ADVERTISEMENT

Perception and reality of Omoruyi

Maybe so but maybe he’s in a better system here. Maybe Pike has a way of developing him better. Maybe a change of scenery was all he needed....

Shaka Smart has a bad system in Texas?
Shaka Smart can’t develop people like Pikiell?
Change of scenery=different depth chart

Most fans have become completely delusional.

Montez Mathis.....the guy that looks the part and very few mention him

Reactions: bac2therac
Higher levels of play? As in professional? Wouldn't that make him ineligible to play amateur D1 sports?

No. He played as an amateur on Alba Berlin’s team just like his brother did. But unlike Mo Wagner he actually played a good amount of minutes even in Euroleague games on a team with guys like Payton Siva and Derrick Walton.

I think our success will lie primarily on the guys we saw on the court last year. Yeboah, Young and Mulcahy give us depth. Maybe 1 surprises Non RU fans to the upside.

Yeboah and Young aren't there for just depth. They both might be starters so you're already way off. Yeboah is essentially a lock to start. Mods have said Young may be the team MVP or leading scorer.

You just don't like the "narrative" that fans like new players so you are discounting or devaluing new players despite what their talent level and expected role is to realistically be. You're trying too hard and overcompensating in the other direction. Yeboah and Young being just depth guys is another classic FIG terrible take

Mods have said Young may be the team MVP or leading scorer.
Mods have said Peter Kiss may be the team MVP or leading scorer.
Mods have said Nigel Johnson may be the team MVP or leading scorer.
Mods have said Wally Judge may be the team MVP or leading scorer.

Mods have said Peter Kiss may be the team MVP or leading scorer.
Mods have said Nigel Johnson may be the team MVP or leading scorer.
Mods have said Wally Judge may be the team MVP or leading scorer.

Don't forget Tyler Goode! Was knocking down everything in practice while sitting out. Hopefully Young, Yeboah and Mulcahy will all be contributors whether starters or not.

Don't forget Tyler Goode! Was knocking down everything in practice while sitting out. Hopefully Young, Yeboah and Mulcahy will all be contributors whether starters or not.

There is no doubt that Yeboah and Young will be contributors, and probably Mulcahy. I think at least 2 out of 3 will have a hand, in a big way, with at least a few victories.

Most fans have become completely delusional.

Montez Mathis.....the guy that looks the part and very few mention him

You're looking at it strictly from the Texas perspective.: Texas-this, Texas-that. I took a Jacob young perspective. As in from his point of view (since you missed that nuance.)

Maybe it's a better system for Young, not that Texas has a better system than Rutgers. Shaka Smart does what he does, Pike does what he does. Maybe Young and Pike have a better relationship than Young and Smart.

You're syllogistically thinking it's a one for one aspect - that all coaches coach the same way and you know they don't.

I can see why some here think you're negative...it's not what you say, it's how you say it. I'm not delusional one iota. I prefer not to do your "Ready Fire Aim" approach is all.

Why are you injecting yourself. We are talking about my "terrible takes".

Can you cite an example of a "terrible take" where I have been wrong?
Sorry, I haven't been keeping a list, but if you want you can start counting from here on out. You can get a pass on all previous takes and start here with 1

Baker, Young, McConnell, RHJ, Johnson. I could see that five getting a lot of minutes.

Reactions: Scangg

I was told by someone INSIDE the program that Justin Goode was "the best shooter to come to Rutgers since Bobby Lloyd".

I see both sides. I agree with @Scangg because I hate people that are just simply dismissive of new players because of previous examples and on the flip side long time fans like @Greene Rice FIG are sick of hearing it. Famous last words but with this coach it does feel like this time it’s different. Time will tell.

Maybe so but maybe he’s in a better system here. Maybe Pike has a way of developing him better. Maybe a change of scenery was all he needed....

While I'm still in an "I'll believe it when I see it" mode with Young, I don't think it's a matter of moving from a "bad" to a "better" system in a general sense - just that it might be a better system for Young's skillset / style of play. It seems like Smart was using Young in a way that resulted in a ton of threes and not many free throws - he might do better being used in a different way. Or not, of course.

Projecting transfers is extremely hard to do. James Palmer's numbers at Miami are nothing like his numbers at Nebraska.

Reactions: shields
I was told by someone INSIDE the program that Justin Goode was "the best shooter to come to Rutgers since Bobby Lloyd".

I see both sides. I agree with @Scangg because I hate people that are just simply dismissive of new players because of previous examples and on the flip side long time fans like @Greene Rice FIG are sick of hearing it. Famous last words but with this coach it does feel like this time it’s different. Time will tell.

Well since Lloyd played in the 60's that person who told you that is old and probably has Alzheimers.:smiley:

Sorry, I haven't been keeping a list, but if you want you can start counting from here on out. You can get a pass on all previous takes and start here with 1

You say another terrible take and cant name one time I have been wrong.

I am not dismissive of new players because of the past.

I try to look at things objectively.

My concerns about Young are based on raw stats and the fact that he wasn't playing a lot of minutes until an injury occurred.

Yeboah is about making a major jump in competition, being undersized, and bad shooting numbers.

Obviously Keith Hughes and Earl Duncan worked out OK and they couldn't get minutes with Syracuse

Montez Mathis brings something to the floor that no one else can. If Mathis doesn't get/earn major minutes I think we are in trouble.
He struggled shooting last year. I don’t think he is a lock. He will have to of improved just like Baker had to this off season as well.From an athleticism perspective, he and Young are similar. I believe Baker has become more versatile this off season. I have noticed from training videos that are out there.

Reactions: shields
Not sold on Young just yet. He is seemingly a great kid, though. I hope he doesn’t really well for himself. How is adjust to a team game though will decide his fate. The tools are there.

Reactions: MADHAT1
If Mathis can improve his shot selection and his shot % slightly, he will be a tough B1G player to handle for other teams. His D and his ability to go to the basket is high caliber. So looking forward to seeing this team evolve this year.

Mathis needs to be at least a 70% free throw shooter. He does a good job at getting to the line but he can't only convert at 56%.

Reactions: RUChoppin
Agreed. He needs to improve his FT shooting. I think if he gets to 66% I would feel better. That's a 10% improvement which is a lot. I doubt he gets to 70% but you never know.

Last edited:
I'd like Mathis to improve his FT shooting, however if there is a list of things that i want to see FT shooting is not that high on the list.

Yeboah is about making a major jump in competition, being undersized, and bad shooting numbers.
Right on queue! Call it a bad take, but this one is more of a zombie lie. A take proven inaccurate yet you keep repeating it over and over and over.

It's been proven out with exact stats, but I don't feel like pulling them up yet again since this has been disproven multiple times on multiple threads already.

Yeboah has had good 3 point shooting stats essentially his whole career. He was shooting even better last season until he got hurt. After his injury, his numbers went down very very significantly. He shot a good three point percent for years, but you factor in a stretch of games where all of a sudden he shot much much worse due to injury and you somehow can't use logic and common sense to attribute that to an injury and instead try to start this narrative that he can't shoot. It just doesn't make any sense at all. None.

Please stop pushing this false narrative. What is your motivation for doing so?

34.4% was the 3 point shooting % of D1 basketball last year. Yeboah is a career 33.5% 3 point shooter.

Assuming guys that haven't proven themselves at this level will play at levels above guys that have played at this level is a bit premature.

The only guy I have real feel on this roster right now is Geo Baker. We have seen him play major minutes for 2 full years. We know what he can do and what he can't do. Obviously we leave the window open for better than expected year over year improvement.

I think Myles Johnson can play 50% more minutes than last year and still be a bit better than he was last year. I really don't know which way Mathis goes, but I know this team needs what his potential brings. I am confident that Harper stays efficient as usage increases, but my confidence level isn't real high (it isn't low either). I still am not sure about Caleb....at worst I think he gives us good 15 MPG, but I see upside for him to be a lot more.

When looking at the 3 newcomers I certainly hope they can really help us. I just don't think someone who looks at it objectively can have a high confidence level in any of the 3. Conversely I can't see how anybody can write them off.

The good news is that we have a lot of bodies so if we get an injury or 2 or a few guys underperform expectations it won't be the end of the world.

I usually have a good feel going in to a season how we will do. This year I am not so sure. Before Eugene left my thought was this is the year we had to get it done because '20-'21 we wouldn't have Eugene. Now that he is gone my expectations are low.

Last edited:
There is no information regarding bowl....Mulcahy has been fine in workouts with the roster and is good to go. He was never viewed as a starter as a freshman, that was an item generated with no substance behind it.

The more important item is he's a team centric player and understands that winning is more important than worrying about how many minutes he plays or where he plays.

The mods and people here closer to the program frankly know more about RU than John Rothstein does. You cannot watch an individual workout, send 8 or 10 tweets and have that count as comprehensive coverage of RU basketball....it bizarre that those tweets get picked apart as something worth discussing.

Not Bizarre at all IMO. Twitter is a shit show for intelligent news info. People read a tweet and take is as Gospel more and more. It’s part of the news culture. Sports and non sports

Reactions: satnom
Gotta say it's pretty damn awesome that Rutgers basketball is relevant to the point that this same convo is going on again with nothing having changed over the past couple of weeks. This year is going to be fun...now if we could just FF to November.

34.4% was the 3 point shooting % of D1 basketball last year. Yeboah is a career 33.5% 3 point shooter.
Yeboah shot 34 first year 35.5 second year and was shooting around 38 last year until he was injured. He shot terrible post injury barely above 20. You need to throw out the bad data unless you plan on him playing injured all season there is no reasonable reason to expect him to shoot as bad as he did while injured

So.... those are "bad" shooting numbers? Wouldn't they be "average" shooting numbers?

Also, we had exactly 2 guys on the team last year who shot better than Yeboah's career average... Baker (.341) and McConnell (.357). EVEN IF you take his career numbers (including his reduced shooting last year after injury), he still comes in as the 3rd best shooter on the team.

So.... those are "bad" shooting numbers? Wouldn't they be "average" shooting numbers?

Also, we had exactly 2 guys on the team last year who shot better than Yeboah's career average... Baker (.341) and McConnell (.357). EVEN IF you take his career numbers (including his reduced shooting last year after injury), he still comes in as the 3rd best shooter on the team.
Not preaching to the choir with that one.He will forever cling to his foolish consistencies,

He is an average 3 point shooter. I hope Yeboah can shoot in the mid 30s, given the data I can’t assume it will happen.

When it comes down to it I am most concerned about the defense out of the “4”

Last edited:
Going back to the original subject....
In the 3 games Eugene was out we lost to Purdue, Minnesota and Northwestern.

When we played Minnesota and Northwestern with Eugene in the lineup we won those games. There is no doubt in my mind we would have beaten Northwestern at home with Eugene.

Going back to the original subject....
In the 3 games Eugene was out we lost to Purdue, Minnesota and Northwestern.

When we played Minnesota and Northwestern with Eugene in the lineup we won those games. There is no doubt in my mind we would have beaten Northwestern at home with Eugene.

Shaq Carter turned in a solid performance that night in Omoruyi's stead, with 9 pts, 10 rbs, 2 ast, 1 blk in 34 min. I don't know if swapping him out for Omoruyi was suddenly going to be the key to overcoming an 8 point loss. Bigger issue that game was that McConnell and Johnson combined for just 3 points and we let NW shoot 41% from range.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT