ADVERTISEMENT

When will CBB coaches get together and decide something needs to be done about this portal mess?

When college coaches get together and discuss why they are making a stupid amount of money

So tired of this BS.

Not everyone is entitled to the same things. Most these players fizzle out and leave their schools in a year. They don't sign contracts. Nothing compared to a good HC under contract. I woulda played ball gladly for a free education bc i'm still paying off loans.

NIL is cool, but it's just a Trojan horse for the pay to play crowd. And that crowd is misguided to put it nicely.

Last edited:
I can't imagine that college coaches are happy with this situation. They now have to re-recruit all of their players every year. And a large number of them have to rebuild their rosters every year. When are they going to band together and come up with a proposal to take to the NCAA to get this mess under control?
It was under control. It was called "sit out year transfer rule" (not including grads) and so many of these same coaches complained about the guys they were trying to bring in not getting waivers to play right away and combined with the stupid "outcry" of coaches being able to leave and coach right away while the poor players were left behind led the NCAA to throw up their hands and just let anyone leave and play immediately. Not going to put that toothpaste back in the tube now. That was the solution and it was pretty effective They blew it. No idea what they can do now in the new era of the courts being involved in NCAA matters.

It’s the NIL rule that can’t be changed due to the court ruling.

Is that true though?

The ruling came about because the NCAA allowed NO opportunity for college athletes to profit from their own name image and likeness

And rightly so. The ncaa rules were absurd

But did the ruling say that the NCAA (or some other entity) can’t place ANY guidelines on how it’s done? I highly doubt it .

I highly doubt the ruling went there - I highly doubt the ruling said that the NIL landscape must be the lawless Wild West that it is right now

I’m not a lawyer but I know how land regulation (zoning) works - so i can draw parallels to that.

A town can’t regulate land in a way that zones a property into inutility (eg zoning a privately owned land for open space) - taking away all economic value. That’s a taking. And that was basically the ncaa rules prior to the supreme courts ruling.

But towns absolutely have the ability to regulate land as long as that regulation is reasonable (with that being based on myriad factors)

Similarly - I have to assume that the NCAA (or some other entity) can come up with regulations, compliant with the supreme courts ruling, that provides some structure to NIL while still allowing college athletes to profit off their name, image , likeliness in a reasonable manner.

Last edited:
Reactions: IL Lusciato
I never got the wailing about coaches can leave all the time why cant players

Well these coaches are adult men with proven track records winning championships and turning programs around. Meanwhile 18 year olds...

Meanwhile the 18 year old are just as in demand as the adult coaches.

I think NIL deals should all be 4 year deals tied to the player / school

Nil donations are split across 4 years, shared between player NIL & non NIL program funds.

Payable;
Player Year 1 10%
Year 2 15% -
Year 3 25% -
Year 4 50% -

Kid stays 4 years keeps 100%.
Kid leaves after 1 year, he gets 10% school gets remaining 90%.

Leaves early, rest of unpaid portion goes to school program donation fund

You can transfer, but lose out on rest of player deal, player portion goes to program funds on xfer out.

Pay the players, but have a reward for multiple seasons at same school & have donor funds go to player & school. Donors don't just rent a player for a year, it's a 4 year commitment to school & player. Player bolts, school gets remaining $. Might curb some sending on year after year pay for season mercenaries.

Thoughts?
That's great if you want to drop to D2 level recruiting. No player is going to agree to those terms.

That's great if you want to drop to D2 level recruiting. No player is going to agree to those terms.
I'm not suggested it is only fur RU, has to be NCAA or Big 2 Association policy change to NIL/Portal.

Also grad transfer 100% to player

Non NIL portion could help fund non revenue Olympic sports.(Rising tide lifts all boats)

This pays players & promoted stability for teams/coaches.
Doesn't completely restrict players from transferred out if desired.
Encourages player stability to stay at school to earn degree.
Donors that want to buy a team can have funds go to Olympic sports when 1&dones move on

Reactions: IL Lusciato
I'm not suggested it is only fur RU, has to be NCAA or Big 2 Association policy change to NIL/Portal.

Also grad transfer 100% to player

Non NIL portion could help fund non revenue Olympic sports.(Rising tide lifts all boats)

This pays players & promoted stability for teams/coaches.
Doesn't completely restrict players from transferred out if desired.
Encourages player stability to stay at school to earn degree.
Donors that want to buy a team can have funds go to Olympic sports when 1&dones move on
Okay, you're clearly not getting that the courts would consider that a restraint on athletes being able to earn their full value. They only way that could even be considered is if the NCAA was given an antitrust exemption by Congress and it was collectively bargained. And no union is going to accept those terms.

Okay, you're clearly not getting that the courts would consider that a restraint on athletes being able to earn their full value. They only way that could even be considered is if the NCAA was given an antitrust exemption by Congress and it was collectively bargained. And no union is going to accept those terms.
The Supreme Court expressly said the conferences or the individual schools could do it, just not the NCAA.

Really? Because there is a very limited pool of coaches and a dime a dozen hoops players

Was Gavin a dime a dozen?
Are Dylan/Ace?
Who is the top center in the portal?
Is he dime a dozen?
Why bother running off Simpson if players are dime a dozen?

If players were actually "dime a dozen" then why even offer scholarships? Just taken any 13 players off the scrap heap and put a team together.

Reactions: G- RUnit
They would be sued and have to back off even if they tried imo Jerry
I don’t understand how the courts can rule against the league for making rules for the league they run ?? If Rutgers decided to start lining up 5 yards offsides every play, and the NCAA tried to say that’s breaking the rules then we could just sue them? .. if the NCAA said after you enter the transfer portal twice you lose 1 year of eligibility why cant they make their own rules? Why cant a player sue who played 4 full years and get a 5th? Challenge your eligibility every year and play 6, 7 full seasons? The NCAA is the league, they should be allowed to make their own rules!

I never got the wailing about coaches can leave all the time why cant players

Well these coaches are adult men with proven track records winning championships and turning programs around. Meanwhile 18 year olds...
I agree. A professor can freely change jobs and teach at a new university, does that mean students should be allowed to transfer freely without needing to transfer their credits and get accepted by the new school? I don’t want to hear it from the players.

It sounds like the NCAA is actually trying to prevent this in court, but they are getting shut down:

“In court documents, the NCAA has said the plaintiffs “seek to remake collegiate athletics and replace it with a system of perpetual and unchecked free agency.”

From the AP.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT