over everything now
"College Football" my eye.
Fans should strike but their dead from neck up too
post of the year!......well done sir

I actually respect our young fans here who don’t truly understand what college tradition, devotion and fanaticism is all about.
Their remedy for pay for play is find a donor with a billion dollars who wants to pay high school kids hundreds of thousands of dollars just to commit to Rutgers.
In their mind, and it’s true….you’ve got to keep up and evolve with the times.
I get it.
Just not for me

To be fair, this all started with coaches making huge salaries. Of course everyone else was going to look on and say why does coach make $7 million per year and I can't even be given sneakers? Once again too much money at the top is harming America. If you have a few people getting filthy rich and everyone else getting peanuts by comparison it will breed resentment and eventually action.

What a disaster NIL is. What these kids think their owed is ridiculous. Revenue is not profit. You make 100k a year as an 18 year old as it is. They already get medical care.

And Rutgers Athletics will make $100m/year in media revenue alone - but still can't spare a nickel at all because there is no profit?

Doesn't really seem like the "college sports" model was sustainable anyway then.

Reactions: socaldave
To be fair, this all started with coaches making huge salaries. Of course everyone else was going to look on and say why does coach make $7 million per year and I can't even be given sneakers? Once again too much money at the top is harming America. If you have a few people getting filthy rich and everyone else getting peanuts by comparison it will breed resentment and eventually action.
But you are given sneakers?

Along with a whole bunch of other stuff on a list that seems to be getting longer and longer all the time.

I actually respect our young fans here who don’t truly understand what college tradition, devotion and fanaticism is all about.
Their remedy for pay for play is find a donor with a billion dollars who wants to pay high school kids hundreds of thousands of dollars just to commit to Rutgers.
In their mind, and it’s true….you’ve got to keep up and evolve with the times.
I get it.
Just not for me

I'm one of those "younger" fans (late 30s).

College sports tradition is frequently changing conferences, teams only caring about themselves and making as much money as possible.
Rampant cheating and paying players under the table.
A completely unfair landscape.
Private donor donations - see the next $30m donation for a stadium upgrade, or donors paying a HC buy out.

Players and NIL can't ruin an already broken system.
They are literally following the model the schools and conferences have been for 30 years.

Along with a whole bunch of other stuff on a list that seems to be getting longer and longer all the time.

So you agree players are and have always been getting paid?

Ok, now do the accounting and see if the benefits have been keeping track with money coming in?

As you say, do get more benefits than before. Question is now whether that is it enough and equitable?
Rutgers media revenue is set to double in a year.

Ok, now do the accounting and see if the benefits have been keeping track with money coming in?

As you say, do get more benefits than before. Question is now whether that is it enough and equitable?
The scholarship athlete has been compensated pretty good for a while now. Especially in Football, MBB and WBB too.

If you want to call that being paid, so be it. 🤷‍♂️

The scholarship athlete has been compensated pretty good for a while now.

If you want to call that being paid, so be it. 🤷‍♂️

What does "pretty good" mean though?
And is that "pretty good" still equate to "pretty good" when Rutgers is making over 100m in media revenue?

This is the "why do athletes need to make so much money. Just be happy" all over again.
Because everyone else in the sport is making the money hand over fist and it keeps going up.

• Haha
Reactions: Leonard23

That's not much compared to 4 year, $26 million salaries even if you do a horrible job like our last coach did. If a player does that poorly he might get booted from the team altogether. The coach walks away rich. Another huge double standard.

I'm one of those "younger" fans (late 30s).

College sports tradition is frequently changing conferences, teams only caring about themselves and making as much money as possible.
Rampant cheating and paying players under the table.
A completely unfair landscape.
Private donor donations - see the next $30m donation for a stadium upgrade, or donors paying a HC buy out.

Players and NIL can't ruin an already broken system.
They are literally following the model the schools and conferences have been for 30 years.
Nick-
I only need one example, you can obviously dispute it if you like.
The old landscape still allowed GS to assemble and keep an NFL level laden team and keep it that way for several years.
Whatever “under the table” stuff happening around the world of college football back then, still allowed us to recruit and keep NFL level players all over the field.
Not happening today, so that is a big difference to me

We’re going to tell our grandchildren how wonderful college sports used to be.

I said it in another thread, Clifford has no idea what he's asking for. These aren't football or basketball franchises he's dealing with, these are Athletic Departments. The proposal is not well thought out and psu's education has failed him. If he did just a fraction of research, he would know Title IX makes this a nonstarter.

Rutgers undergraduate scholarship football players get paid the full cost of attendance covering tuition, room, board, books, fees, etc. totaling $36,267 (on campus housing) or $44,619 (off campus housing) for in-state students, and $53,851 (on campus housing) or $61,691 (off campus housing) for out-of-state students...

AND all of the free gear (sneakers, cleats, shorts, shirts, etc.), unlimited snack stations and meals, stipends, transportation, and special trips...

AND unlimited free healthcare (not just surgeries and Rxs, but chiropractic, massage therapy, training, nutritionists, and other preventative and rehabilitative care) and tutoring during college....

AND many other benefits.

Sure, let's give them revenue sharing and start charging for all the other stuff.

Last edited:
That's not much compared to 4 year, $26 million salaries even if you do a horrible job like our last coach did. If a player does that poorly he might get booted from the team altogether. The coach walks away rich. Another huge double standard.
Totally ignoring the free education aspect of it at 80 k per year at many schools. But sneakers

Rutgers undergraduate scholarship football players get paid the full cost of attendance covering tuition, room, board, books, fees, etc. totaling $36,267 (on campus housing) or $44,619 (off campus housing) for in-state students, and $53,851 (on campus housing) or $61,691 (off campus housing) for out-of-state students...

AND all of the free gear (sneakers, cleats, shorts, shirts, etc.), unlimited snack stations and meals, stipends, transportation, and special trips...

AND unlimited free healthcare (not just surgeries and Rxs, but chiropractic, massage therapy, training and other preventative and rehabilitative care) and tutoring during college....

AND many other benefits.

Sure, let's give them revenue sharing and start charging for all the other stuff.
Revenue sharing and scholarships don’t go together.
Collect your entry level signing bonus and subsequent renegotiations every year and pay your own way

That's not much compared to 4 year, $26 million salaries even if you do a horrible job like our last coach did.
And most of that tab is picked up by boosters. Just like the NIL's are picked up by boosters.

Reactions: RU2131
That part I can kind of understand because in reality, especially now in our case, the player is really coming for Greg Schiano and not “Rutgers” to play here. Which is why they are paid what they ate

Hopefully some day it’s the other way around.

So while I can sympathize with the scholarship athlete, the one with the B1G guaranteed 4yr ride, no one held a gun to your head, this wasn’t a draft and you knew going in that could possibly happen…your coach leaves.

What does "pretty good" mean though?
And is that "pretty good" still equate to "pretty good" when Rutgers is making over 100m in media revenue?

This is the "why do athletes need to make so much money. Just be happy" all over again.
Because everyone else in the sport is making the money hand over fist and it keeps going up.
The “pretty good” was defined earlier in the thread by @Leonard23.

And after reading his post my pretty good has been upgraded to “pretty awesome” for the revenue sport scholarship athlete.

And if we’re talking about equity of that $100M, let’s start with those who have actually won (with a capital W) something like Field Hockey, WSOC and MLAX.

Reactions: RU-AGK

AND unlimited free healthcare (not just surgeries and Rxs, but chiropractic, massage therapy, training, nutritionists, and other preventative and rehabilitative care) and tutoring during college....

AND many other benefits.

If you are convinced that what the players are already receiving is a fair and equitable share, then allowing them to collectively bargain should not scare you. The players believe they are worth more. What is wrong with allowing them to determine their true value in negotiations.

I think the problem is that we all understand these players are bringing in billions of dollars a year in revenue and have historically been cut out of the process.

• Haha
Reactions: Leonard23
What a disaster NIL is. What these kids think their owed is ridiculous. Revenue is not profit. You make 100k a year as an 18 year old as it is. They already get medical care.
All players are required to have their own Medical insurance. Any injuries go through their insurance(parents) as primary and then through the school as secondary.
But the real issue is medical care for injuries during their career after they are out of school.

• Wow
Reactions: rurichdog
If you are convinced that what the players are already receiving is a fair and equitable share, then allowing them to collectively bargain should not scare you. The players believe they are worth more. What is wrong with allowing them to determine their true value in negotiations.

I think the problem is that we all understand these players are bringing in billions of dollars a year in revenue and have historically been cut out of the process.
Did they all just show up one day at the Hale Center or the RWJ Barnabas and say, “Hi, I’m looking for a job. Got an application?”

Someone and something put a lot of work, time and money in trying to land them.

The compensation for those chosen few is more than comparable considering what is asked of them…all the things listed by @Leonard23 above PLUS the ability to showcase your individual talents in national televised appearances in almost every contest for “graduate” work in the NFL or NBA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT