ADVERTISEMENT

Play fake to no one

RUShea

Junior
Jan 31, 2017
We seem to play action to an empty backfield or to the opposite side of the RB quite a bit. I don't get it. I can't imagine it fools defenders. It would seem all it accomplishes is to lose valuable time looking down field and lessen protection time. Is there a reason or benefit I'm missing?

Reactions: Local Shill
well. we hit a huge play last week on it.. which I found strange.

maybe the idea is that for players keying on the QB.. focussing on him.. they never really see the RB.. so it doesn't matter if one is there or not

there are lots of "keys" for defenses... based on position and down and distance.. does the OG opposite you pull.. does the OL fire out or stand up.. which way does the RB break.. this is especially true in option defenses with very specific assignments.. QB, pitch man, dive back.. and the offense keys as well.. does the LB or DB play man or zone.. does he turn upfield or outside.. if showing blitz, does he blitz.. is it really only 6 in the box or are others cheating in.. etc.

I think this is why GS has CBs only focus on the man they are covering.. they go where he goes and read him.. they never take a peek at the QB and can never be clued or fooled by anything he does.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUShea
I don’t think it is fooling anyone and don’t understand it with an empty backfield. Blackledge mentioned it on the TV broadcast against Mich. The worst part is that the QB has to turn his back to the D and then take a deep drop. Against OSU that can be a sack waiting to happen. Don’t get it.

Reactions: RUShea
I have never understood an empty backfield when the QB is not a talented runner.

well. we hit a huge play last week on it.. which I found strange.

maybe the idea is that for players keying on the QB.. focussing on him.. they never really see the RB.. so it doesn't matter if one is there or not

there are lots of "keys" for defenses... based on position and down and distance.. does the OG opposite you pull.. does the OL fire out or stand up.. which way does the RB break.. this is especially true in option defenses with very specific assignments.. QB, pitch man, dive back.. and the offense keys as well.. does the LB or DB play man or zone.. does he turn upfield or outside.. if showing blitz, does he blitz.. is it really only 6 in the box or are others cheating in.. etc.

I think this is why GS has CBs only focus on the man they are covering.. they go where he goes and read him.. they never take a peek at the QB and can never be clued or fooled by anything he does.
Very well said Goodol'.

Defenses assignments are very specific and many times complex. This used to frustrate me as well. Until I was watching a game with brother in laws buddy, who played and coached at UMD. He explained it much like you said but added, it's usually a check down on the line of scrimmage by QB "if one of the defenders sees the QB faking to the wrong side, it may cause them to hesitate a split second thinking it is a busted play." It is all about eye discipline. So it doesn't matter so much which side the fake is or if there is anyone there for the person assigned to him but it may cause confusion if no one is there.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
I just think if you are going to throw the ball on 2nd or 3nd down with an empty backfield (regardless if it is a check or play adjust), the idea is to get the ball out pretty quickly. That is a slow developing play and I think plays into the hands of a team with a quick athletic DL.

Vedral is #2 in yards and YPC for QBs in the B1G. Whether people view him as a talented runner or not, he has been effective enough.
But how many carries? That's part of the early problem too. He did very well vs Michigan... but prior to that he did not carry often nor did he do the RPO well.. decision-wise.. nor did he throw the ball away when he should have. I think THAT is why people criticized him and I'd imagine that he criticized himself too.. because he looks to have worked on correcting some of these issues... including making the throw when he should and not second-guessing it to a point where the throw is not there (though as the announcers pointed it, it did cost us a 1st down on one pass).

Don’t like it, I don’t care what the reason (it may be good)
Think it’s ridiculous because it happens so late in drop

Reactions: beaced
Defense still has to look for an end around on the play fake. Cruikshank and Melton end arounds probably are being looked for by the defense.

Reactions: William J. Leggett
The RB has the option to be involved for the playaction, stay in to block if needed, or go into a pass pattern. The QB completes the playaction regardless I think to potentially fake the 2nd and 3rd level of the D who may not see where the RB is, and also as to not throw off the timing of the pass routes.

The RB has the option to be involved for the playaction, stay in to block if needed, or go into a pass pattern. The QB completes the playaction regardless I think to potentially fake the 2nd and 3rd level of the D who may not see where the RB is, and also as to not throw off the timing of the pass routes.
Sage analysis from the poster named read option!!!

Reactions: beaced and GORU2014
There’s also the fact no one else seems to do it.
Watch this tape of the GOAT, who refuses to turn his back to the defense.
Read option fake doesn’t require turning your back

Last edited:
Reactions: beaced and RUShea
Saw it 2 or 3 times. Might even have been Jones in a Giants game but not sure of that. Sorry I’m too old to find and post videos but I assure you I have seen other teams do it.

Reactions: beaced and zappaa
There’s also the fact no one else seems to do it.
Watch this tape of the GOAT, who refuses to turn his back to the defense.
Read option fake doesn’t require turning your back
Now THAT.. I love. I just don't understand making your QB turn his back on the LOS.. especially on passing plays. We got killed on that vs Syracuse in 2009.. and then all of 2010 EXCEPT for the Cuse game (because we ran a different O that game). The 2010 opponents must have all watched that 2009 cuse game tape.

There is a video from chiefs game in 2013. Title. Alex Smith fake handoff to no one, defense still buys it. Best I can do.
with Alex Smith out there you are playing pass-first. if we made teams fear our passing, perhaps the evaluation of things would change

It seems like we take way too much time with most of the plays. If it is going to be a short pass, it needs to done very quickly. Our screens look like we are playing in mud.
Stop attacking the middle of the defense so much and get the ball to someone in a hurry. We need to play with a sense of urgency.
Vedral is definitely a solid runner. He usually picks up yardage.

I as a defensive coach LOVE the opposing QB to do anything that costs him time. The longer it takes you to do your thing, the better for us. Against any defense of mine, u make a quick and good decision or u pay dearly. If u do, I tip my hat and get u on the next one.
The fake to nobody is out thinking yourself. It fools nobody and make u look like an effin' moron. I laugh every time I see it.Turning your back on the play is just next level stupid costing you even more time having to re-aquire your targets.
Tom Brady NEVER fakes to phantoms and his eyes are always down the field. That should be all you need to know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT