Votes: 25 15.3%
  • 40%

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • 20%

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • 0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Voted 80%. Might it be until year 6, 7, or 8 but I think he will get it done slowly but surely. He needs to improve recruiting and I think the facility being built and recruits being to actually see it finished on visits will eventually allow him to raise recruiting to a level at least 7/8 in conference.

In non conference games I will sit in a small college gym and it will be 1/4 full. The radio and newspapers will either ignore the game or barely cover it. The program hasn't been to the NCAAs for 27 years. We have been in the basement for the past 3 years. We are competing in one of the top basketball conferences. We need to win at least half of those games against programs that are infinitely more attractive than ours.

How in the world are you going to convince 15-17 year olds to play for Rutgers? The coach that brings us back to respectability has done an amazing job. Actually getting us to the NCAA tournament requires lightning in the bottle or a long long time.

Michigan State, Michigan, Indiana, Wisconisn, Ohio State, Purdue and Maryland are in our conference.
I willask you a question fist then reply. Do you ever see Pike getting us over the 20 win category. Not next year and maybe not the year after but say in 3 to 5 years. If so we will get to the dance. Think back to the old big east. Everyone beat up on each other but they still sent 8 teams. I can see that happening with us.
If we continue to improve as we have the past 2 year we will get better kids. Look at the number of 4 and 5 stars kids who are at least listening to Pike and watching us. Most of the teams who make the dance are teams that have kids playing together for 3 and 4 years. Thats direction we are heading

I willask you a question fist then reply. Do you ever see Pike getting us over the 20 win category. Not next year and maybe not the year after but say in 3 to 5 years. If so we will get to the dance. Think back to the old big east. Everyone beat up on each other but they still sent 8 teams. I can see that happening with us.
If we continue to improve as we have the past 2 year we will get better kids. Look at the number of 4 and 5 stars kids who are at least listening to Pike and watching us. Most of the teams who make the dance are teams that have kids playing together for 3 and 4 years. Thats direction we are heading

simple answer no. Rutgers has never danced out of a power conference. I'd like to think they can, but if I had to guess no seems more realistic than yes.

simple answer no. Rutgers has never danced out of a power conference. I'd like to think they can, but if I had to guess no seems more realistic than yes.

Serious question and not meant to be a putdown, what keeps you coming back if you're not convinced/realistically hopeful we'll make the tournament at some point in the near-to-medium future?

I see Pike getting us to 20. In fact, I'd say 100% for that. However, I fear it could be a conference season like last year where we only sent 4. Look at Nebraska and Penn State last year. 20 wins isn't enough anymore. Top half of the conference isn't enough anymore.

Serious question and not meant to be a putdown, what keeps you coming back if you're not convinced/realistically hopeful we'll make the tournament at some point in the near-to-medium future?

Never said the number was 0. It is a possibility. Highly doubtful in the next 3 years. Incoming class is going to have to be REAL good. We will know a lot more in a month and a half.

by
Never said the number was 0. It is a possibility. Highly doubtful in the next 3 years. Incoming class is going to have to be REAL good. We will know a lot more in a month and a half.
saying no to the question
When I asked if you thought Pike would win 20 games over the next few years you said No. If no to that then no chance of making dance. So what is it - if we are to make dance we need to win 20 games. Cant have it both ways fig. Do we make dance undr Pike

It isn't binary.

If pressed......

Probability we make the NCAA tournament in the next 3 years......10%
Probability we make the NCAA tournament ever with Pikiell as coach....35%

With our OOC most years 20 wins isn't enough. The question you always have to ask yourself.....how do we leap frog over 7 B1G programs? Who are the 7? Is it possible to have a good year when others are down? The correlation of long term success of football is very high with basketball and basketball is dependent on football. The state of NJ is a fiscal mess. The days of Rutgers athletics losing 20,000,000 will come to an end. There are humongous fixed costs to the athletic department from football. Our athletic department can't prosper with football being 4-8 let alone 1-11

It isn't binary.

If pressed......

Probability we make the NCAA tournament in the next 3 years......10%
Probability we make the NCAA tournament ever with Pikiell as coach....35%

With our OOC most years 20 wins isn't enough. The question you always have to ask yourself.....how do we leap frog over 7 B1G programs? Who are the 7? Is it possible to have a good year when others are down? The correlation of long term success of football is very high with basketball and basketball is dependent on football. The state of NJ is a fiscal mess. The days of Rutgers athletics losing 20,000,000 will come to an end. There are humongous fixed costs to the athletic department from football. Our athletic department can't prosper with football being 4-8 let alone 1-11
thank you for the response. Your "arguments/views make more e with the percentages you posted

Then what's the point? We should all just pack it in. Smh. Sorry to see you're so pessimistic. Football had never been to a bowl in the modern era, and many thought we'd never see that happen... until it did.

Pikiell has this program trending in the right direction. Sorry it's not fast enough for some, but remember just how far down the hole we were under Jordan. If we're still in this position in 2 years I'll be really concerned, but I like what I see to this point.

Reactions: Scangg
It is super hard to go from 16-19 win type program to 20+. Ask Bannon or Waters. This is a very difficult job. With that said, I’m as optimistic as I’ve been since perhaps Mike Rice’s first 2 years.

ADVERTISEMENT