ADVERTISEMENT

Players Are Stepping Up!!!!

BrycesUncle

Junior
Gold Member
Apr 4, 2007
Don't crush me, what do you guys think.... My post is not to down any player, but it's to uplift the guys who have worked hard to earn playing time. Coach Schiano said that anyone on the two deep deserves to play and outplayed the other competition...... The coaches IMHO are doing a great job so far. Some say that certain players should be playing rather than the players that the coaches have picked in the two deep....................

Player #1 I have read where some say that Shameen Jones should not be on the two deep based on his previous performances. The coaches think different and they are at the practices. This young man has obviously bought in, worked hard and stepped his game up and beat out his competitors................

Player #2 Ireland Burke, because of his size some anointed him automatically on the two deep. Apparently he is not what many have thought that he would be right now. Maybe he needs more time to develop. Size don't always matter if your performance don't match up. Why did he leave BC, was it that he was buried on the depth chart. If that was the case, then don't think that lower depth chart players from other teams are automatically going to come to RU and play. We do have some good players too. I don't know that answer.....................

Player #3 Aron Cruickshank crazy speed and a good returner. but that don't always translate well on offense. I feel that the deep ball that was thrown to him should have been caught and he dropped it. He reminds me of Janarion Grant awesome speed, great returner but didn't translate well to a good slot receiver. He dropped a lot of passes until he finally started catching passes. It's gonna take time for him to get acclimated and develop into a good slot receiver from the KR role..........................

Player #4 Guy Fava he did an amazing job. He was spot on. I know that most have this affinity towards Just Davidovicz who is a great player, but unless some folks know something else that the rest of us don't know, he must have out played Justin and won the position. Unknown as to why the short designed kick offs but sometime players work hard and step up and outplay our favorite players.....................

The coaches came is and cleaned the slate for all players and the ones who stepped up and bought in are the ones that will play. Yes some previous starters will emerge again if they have worked hard. Bottom line is that many players stepped up and they deserve to play. If coaches went with who the board's favorite players are, then we will be the same old RU and losing games. Give the stepped up players a chance to do their thing....... What do you guys think....

Shameen Jones has always possessed the potential. IMHO he never was able to grow as a receiver from his start at RU. QB issues ....coaching was not good... the offensive scheme did little for the WR Corp including Bo Melton. There were 3-4 passes that should have been caught by our guys yesterday that fell incomplete. One was a touchdown in my opinion. It’s all about getting the ball to them and then relaxing and focusing on making the catch.

Shameen deserves to play and showed it.

Gotta change the kickoffs though. Can do short once in a while but have to have the leg for touchbacks which Fava doesnt have apparently. Fava looked good on fgs.

Gotta change the kickoffs though. Can do short once in a while but have to have the leg for touchbacks which Fava doesnt have apparently. Fava looked good on fgs.

Guy Fava kicked several times last year on Kickoffs... 2 touchbacks so he can reach the end zone. The short pooch kicks wee by design. Not sure why but Fava is a very good kicker as is Davidowicz. Kicking game is looking overall solid.

Know Fava can do it (sometime) but stats show less distance over last year too. Let him do fg and JD kickoffs.

Reactions: RUbacker
Don't crush me, what do you guys think.... My post is not to down any player, but it's to uplift the guys who have worked hard to earn playing time. Coach Schiano said that anyone on the two deep deserves to play and outplayed the other competition...... The coaches IMHO are doing a great job so far. Some say that certain players should be playing rather than the players that the coaches have picked in the two deep....................

Player #1 I have read where some say that Shameen Jones should not be on the two deep based on his previous performances. The coaches think different and they are at the practices. This young man has obviously bought in, worked hard and stepped his game up and beat out his competitors................

Player #2 Ireland Burke, because of his size some anointed him automatically on the two deep. Apparently he is not what many have thought that he would be right now. Maybe he needs more time to develop. Size don't always matter if your performance don't match up. Why did he leave BC, was it that he was buried on the depth chart. If that was the case, then don't think that lower depth chart players from other teams are automatically going to come to RU and play. We do have some good players too. I don't know that answer.....................

Player #3 Aron Cruickshank crazy speed and a good returner. but that don't always translate well on offense. I feel that the deep ball that was thrown to him should have been caught and he dropped it. He reminds me of Janarion Grant awesome speed, great returner but didn't translate well to a good slot receiver. He dropped a lot of passes until he finally started catching passes. It's gonna take time for him to get acclimated and develop into a good slot receiver from the KR role..........................

Player #4 Guy Fava he did an amazing job. He was spot on. I know that most have this affinity towards Just Davidovicz who is a great player, but unless some folks know something else that the rest of us don't know, he must have out played Justin and won the position. Unknown as to why the short designed kick offs but sometime players work hard and step up and outplay our favorite players.....................

The coaches came is and cleaned the slate for all players and the ones who stepped up and bought in are the ones that will play. Yes some previous starters will emerge again if they have worked hard. Bottom line is that many players stepped up and they deserve to play. If coaches went with who the board's favorite players are, then we will be the same old RU and losing games. Give the stepped up players a chance to do their thing....... What do you guys think....
Good post.

Agree in general but Grant was a great slot receiver. He was not Timmy Brown but get him the ball in space. Cruickshank has the longest catch of the day and was WIDE open.

Agree on Jones. He played well. I think he was banged up last year.

Too early to give up on Burke or anyone else. Younger guys sometimes need seasoning especially inside players. Turner now is 5x better than Turner a few years ago and even better than last year.

Again, I agree the best players always play. Coaches are not perfect but they see way more than we do. The best players will see the field anywhere you go as long as they work hard and have a good attitude.

Know Fava can do it (sometime) but stats show less distance over last year too. Let him do fg and JD kickoffs.
Wasn’t Davidowicz our primary kicker in 2019 except the last 4 games . Fava had 11 kickoffs with 2 touch backs. How many were pooch type kicks out of the 9 which were not touchbacks.

Davidovicz may come back. Left the team when season cancelled to pursue something else , now trying to work his way back.

Reactions: RUnTeX

These are mostly fair comments.

Jones worked hard and improved. People (myself included) were down on him because in Art's first year he would get open and drop almost every deep ball that was catchable and never showed real progress after that. So credit to him and the coaches.

Burke is still a raw player that needs some molding. A lot of people used the playing time at BC as the reason to anoint him immediately into the two-deep while ignoring how bad BC's DL was last year which forced them to play him. Panagos will make him into a very productive player.

Don't get too down on Cruickshank yet, he probably saw more snaps yesterday on offense than his whole time at Wisconsin. Yeah he had 2 drops but so did Melton on catchable balls. He should improve each week and be a nice option in the slot. Also, the playbook is only partially installed so there will be more wrinkles added in over the next few weeks to take advantage of his talents.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT