ADVERTISEMENT

PG Remy Martin In Portal

We need a backup center or a stretch four that can also bang.
Are you saying we cannot use a PG who just averaged 191 ppg and finished 6th all time at ASU in points and 2nd in assists? I think we could find a way to use him. In my mind, you take the best players available, and if that means you're running a Villanova 4-guard offense, then you are. Not that I think we have a shot here, but if he said he wanted to play at RU, I'm certainly not saying no because I'm waiting for a backup center.

Reactions: Mr_Twister
Portal so far has us focusing on guys Pikell knows. Haven’t gotten any big names- this guy is going to a blue blood.

Portal so far has us focusing on guys Pikell knows. Haven’t gotten any big names- this guy is going to a blue blood.
Tend to agree. Pike does not seem to be interested in bringing in any significant competition to the guys who have already established themselves here or his incoming recruits. Hyatt was someone he was familiar with from past recruiting cycles and fills a need.

I keep seeing Tre Mitchell sitting out there and thinking he would be a difference maker much more than the Gray kid but have no expectation that is a match for us.

There are two other forwards Bagley from ASU and Gurrier from Syracuse in the portal that are also intriguing from just a stats and level of recruit perspective that are still out there. Both maybe more 3's than 4's and thus not a great fit but certainly seem talented with the potential to help beyond just next year.

Are you saying we cannot use a PG who just averaged 191 ppg and finished 6th all time at ASU in points and 2nd in assists? I think we could find a way to use him. In my mind, you take the best players available, and if that means you're running a Villanova 4-guard offense, then you are. Not that I think we have a shot here, but if he said he wanted to play at RU, I'm certainly not saying no because I'm waiting for a backup center.
I agree with the notion of getting talented players and coach ‘em up. I’m still shaking my head that Quinerly is at Alabama.

What the heck has happened with the Gamecocks program? Frank Martin was king of the hill just a few years ago.

What the heck has happened with the Gamecocks program? Frank Martin was king of the hill just a few years ago.
While I have not seen them play in awhile, but Martin's intensity always struck me as a person struggling to maintain his own self control. He was getting results but not surprised some kids would not care for him. I think he has a big contract that thus far prohibits SC from making a move.

Minaya committed to Providence and Remy Martin is a shoot 1st, shoot 2nd and if I can't shoot, then I have to pass PG.....he is also one of the undisciplined and wild players in college basketball...Bobby Hurley runs as loose and free offense for guards but Martin is a player who belongs at the next level, not in college basketball.

Reactions: MV9000 and shields
Minaya committed to Providence and Remy Martin is a shoot 1st, shoot 2nd and if I can't shoot, then I have to pass PG.....he is also one of the undisciplined and wild players in college basketball...Bobby Hurley runs as loose and free offense for guards but Martin is a player who belongs at the next level, not in college basketball.
then, pun intended, pass

Reactions: borochop
I’ve always respected your opinion. What makes Alabama the right fit for Quinerly? The young man has serious offensive skills.
Maybe it is a bit hypocritical as offensively he handled the ball as much as Jacob and definitely had better offensive results. The same chemistry issues I’d be worried about probably took place with us last year.

he had one lucky run to the Final Four as a 7 seed. That is his only tourney appearance at South Carolina over 9 seasons. Has never even cracked KenPom top 50 in any other season there.

Maybe it is a bit hypocritical as offensively he handled the ball as much as Jacob and definitely had better offensive results. The same chemistry issues I’d be worried about probably took place with us last year.

I just think he was a better fit for their up tempo style than he would be here.

The fascination with Quinerly is absurd.....he is a me-first player and literally shot Alabama out of the NCAAs....when your PG takes 23+ shots in a game, that's a huge problem.

Remy Martin is along the same lines.....People have to make a decision on whether you want 1 player taking 40% of your teams shots per game and the rest get 60%.....how do you develop players for the next season, if a ball-hog, gobbles up all the shot attempts??

I am not saying Eugene Omoyuri was a ball hog, but RU improved when the shot attempts were spread out among Baker, Mathis. Yeboah and Harper, mixed with Caleb and Young. The fans that say 2019-20 was "fun", is because it actually was fun and you didn't know who could beat you from RU on a game to game basis.

Why fans want ball hogging players like Quinerly and now Remy Martin makes no sense.....and it also doesn't make any sense to then say "Geo doesn't score enough or only averages 10 to 12PPG"....how about the shot attempts spread out among the others, within the team concept, that matters way more.

The best case scenario for RU is to spread the Jacob Young and Mathis shot attempts to Jaden Jones and Aundre Hyatt and let Cliff develop his expanded offensive game, beyond the limited post ups with Myles Johnson.

Reactions: shields
I know that when I am at the gym and playing basketball I always want to be on the team with the guy that shoots it every time down the court and never passes the ball to me. It really makes running up and down the court and playing defense that more rewarding. To see him get his shots up with 3 guys covering him, fun, love it.

Martin is a player who belongs at the next level, not in college basketball.
Not according to NBA Scouts.

Martin is in the portal because he realizes that he has no chance of getting drafted this year and because ASU is already well stocked at the guard position because they planned on Martin not coming back.

So, he enters the portal to keep his options open and to hopefully play for a title contender that could possibly elevate his stock for next year's NBA Draft.

I know that when I am at the gym and playing basketball I always want to be on the team with the guy that shoots it every time down the court and never passes the ball to me. It really makes running up and down the court and playing defense that more rewarding. To see him get his shots up with 3 guys covering him, fun, love it.
You should set screen for him. In the event he doesn’t have the ball screen away for him.

NJH

1. Eugene was a ball hog the last 1/3 of his final season here.
2. Yes Quinerly shot them out of the game in the NCAAs. I think you are overestimating his hogginess. Our own Jacob Young had a higher usage rate than Quinnerly
3. I hate ball hogs and I like offense spread around, unfortunately if new guys in the rotation aren’t overly skilled offensively we may need a ball hog. Last year, at times, unfortunately we needed Jacob playing hero ball.

Reactions: RUsojo
Back on topic and relevant for Rutgers:

It seems the general thinking is that Remy got unfavorable draft feedback so he went through with the transfer (but still staying in the draft).

He declared on May 7th.
Harper and Baker delcared will before that so they both definitely have received feedback.

As you can see with Remy though, players will stay in the draft on principle and for show, until the last possible day.

My only question is how can someone score 191 ppg and be 6th all-time in points? 😉

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT