ADVERTISEMENT

Pikiell Postgame

Always wondered if he was a yeller behind closed doors. On tv he always seems so encouraging.

I believe Tom Izzo in one post game interview said of Pike something to the effect of "I know how he comes off in public but he has an...what's the word....orneriness to him that you guys don't see." Something like that lol.

It’s about time, if true. I hope he shared the blame. We’ve been outplayed, outhustled and outcoached badly in the past couple of games.

Reactions: biker7766
There are major issues with this issue right now. There is time to fix some of them, but I’ll be shocked if it happens before SHU on Saturday.

Hoping coach was “ornery” in that locker room. What is so puzzling is Pike’s evaluation of his team. This is clearly not an 80 point team. The rebounding is terrible and how can you up the pace if you can’t rebound. Coach thinks this team is good??
Last nights game:
Wake 29-11
RU 37-21
Wake 26-9
The dry spells are embarrassing!

Hoping coach was “ornery” in that locker room. What is so puzzling is Pike’s evaluation of his team. This is clearly not an 80 point team. The rebounding is terrible and how can you up the pace if you can’t rebound. Coach thinks this team is good??
Last nights game:
Wake 29-11
RU 37-21
Wake 26-9
The dry spells are embarrassing!
Let’s say, for the sake of argument, he actually thinks the team is bad.

Realistically, what would you expect him to say differently in public?

Did he finally teach them some offensive concepts? This is just as much on him as the players.

I keep seeing this pop up. What concepts haven't you seen since the roster has improved its talent level??

The skill level on offense for last year's roster and this year's, is extremely limited in terms of offensive talent. There's no ability for anyone to generate their own offense consistently and we have 2 bigs who are not in any way skilled offensive players.

The most skilled offensive big man RU has had in the Pike era, was Myles Johnson.....and he was limited to lobs and some dunks, but he was a plus at passing and could rebound.

Cliff is being asked to play back to the basket style and it is literally hit or miss, but mostly mise at this point. Woolfolk is progressing (I liked his baseline jumper yesterday), he actually has more fundamental skill than Cliff does (footwork, handle and maneuver around the basket).....he's just 6'8 and not really a wing at 6'8", who can get to the basket from the wing, elevate and score, pass, draw contact.

Hyatt is really a back to the basket player, mixed with some shooting touch, if left open. He's not taking anyone off the bounce from the 3 point line to the rim.....he has to bump and back down his defender to create offense.

Mag is also limited on handling the ball in transition or creating his own offense from outside to inside. He requires a post up, in hopes there is a smaller defender on him. A player of equal height and quickness, stops Mag on the perimeter or in the paint.

There are other breakdowns of players like Oskar or Chol etc....

Fernandes did some very positive things.....he was credited with 5 turnovers, but 3 literally weren't his fault. Cliffs hands or inability to catch simple passes resulted in one, another was a pass to Griffiths who fumbled it out of bounds on the sidelines. The one Fernandes turnover starting the 2nd half, was sloppy and preventable, but he competed and got a couple of deflections that forced Wake turnovers.

Simpson just hasn't stepped forth and might need to get more minutes to shake loose. It would be at Noah's expense minutes wise, but Simpson has to grab hold of the backcourt and lead with Fernandes.

I actually think the #1 problem with Pike and offense is they're trying to play unselfishly and share the basketball......most of our turnovers are not forced by the defense, we OVERPASS, the basketball.

I counted at least 5 turnovers where a player just needed one dribble, raise and shoot the ball....instead I saw a forced pass to Cliff or other plays where the shot needs to go up. A shot attempted is always better than a turnover.

If Gavin starts to play more aggressively and hunt down his own shots on offense, I would not mind one bit. Hyatt tends to do that, and it irritates fans, but someone has to actually try and score. I'd rather have Gavin aggressively looking to score and have his shot blocked a couple of times, instead of having him trying to pass the ball to Cliff.....he is the better offensive player, not Cliff.

Once this "Pecking Order", of shot distribution gets sorted out, is when things get better on offense. Right now, it's very random and unknown on each possession, what to expect.

The concepts of passing the ball to Woolfolk and Cliff at the 3 point line and then letting them find a player for a pass or handoff, needs to be thrown out of the offense. It will work 100% next year with a Lathan Sommerville, he can make plays or, dribble, passes and score......maybe Woolfolk develops into that type of player like Mag did from Year 1 to Year 3 (last year). But Cliff just isn't skilled enough to be in these positions. Not until he starts focusing on catching the passes clean and having an idea what to do with it.

The shot distribution or pecking order should all have Hyatt, Simpson and Gavin with double figure shot attempts each game.....then it should follow 4th with Cliff and then Fernandes.

Until that distribution changes, RU is going to struggle. Maybe I would be willing to flip flop Simpson and Fernandes, because Fernandes has more experience, but in terms of development and looking cohesive, every pass attempted by Gavin, would have me telling him to run a lap around the gym. I would force him to create offense and shoot the ball, drive and generate contact. He should be getting called for 1 offensive foul every other game, because he's attacking the defense and forcing the defense to move their feet. Then he can use his jumper to score.

Last edited:
I believe Tom Izzo in one post game interview said of Pike something to the effect of "I know how he comes off in public but he has an...what's the word....orneriness to him that you guys don't see." Something like that lol.

I’ve never met anyone that driven or with such high expectations who can’t get a little cranky.

Did he finally teach them some offensive concepts? This is just as much on him as the players.
Love. Its great he did this but I continue to be frustrated and disappointed that he isn't bringing that demeanor into the in game coaching. What the hell does he say at halftime? Go out and have a good time and I'll let you know how I feel post game?

I keep seeing this pop up. What concepts haven't you seen since the roster has improved its talent level??

The skill level on offense for last year's roster and this year's, is extremely limited in terms of offensive talent. There's no ability for anyone to generate their own offense consistently and we have 2 bigs who are not in any way skilled offensive players.

The most skilled offensive big man RU has had in the Pike era, was Myles Johnson.....and he was limited to lobs and some dunks, but he was a plus at passing and could rebound.

Cliff is being asked to play back to the basket style and it is literally hit or miss, but mostly mise at this point. Woolfolk is progressing (I liked his baseline jumper yesterday), he actually has more fundamental skill than Cliff does (footwork, handle and maneuver around the basket).....he's just 6'8 and not really a wing at 6'8", who can get to the basket from the wing, elevate and score, pass, draw contact.

Hyatt is really a back to the basket player, mixed with some shooting touch, if left open. He's not taking anyone off the bounce from the 3 point line to the rim.....he has to bump and back down his defender to create offense.

Mag is also limited on handling the ball in transition or creating his own offense from outside to inside. He requires a post up, in hopes there is a smaller defender on him. A player of equal height and quickness, stops Mag on the perimeter or in the paint.

There are other breakdowns of players like Oskar or Chol etc....

Fernandes did some very positive things.....he was credited with 5 turnovers, but 3 literally weren't his fault. Cliffs hands or inability to catch simple passes resulted in one, another was a pass to Griffiths who fumbled it out of bounds on the sidelines. The one Fernandes turnover starting the 2nd half, was sloppy and preventable, but he competed and got a couple of deflections that forced Wake turnovers.

Simpson just hasn't stepped forth and might need to get more minutes to shake loose. It would be at Noah's expense minutes wise, but Simpson has to grab hold of the backcourt and lead with Fernandes.

I actually think the #1 problem with Pike and offense is they're trying to play unselfishly and share the basketball......most of our turnovers are not forced by the defense, we OVERPASS, the basketball.

I counted at least 5 turnovers where a player just needed one dribble, raise and shoot the ball....instead I saw a forced pass to Cliff or other plays where the shot needs to go up. A shot attempted is always better than a turnover.

If Gavin starts to play more aggressively and hunt down his own shots on offense, I would not mind one bit. Hyatt tends to do that, and it irritates fans, but someone has to actually try and score. I'd rather have Gavin aggressively looking to score and have his shot blocked a couple of times, instead of having him trying to pass the ball to Cliff.....he is the better offensive player, not Cliff.

Once this "Pecking Order", of shot distribution gets sorted out, is when things get better on offense. Right now, it's very random and unknown on each possession, what to expect.

The concepts of passing the ball to Woolfolk and Cliff at the 3 point line and then letting them find a player for a pass or handoff, needs to be thrown out of the offense. It will work 100% next year with a Lathan Sommerville, he can make plays or, dribble, passes and score......maybe Woolfolk develops into that type of player like Mag did from Year 1 to Year 3 (last year). But Cliff just isn't skilled enough to be in these positions. Not until he starts focusing on catching the passes clean and having an idea what to do with it.

The shot distribution or pecking order should all have Hyatt, Simpson and Gavin with double figure shot attempts each game.....then it should follow 4th with Cliff and then Fernandes.

Until that distribution changes, RU is going to struggle. Maybe I would be willing to flip flop Simpson and Fernandes, because Fernandes has more experience, but in terms of development and looking cohesive, every pass attempted by Gavin, would have me telling him to run a lap around the gym. I would force him to create offense and shoot the ball, drive and generate contact. He should be getting called for 1 offensive foul every other game, because he's attacking the defense and forcing the defense to move their feet. Then he can use his jumper to score.
Agree with this. Identify who has the capability to score and let them shoot because the identity of RU offense is non-existent. Cliff is an under the basket alley hoop dunk guy. No post moves, poor hands and no consistent shot to speak of. Let him focus on rebounding and put backs on missed shots.

Agree with Hyatt, Simpson, Gavin and Fernandes taking double digit shot attempts to generate any type of scoring with Cliff and Wolf getting what they can go fight for.

That’s the current state of RU basketball.

GO RU

I can't remember who it was but I remember hearing a former player say something to the effect of Coach doesn't explode very often, but when he does, look out. I have a feeling last night after the game was one of those times.

The problem is........

Most would think a path to us getting better has to include Gavin figuring it out offensively and having a large role in the offense........How do you call out the team for being soft and getting crushed on the boards and not getting 50/50 and not being physical and then play Gavin.

The problem is........

Most would think a path to us getting better has to include Gavin figuring it out offensively and having a large role in the offense........How do you call out the team for being soft and getting crushed on the boards and not getting 50/50 and not being physical and then play Gavin.
Your obsession with Gavin’s defensive issues is really ****ing annoying. We get it he needs to improve there. Our whole team is NOT good on defense in the half court. The reason Gavin chose Rutgers similar to Harper was to come and add defense to his skill set.
Clearly the guy has the ability to score on offense and that is clear compared to everyone else on the team.
You take the good with the bad and hope he develops. Thing is you NEED to play him for that development to happen

Trust me Pike is more annoyed by it.

This team is very good good at defense in the half court until a shot goes up.

It is just a fact that in the 3 real games that we lost whenever we get back in to games it is ALWAYS our best defensive lineup that gets us back.

Right now, to me it is clear as day, the best path to winning is to play the guys that will defend and get their nose dirty. The reality is we are having a tough time filling out a team of 5.

I'll stop harping about his D when he NET NET helps us win games or fans want to see him play and ignore how bad he is at defense and especially defensive rebounding.

Gavin's D isn't a minor issue with 2023-24, it is a huge piece to the puzzle.

The problem is........

Because the other guys not doing what you’re talking about have been in the system for years or are grown men. And it’s ok if Gavin is treated differently — it’s a fallacy of coaching that all players are treated the same.

Because the other guys not doing what you’re talking about have been in the system for years or are grown men. And it’s ok if Gavin is treated differently — it’s a fallacy of coaching that all players are treated the same.
there are different levels of deficiency in this category. You are kind of making my point. It is OK not treating everyone the same, but that changes a bit when you rip in to a team for 30 minutes.

there are different levels of deficiency in this category. You are kind of making my point. It is OK not treating everyone the same, but that changes a bit when you rip in to a team for 30 minutes.

It depends what was said. Maybe Pike ripped them for more than just effort. What if it was about lack of leadership — taking control of the team. Owning it. Part of that is realizing who has the talent (Gavin) and how to draw that out of them.

It might be unfair but I really put a lot of this on Noah. He was brought in as an older guy to lead this team. He has not done that so far. We cut it to 2-3 pts with 17 to go and we lost by 21. That’s quit. That’s lack of desire. That’s lacking leadership pulling the guys together.

It depends what was said. Maybe Pike ripped them for more than just effort. What if it was about lack of leadership — taking control of the team. Owning it. Part of that is realizing who has the talent (Gavin) and how to draw that out of them.

It might be unfair but I really put a lot of this on Noah. He was brought in as an older guy to lead this team. He has not done that so far. We cut it to 2-3 pts with 17 to go and we lost by 21. That’s quit. That’s lack of desire. That’s lacking leadership pulling the guys together.
good point.

Obvious and what you think can be controlled is rebounding and 50/50ing.

there is more to this mess then that.

Simpson i think was benched, what could that be about

There could be issues to Pike with players not making the right passes in the offense. he talks about sharing the game a lot.

good point.

Obvious and what you think can be controlled is rebounding and 50/50ing.

there is more to this mess then that.

Simpson i think was benched, what could that be about

There could be issues to Pike with players not making the right passes in the offense. he talks about sharing the game a lot.

I like Simpson. I met him a few times — only chatted for a couple minutes each time — but a really nice kid. I want him to succeed, but I think way too many fans over estimated what he is as a player. That said, I haven’t come away from games thinking he’s too selfish on the offensive side.

I do think that’s an issue on this team. Our ball rotation is not good and I’m already tired of watching guards dribble around for 4-5 seconds rather than swinging the ball. I also think players like Gavin and Cliff are used to passing and getting the ball back. They see that’s not happen so now we’re seeing forces that shouldn’t be necessary.

Keep rolling with Simpson, Noah, Gavin, Hyatt, and Cliff for two-three games with all of them having 24 minutes around together.

If needed after a couple of games, put Oscar in for G for 24 minutes.

Team needs continuity with lineups. Switching it is going to make things worse.

Also, Gavin is far from only one getting beat on defense.

The adjustment should be not adjusting. Stick with five players and give them time together.

Always wondered if he was a yeller behind closed doors. On tv he always seems so encouraging.
During games and all public settings the man believes in total positivity. Can say without a doubt that out of the public eye...locker room, practice...the guy gets after it.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
I live in NC so was able to attend the game. Pike should yell at himself for some of the substitution patterns. At the little over 10 minute mark in the 2nd half we are on a run and get it down to 2 points. For some reason (pretty sure after a Wake TO) he takes out 3 of the guys on that run. Put in Wolf for Cliff, Simpson for Davis and Williams for Gavin. Told my wife who joined me he just killed all the momentum - they then went on an 18-0 run. He does this all the time. Not sure who is pulling the strings on this but hard for these guys to get consistent when he subbing constantly. He needs to take a look in the mirror as well.

I live in NC so was able to attend the game. Pike should yell at himself for some of the substitution patterns. At the little over 10 minute mark in the 2nd half we are on a run and get it down to 2 points. For some reason (pretty sure after a Wake TO) he takes out 3 of the guys on that run. Put in Wolf for Cliff, Simpson for Davis and Williams for Gavin. Told my wife who joined me he just killed all the momentum - they then went on an 18-0 run. He does this all the time. Not sure who is pulling the strings on this but hard for these guys to get consistent when he subbing constantly. He needs to take a look in the mirror as well.
good point, but in Pike's defense he is thinking those guys arent going the distance, give them a rest in to the 8 minute media TO. Unfortunately for Pike the mouse took the cheese.

Good honest debate can be had for just saying F it and not give players rest

Last edited:
Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
I love this. Hopefully he delivered quite the reality check.
Hopefully, he also did a reality check on himself and his coaching staff. The offensive sets, if you even want to call them that, were dreadful. Too many players are standing around the perimeter, waiting and watching for one of their teammates to do something. Where are the high-low screens? Where are the pick-and-rolls? What about setting up isolation plays for Cliff or even Gavin?

They're just not there. Surely, Steve learned something regarding offense from Jim Calhoun, right? As much as I love the guy and his enthusiasm, basketball is more than just defense. And right now, even our defense is subpar. It doesn't take talent but effort to block out and move your feet. When you're getting outrebounded because you're not blocking out and the other team is getting 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th attempts, of course you're going to get beaten. Pike and his overall philosophy have to change, especially with the studs coming in next year.

Reactions: Scangg and RUJMM78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT