ADVERTISEMENT

Pike recruiting

rubjk

Senior
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2013
So all those who blast Pike’s recruiting misses why don’t you give credit for JD, JW and GG? I still think as far as getting every ounce out of his players no one in the b10 is better. Just look at Slappy and Woodson for the great recruiting and only squeezing out half or 3/4 of what they should be getting.

There shouldn't be ANY issues with recruiting in actual time since Simpson and Woolfolk committed in 2022. It's been out of HS

Simpson
Woolfolk
Griffiths
Ace Bailey
Sommerville
Dortch
Grant
Harper

In play for a couple of very good 2025 prospects as well.

The core of what struggles we have come from upperclassmen out of HS since 2019. Those players are being upgraded with better and more game ready kids out of HS.

Reactions: tm_nj and Scangg
There shouldn't be ANY issues with recruiting in actual time since Simpson and Woolfolk committed in 2022. It's been out of HS

Simpson
Woolfolk
Griffiths
Ace Bailey
Sommerville
Dortch
Grant
Harper

In play for a couple of very good 2025 prospects as well.

The core of what struggles we have come from upperclassmen out of HS since 2019. Those players are being upgraded with better and more game ready kids out of HS.
Exactly and yet some on here swear after the one and dones are gone we will be worse than we are this year.

So all those who blast Pike’s recruiting misses why don’t you give credit for JD, JW and GG? I still think as far as getting every ounce out of his players no one in the b10 is better. Just look at Slappy and Woodson for the great recruiting and only squeezing out half or 3/4 of what they should be getting.
GG is certainly not an example.

Reactions: Kbee3
Pike missed on too many players but he's clearly recruiting at a different level now and those problems will be gone

The Paul Cam Ndongo losses hurt bigtime thos season. It is what it is
Pike didn't miss on those players. Rutgers missed on those players. Our reputation, our history, our financial support...nobody wanted to come here long before Pike was on the scene.

I think Pike absolutely did the best that was possible with what he had to work with here. And as soon as he built it up a little he landed the #2 recruiting class in the country.

Pike didn't miss on those players. Rutgers missed on those players. Our reputation, our history, our financial support...nobody wanted to come here long before Pike was on the scene.

I think Pike absolutely did the best that was possible with what he had to work with here. And as soon as he built it up a little he landed the #2 recruiting class in the country.
And who would have ever thought that Rutgers would have the #2 recruiting class in the country ?
The magnitude of that achievement is stunning. I would have never thought it possible.

These moves are fantastic. It's not something I'd expect he'd be able to do in year 1 at the college level, but you never know. It's going to be a growing process with Lathan, but he is going to be really good.

Sommerville has offensive skills off the dribble that Rutgers fans have rarely seen for a center.
The skill off the dribble reminded me of a Coleman Hawkins type player. I am not saying he has same game as Hawkins, Somerville likely will play down low more than Hawkins, but the creating he did off the dribble reminded me of what Hawkins does.

Reactions: RUJMM78 and Scangg
@Greene Rice FIG not seeing great boxing out on the couple plays of the opponent shooting.......😉

Also that final play defense was bad. Guard should have switched when Lathan hedged so hard.
The guy got a wide open shot.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
These moves are fantastic. It's not something I'd expect he'd be able to do in year 1 at the college level, but you never know. It's going to be a growing process with Lathan, but he is going to be really good.
He's got some skill offensively, but it will take a little while at the college level to get used to playing against guy's his own size. Plus, you know Pike isn't going to play him a ton early if he's a sieve on the defensive end.

Pike missed on too many players but he's clearly recruiting at a different level now and those problems will be gone

The Paul Cam Ndongo losses hurt bigtime thos season. It is what it is
That last sentence is the truth. The loss of Ndongo who would have been a perfect 4 for us this year , coupled with the loss of Cam and our three point threat as well as all around ball player and Paul’s ability to make Cliff a weapon , has absolutely crippled this team’s offensive ability. Really is the story of the year. Pike’s replacements , Noah and the delayed appearances of Mag and Jeremiah and Egbole hurt as well as they have not replaced what was lost.

Agreed for the first few years, but after he had some success there were misses

2022 Chol maybe Wolf
2021 Miller Agee
2020 Jones Reiber maybe Oskar

And who would have ever thought that Rutgers would have the #2 recruiting class in the country ?
The magnitude of that achievement is stunning. I would have never thought it possible.
OK, but the last three classes have been awful, and that's why we are where we are now.

Agreed for the first few years, but after he had some success there were misses

2022 Chol maybe Wolf
2021 Miller Agee
2020 Jones Reiber maybe Oskar
Misses in that when he was searching for the diamond in the rough he wasn't 100%. But the reason he had to be scouring the lumps of coal in the first place was because the state of the program he inherited sucked.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Bottom line: Pikes has GOT to capitalize on this year's recruiting success.
All of 2025 recruiting is done and signed before any of these 2024 kids would have played 1 game. You might not see that bounce until 2026 and 2027 kids see the tidal wave of what this RAC and RU up tempo play looks like.

Misses in that when he was searching for the diamond in the rough he wasn't 100%. But the reason he had to be scouring the lumps of coal in the first place was because the state of the program he inherited sucked.
One thing to remember is the 2021 class was all done via video recruiting and not in person due to COVID. I think there were a lot of misreads across the country.

Reactions: Scangg
With NIL-period revolving door rosters, you have to drop this kind of thinking. It’s all about now.
I mean maybe if he said by the time he's a senior. You would expect non 1 and done freshman to return unless something goes very wrong

I mean maybe if he said by the time he's a senior. You would expect non 1 and done freshman to return unless something goes very wrong
Compensation and opportunity and coaching changes. Players can put themselves in the best situation these days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT