ADVERTISEMENT

Personal Reflection

Good-Knight

All Conference
Jul 21, 2008
I've been a fan of RU basketball going back to the 70's. There's a thread about things that are no longer around since the last time RU made the NCAA tournament. I was almost on that list. I spent a good deal of last year in the hospital. Although the doctors never gave me odds, I didn't have to google very hard to see that it was a long shot. A lot of time is spent on worry and fear, but that wears out and you think of mundane things and things you'll miss. More than a few times I thought it would have been great to see RU in the 2020 tourney, but fate was not on my side.
Lost my hair. Lost 60 lbs. I received excellent care. I was put in an trial group. My medical insurance was fantastic and picked up nearly all of the cost which was well in excess of $1mil. My wife was the only person I could see and touch for months and she sustained me. We had a joke about not buying any green bananas, but now I'm feeling much better. I don't know the odds or the timeframe. I try to worry less and appreciate more, but mostly I'm not very changed. I jump out of my chair on bad calls, bad shots early in the shot clock, unforced turnovers, not boxing out, passing into the corner, moving screens ... but really I enjoy the game that I'll never play again. I enjoy the competition, the individual effort, and the step back shot or interior pass I wasn't anticipating. I'm grateful to Pike, Myles, Geo, the whole team, RU athletics, the university as a whole that opened up a world for me, and those fans who wandered with me in the desert for so long. I don't know what tomorrow may bring, but I'm grateful to have today, to have an NCAA bid, and to have hope. God bless all here.

I've been a fan of RU basketball going back to the 70's. There's a thread about things that are no longer around since the last time RU made the NCAA tournament. I was almost on that list. I spent a good deal of last year in the hospital. Although the doctors never gave me odds, I didn't have to google very hard to see that it was a long shot. A lot of time is spent on worry and fear, but that wears out and you think of mundane things and things you'll miss. More than a few times I thought it would have been great to see RU in the 2020 tourney, but fate was not on my side.
Lost my hair. Lost 60 lbs. I received excellent care. I was put in an trial group. My medical insurance was fantastic and picked up nearly all of the cost which was well in excess of $1mil. My wife was the only person I could see and touch for months and she sustained me. We had a joke about not buying any green bananas, but now I'm feeling much better. I don't know the odds or the timeframe. I try to worry less and appreciate more, but mostly I'm not very changed. I jump out of my chair on bad calls, bad shots early in the shot clock, unforced turnovers, not boxing out, passing into the corner, moving screens ... but really I enjoy the game that I'll never play again. I enjoy the competition, the individual effort, and the step back shot or interior pass I wasn't anticipating. I'm grateful to Pike, Myles, Geo, the whole team, RU athletics, the university as a whole that opened up a world for me, and those fans who wandered with me in the desert for so long. I don't know what tomorrow may bring, but I'm grateful to have today, to have an NCAA bid, and to have hope. God bless all here.

Wow, sounds like a difficult journey - I hope it lasts much longer and you're able to post more, as you've always been an excellent poster with great insights. Good luck. Are you able to see people now and/or go to the tourney? Wasn't sure how far you've recovered.

Very well stated and keep fighting the good fight!!!

Reactions: Scarlet Beach
I'm strong enough but immuno-compromised. So it turns out that it is great everyone is wearing masks and social distancing. I've lost my immunity to all childhood diseases. I'll enjoy the game just fine on TV.
Gotcha. The immune system is a crazy thing - both my wife and son are immunocompromised, but not to that extent. Have read how measles can "wipe away" immunity to a host of other diseases in a very small % of people. If you don't mind my asking (and feel free to tell me it's none of my business), are your docs recommending any of the COVID vaccines for you or not, given your condition? And yeah, the COVID precautions would be good for that, like they've been for the flu and other infectious diseases.

At first my team was against getting the Covid vaccine because mRNA vaccines don't have a long history and even less for people who've had Stem Cell Transplants for my condition. Then someone (I've never met) in my treatment group died of Covid and they got all of us vaccinated pretty quickly. So I have the Covid and Flu vaccines but not MMR, DTaP Polio, Hep A, Hep B, Chicken Pox ... all of which could be very dangerous.
The science is fascinating if you're detached from it. The doctors and nurses are uniformly brilliant which is something you don't get in other parts of the country or world. Very lucky to live in the NYC area.

At first my team was against getting the Covid vaccine because mRNA vaccines don't have a long history and even less for people who've had Stem Cell Transplants for my condition. Then someone (I've never met) in my treatment group died of Covid and they got all of us vaccinated pretty quickly. So I have the Covid and Flu vaccines but not MMR, DTaP Polio, Hep A, Hep B, Chicken Pox ... all of which could be very dangerous.
The science is fascinating if you're detached from it. The doctors and nurses are uniformly brilliant which is something you don't get in other parts of the country or world. Very lucky to live in the NYC area.
As great as the medical profession may be in NY Metro to say “ you don’t get that in other parts of the country is totally misleading”. I would suggest you do some more research. I’m sure you would get a great deal of push back from states such as an example Texas, Ohio, California, Florida . Unless you are basing this on a particular hospital speciality.

Amazing story. You have been through a lot with a great attitude. Wish you all the best in your recovery and continuing health!

Best wishes for a continued recovery and hope we all get to savor a victory Friday night. You epitomize the definition of Loyal Son!

Good Knight, I also help you have a 100 % recovery. I have followed RU since the 1966-67 season. The first game I attended was in march 1971 when RU defeated Penn State at the Barn. My wife graduated from Douglass in 1972. I have only missed a handful of games at the RAC since it opened in 1977. I have had season tickets for over 32 years. My wife had a stage 4 sarcoma in January 2012 and fought cancer for 28 months and 3 operations before passing on May 1, 2014. My identical twin brother has passed away from a Sarcoma on Sept 11, 1998. I knew how dangerous a sarcoma is. Shortly after my wife passed I found out I had lymphoma. Neither of us ever smoked as it was just bad luck. My wife was a foods teacher and knew all of the best foods to eat. My wife passed at 64 but looked like she was about 45. When I became ill I thought I might pass in a short time. I had 6 months of chemo and bounced back. I had blood tests constantly and after 4 years my lymphoma came back with a vengence. I was watched even more closely and finally went on an oral chemo prescription. So far I am still fighting the good fight. My spots have been reduced in size by about 50 % and will have another CAT scan in May. For a long time I just hoped that I could see RU make the NCAA one more time. I am grateful that we will be playing on Friday. Last year I attended 19 RU practices which helped me to pass the time. I go to as many athletic events as I can since my wife passed. I have driven to Greensboro in 1979 when St. John's beat us in the NCAA. I also drove to Hartford and saw us defeat SW Louisiana in our last NCAA victory in 1983. I also attended the tournament on South Padre Island in Texas in November 2005 and to BIG 10 Tournaments in Washington DC in 2017 and all 3 games in the Big 10 Tournament at MSG in 2018. I also drove to Toronto in Nov 2019 when we lost to St. Bonaventure and to Indianapolis last March for the Big 10 Tournament. I hope I can attend RU games in the near future. I love this team and RU basketball. It is probably my biggest passion at this time. Good luck Good Knight and I hope you can be here for many many more RU basketball seasons.

Last edited:
Glad you are on the rise! Here's to watching our team in multiple upcoming NCAA tourneys!!

Hopefully we all don't have live to 150 to make it happen

Good Knight, I also help you have a 100 % recovery. I have followed RU since the 1966-67 season. .. I love this team and RU basketball. It is probably my biggest passion at this time. Good luck Good Knight and I hope you can be here for many many more RU basketball seasons.
Knights1212,
As a long time RU fan, I don't have to tell you to enjoy the wins and get over the losses. I'm with you in your struggle. The loss of your wife is especially devastating. You've been through a lot which shows you can take it. On those tough days when you just feel lousy all over and don't have the concentration to tie your shoelaces, know that I and a lot of others are right there pulling for you. If it helps we can have Mike Rice come and throw basektballs at you until out of bed and get dressed, we can get Fred Hill to curse out your oncologist, or we can get Craig Littlepage to knock over you meds. It's a good life and it still has many twists and turns in store for you.

incredible brave story ;thanks for sharing. The OCD part of me needs to ask because even post sct vax clinics drop the ball occasionally or the patient misinterprets or maybe I'm missing something here.
Please double check on the Tdap vs DTap, ipv not oral polio, and hep a/b series. they are really quite important and it would be a little bit unusual for you not to have received them by several months out even if you cannot mount a full perfect immune response. hopefully in a couple years you can repost that you've gotten the live ones as well like mmr etc as long as there's no gvhd.

"...I try to worry less and appreciate more..."

Words of wisdom. Speaking of appreciation, I really appreciate you sharing this. I hope the team knows your story. A little perspective is never a bad thing. Thank you. I hope you enjoy this tournament, and many more, to the fullest!

Originally didn’t open this thread because of the title being non basketball related. Now I’m glad I did. Great post, thanks for sharing.

These stories of incredible courage and perseverance should remind all of us who are relatively healthy to count our blessings every day and live each day to the fullest, as tomorrow is promised to no one. Thank you for sharing and may the blessings of better health be bestowed on you both.

Soundcrib, Thank you for the kind thoughts & words. I hope all of us die hards of 30, 40. 50 or more years can really treasure this moment. For so long I thought I might never get to see the moment. It means so much to me and I am so very grateful to Steve, the staff and the players for making this possible.

God bless you both and keep you well for many more years of RU tournaments

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT