ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State Kicker targeted 2 separate weeks, 2 players ejected.

Late hit. Ejections were both deserved even if he flopped on both. The players probably would have been ejected even if he didn't flop b/c there were both after the whistle but he drew a ton of attention to it but laying on the ground like that.

Reactions: kjb32812
So do all 10 other players on special teams deserve to be hit late after the whistle? What kind of logic is that? Will you try and say kick returners who try to return the ball deserve to be hit after the whistle? There nothing in the rules that says he can not cover kicks or he can't be blocked. Simply covering kick doesn't mean you deserve cheap shots. I find it ironic that both opposing coaches agreed that it was a cheap shot and uncalled for but fans are trying to defend it.

It's, "I hate Penn State" logic.

My favorite was that his father should sit him down and have a talk with him for flopping.

raw

Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy

My favorite was that his father should sit him down and have a talk with him for flopping.

raw
Seriously? If you're a dad you wouldn't have that conversation with your son? It's called proper sportsmanship and you should teach it to your kids. At least that's the way I honestly feel. Cheating is not the way to win. Faking an injury to draw penalties is not the way to win. Of course some believe a win is a win and if you are not cheating, than you are not trying. I belive cheating for a win isn't really winning no matter what the final score says. As a father, that's waht I always taught. I guess you taught yours something else.

raw

hey, LOTS of RU folks here agreeing with the calls. I do. And I agree, his MOM ought to talk to him about the flopping thing.
Come on... (I hate but) respect your team but there is no place in American Football for flopping. Doing THAT is how you're really going to get lit up.

Reactions: kjb32812
Late hits where the players went out of their way to find and take the kicker out on dead balls or fair catches is dirty. Who cares if he tries to make a play down field. Hes playing football. I think the kicker is fun to watch and only makes the game better. Everyone complaining about him being a "punk" or "faker" would cry bloody murder if it happened to our kicker.

Cool.

After the whistle blows on a play, I hope Marcus Allen decleats one of your WRs.

You can't run up and clock someone 3-5 seconds after the whistle blows. If you think that is okay then you're simply not very bright.

And when in my post did i say late hits were legal? My point is HES A 300 POUND PERSON who wants to play badass. It doesnt matter if it was 3 seconds after the play, the dude flops Like hell. Youre acting like someone wacked him from behind with a crowbar. You know damn well he wasnt that effected by those hits and so does he. Stop playing dumb.

And im not sure why youre bringing our WR into this. You see, the difference between our wr and your kicker, is that our wr dont weigh 300lbs and fly down the field end to end trying to shatter peoples collarbones. Your boy wants to be this tough guy skullcrusher on ballcarriers and then goes coward when someone his size checks him. Lame.

He's 260, not 300. If he was 300 the guys he laid out from Kent State and Michigan might not have been able to walk off the field.

He's 260, not 300. If he was 300 the guys he laid out from Kent State and Michigan might not have been able to walk off the field.

Reactions: LSRF
And when in my post did i say late hits were legal? My point is HES A 300 POUND PERSON who wants to play badass. It doesnt matter if it was 3 seconds after the play, the dude flops Like hell. Youre acting like someone wacked him from behind with a crowbar. You know damn well he wasnt that effected by those hits and so does he. Stop playing dumb.

And im not sure why youre bringing our WR into this. You see, the difference between our wr and your kicker, is that our wr dont weigh 300lbs and fly down the field end to end trying to shatter peoples collarbones. Your boy wants to be this tough guy skullcrusher on ballcarriers and then goes coward when someone his size checks him. Lame.

More sound reasoning. I'll change my comments. I hope our S comes up and cracks your TE 3-5 seconds after the play.

That make you feel better? Like I said, some people commenting on this just aren't very bright.

Reactions: MV9000

Have you even played football let alone at the division 1 level? We have a lot of tough guys in this thread who probably couldn't take a hit and stay up when prepared let alone after the whistle when your not protecting yourself. I would love to see you guys take these hit and see how fast you bounce up from it. I bet all of you would change your opinion that he flopping.

As a former punter, you usually have a lot less equipment (protection!) than other players so you can move more easily. Although you can certainly become a defender when necessary, you are taking a chance with a collision. Kind of like a SUV and a mini.

Kickers get told they're not real football players.

Then a kicker plays a little football and teams get upset.

People are funny.
It's one of those unwritten rules not to go after the kicker.

But that trust is null and void if the kicker actively participates in the play.

The same "gentlemen's agreement" exists for QB's when they throw an INT and the play starts going the other way.

If the QB actively puts himself in the play, he's fair game.

15126371178_e347552b71_o.gif

It's one of those unwritten rules not to go after the kicker.

But that trust is null and void if the kicker actively participates in the play.

The same "gentlemen's agreement" exists for QB's when they throw an INT and the play starts going the other way.

If the QB actively puts himself in the play, he's fair game.

Thanks for the enlightening post.

Allow me to repeat what so many others have said: Julius should expect contact given the way he's playing. The way he's playing does not make it OK for other teams to take him out after and/or away from the play. Doing so will result in a deserved penalty.

I hope he keeps drawing these penalties - avoiding injury, of course - because they give PSU better field position and seem to inject some energy into the rest of the team.

Allow me to repeat what so many others have said: Julius should expect contact given the way he's playing. The way he's playing does not make it OK for other teams to take him out after and/or away from the play. Doing so will result in a deserved penalty.

I hope he keeps drawing these penalties - avoiding injury, of course - because they give PSU better field position and seem to inject some energy into the rest of the team.
I watched Eric LeGrand get carted off the field.

I will never forget the popping sound associated with that collision for the rest of my life.

I hope your kicker realizes that he's voluntarily putting himself directly in harm's way in what's arguably the most dangerous play in the game.

And for what? So he can fire up the team and better field position?

F = ma.

Even if he's 300lbs, a 230lb backup linebacker running at top speed is going to do damage to a guy jogging down the field.

I will never forget the popping sound associated with that collision for the rest of my life.

I hope your kicker realizes that he's voluntarily putting himself directly in harm's way in what's arguably the most dangerous play in the game.

F = ma.

Even if he's 300lbs, a 230lb backup linebacker running at top speed is going to do damage to a guy jogging down the field.

The injury LeGrand suffered was obviously awful, but how are you comparing that - a freak injury that had devastating consequences, but one that could have occurred on any number of plays, to anyone - to Julius covering a kick?

First, he's 260 pounds. He's capable of absorbing physical contact just as much as a 210-pound defensive back who plays on the coverage team. But that's not what this conversation is about:

The bottom line is, if he gets hit in the act of covering a kick, reasonably close to the play, and before the play is over, that is one thing. No issues whatsoever with that. We are talking about hits that occurred after the play and 20 or 30 yards from the ball. Just because he's a kicker not hanging back near midfield doesn't mean he's fair game for illegal hits. End of discussion.

The kicker for PSU has made headlines for being a tackling machine on kick offs but other teams are starting to come after him. What are your thoughts on some of these hits against him after plays?

AND

Audio on that Minny hit is synced so that it appears announcer is calling that in real time, but the video is in slow motion. I'd like to see it in real time.

If you just listen to the Minny play, you hear the whistle then the fan reaction, it's maybe 1 or 2 seconds.

Not saying that's legal, but couple that with a flop, and then kicker playing opossum, I'd say ejection was not called for.

F = ma.

But apparently if said linebacker knocks him down then it's just him flopping.

If you just listen to the Minny play, you hear the whistle then the fan reaction, it's maybe 1 or 2 seconds.

Not saying that's legal, but couple that with a flop, and then kicker playing opossum, I'd say ejection was not called for.

So if he was just playing possum, why would he stay down long after the flags were thrown? You guys that just know what he was feeling and doing are too funny.

So if he was just playing possum, why would he stay down long after the flags were thrown? You guys that just know what he was feeling and doing are too funny.
Does this argument work in soccer too?

He flopped, it's pretty obvious, then he kept the charade going a little longer. Too his credit the ref's bought it.

I saw the Minnesota play live. The hit happened nowhere near the ball (I believe the kick resulted in a touchback), but I was watching Julius the entire play because of the antics that occurred on earlier kickoffs. I thought he would 100% be entering concussion protocol, but the hit didn't look as vicious on replay as it did in the stadium.

Didn't see the Maryland play as it happened because I was at another commitment and checking the game periodically.

Regardless, you hit someone after/away from the play, you get flagged. Especially in this day and age with head injuries and player safety. Everything else - flopping, his weight, that he hit a couple of guys himself, etc. - is meaningless.

The injury LeGrand suffered was obviously awful, but how are you comparing that - a freak injury that had devastating consequences, but one that could have occurred on any number of plays, to anyone - to Julius covering a kick? Because he's pretty much excused from contact by default unless he decides to partake in the play beyond kicking the ball.

First, he's 260 pounds. He's capable of absorbing physical contact just as much as a 210-pound defensive back who plays on the coverage team. You're going to need to brush up on inelastic collisions. He only has a 20lb advantage (if that) on a guy running twice as fast... But that's not what this conversation is about:

The bottom line is, if he gets hit in the act of covering a kick, reasonably close to the play, and before the play is over, that is one thing. No issues whatsoever with that. Agree. We are talking about hits that occurred after the play and 20 or 30 yards from the ball. Just because he's a kicker not hanging back near midfield doesn't mean he's fair game for illegal hits. True. But if he doesn't hang back in midfield, he'll be treated like any of the other players. In other words: keep your head on a swivel. End of discussion.

The Minnesota Coach thought otherwise. Before they even ejected him they took his helmet and he was not going back to the game. It was more than that after the play and it was not even part of the play.

Minnesota head coach Tracy Claeys :
“ I will handle the situation. Nobody has more pride and care about the game of football than me,” Claeys said. “There may be some that have equal, but I care about the game. I care about protecting the game, and I don’t believe in that crap,” he continued. “But I will take care of it, so anybody who thinks we coach that does not know us. This is a great game. It’s helped a hell of a lot of people. You’re also dealing with kids that are doing things, and there are consequences for decisions.”

Maryland head coach D.J. Durkin:
"I want to make sure everyone understands something. If he wasn't thrown out of the game, he was [going to be] removed from the game by me. He would not have played another snap of that game in any phase. That is not our program, we will not do that, and obviously I do not do a good enough job conveying that to them."

Last edited:

So in summation, you're saying that any kicker who attempts to actually make a play - even if they are more capable of making said play than the average kicker - should expect to suffer targeted hits after and away from the play? Got it.

Fortunately the officials and coaches like Claeys and Durkin see it differently.

And don't hide behind the "treated like any other player" argument, because these were not instances of that. This is a case of guys trying to make an example out of a kicker because he laid out a couple of dudes earlier this season. Julius wasn't being blocked on these plays like any other player; he was picked out specifically and hit.

Last edited:
The Minnesota Coach thought otherwise. Before they even ejected him they took his helmet and he was not going back to the game. It was more than that after the play and it was not even part of the play.
Listen to video, it's a little less then 2 seconds. No where near the 5 or 6 some one was saying b4.

Listen to video, it's a little less then 2 seconds. No where near the 5 or 6 some one was saying b4.

It also happened about 25-30 yards from the ball, which was in the end zone. It was one of the easiest flags that official will ever have to throw. How is this even a discussion?

So in summation, you're saying that any kicker who attempts to actually make a play - even if they are more capable of making said play than the average kicker - should expect to suffer targeted hits after and away from the play? Got it.

Fortunately the officials and coaches like Claeys and Durkin see it differently.

And don't hide behind the "treated like any other player" argument, because these were not instances of that. This is a case of guys trying to make an example out of a kicker because he laid out a couple of dudes earlier this season. Julius wasn't being blocked on these plays like any other player; he was picked out specifically and hit.
Exactly.

He has a reputation of wanting to play with the big boys. He can't just go back to the kiddie table.

Exactly.

He has a reputation of wanting to play with the big boys. He can't just go back to the kiddie table.

I'm going to make this very clear so I understand completely how you feel about this:

If Joey Julius runs down the field to cover a kickoff against Rutgers, are you advocating for one of your players to intentionally target Julius away from the play, and after the whistle, in what would have to be considered an attempt to injure?

Last edited:
Vegas: Absolutely not.

The message to your kicker was already delivered. No need to pile one at this point.

Listen, self policing happens in other sports too. If a power hitter crowds the plate, he's risking a plunking, rules be damned.

He should not be targeted because he is a kicker who has made plays. And he should not be hit late. Those two things are clear.

But if he is willing to go out there and make big hits, then don't flop. And I do think the flop played into the ejection.

My timeline argument was really against the idea that it was 5-7 seconds after the play. It was not. 2 seconds. Still illegal though, but if we are talking which is worse? I'd say the Maryland one. That did look to be waaayyy late.

F = ma.

The more accurate equation would be 1/2 * m(v)squared

Reactions: miketd1
It also happened about 25-30 yards from the ball, which was in the end zone. It was one of the easiest flags that official will ever have to throw. How is this even a discussion?
My response was more to the poster who said it was 5-7 seconds after the whistle. No way on that. So that's part of the discussion.

I think a flag is clear, but ejection maybe not so much. But thinking about it, because he was focusing in on a single player for reasons other then doing his job I can see it.

On the other hand, he's a monster flopper.

One thing as per Minny and Md coaches.

One does wonder what was said during video sessions to these special teamers. How forcefully were coaches saying "this guy MUST be accounted for"?

Vegas: Absolutely not.

The message to your kicker was already delivered. No need to pile one at this point.

Listen, self policing happens in other sports too. If a power hitter crowds the plate, he's risking a plunking, rules be damned.

OK, at least you're not that much of a lunatic.

I expect Julius to continue playing in the manner he has thus far, so if one of your players does target him in a manner inconsistent with the rest of the play, I expect to see you here excoriating that player for his actions, given your answer above.

OK, at least you're not that much of a lunatic.

I expect Julius to continue playing in the manner he has thus far, so if one of your players does target him in a manner inconsistent with the rest of the play, I expect to see you here excoriating that player for his actions, given your answer above.
Hey, he looks like the kind of kid that would be loved if he wore scarlet and white.

But he doesn't, so... head on a swivel. :boxing:

I think that's a fair assessment. Like I said before, he's the type of guy you love if he's on your team and hate if he's on another team in your division. Being a huge hockey fan, I'm used to guys that play this role, they've long been an integral part of the game. College football, not so much. That's why a lot of the purists dislike him so much.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT